Watch Dynamic Dorka | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Watch Dynamic Dorka

Reaction Score
She sure does her fair share of standing around on defense and offense, I would imagine that’s going to have to change if she expects to see minutes.

Reaction Score
He benched Stewie (during one of the match-ups with SMU I believe?) her Senior year, so yes. If he will bench Stewie her Senior year, he will literally bench anyone, even Paige. If Fudd plays a game like a dud, he will bench her like a stick in the mud.
I mean [by benching] replacing her in the starting lineup, eh? Can you think of anyone besides just a one-game benching? I don't think so. Therefore, I think it's cast in stone that Liv will start every game [barring injury] How many minutes she will get is another issue...

Reaction Score
He benched Stewie (during one of the match-ups with SMU I believe?) her Senior year, so yes. If he will bench Stewie her Senior year, he will literally bench anyone, even Paige. If Fudd plays a game like a dud, he will bench her like a stick in the mud.
:)

Reaction Score
She sure does her fair share of standing around on defense and offense, I would imagine that’s going to have to change if she expects to see minutes.
I’m sure it will. Geno’s system is designed to get people to move around. In some of the footage I have seen, she does seem to have moments of excellent offensive movement. I think that’ll be more consistent under a Geno

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Olivia and Dorka spent most of their time playing fundamentally different positions - Ono has been and will continue being the center at both ends of the floor. Dorka has been primarily a stretch four at both ends of the floor. She may have played defensively against Oliva, but when they needed beef in the post her fellow transfer Patty was called. They both like more finesse, but ONO has accepted the post defensive position more than Dorka.

The stats are amazingly compatible with two things standing out to me - Dorka shoots a lot more threes (but not very efficiently) and Liv is a much better passer with a significantly better A/TO (Liv after freshman year has been well above 1.0, Dorka has never been close to that.)

Uconn will be better having both on the team, and Dorka may get as many minutes in tandem with Liv as without Liv on the floor. When Liv isn't on the floor, I expect Aaliyah will be playing center. I also do not see Dorka as a plug and play transfer - she is going have to work hard to get minutes on offense and especially on defense.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I mean [by benching] replacing her in the starting lineup, eh? Can you think of anyone besides just a one-game benching? I don't think so. Therefore, I think it's cast in stone that Liv will start every game [barring injury] How many minutes she will get is another issue...
No Geno benched both Stewie and Tuck after 5 minutes into the game against Memphis because he didn't like the way the game started out. Many people believe the reason why he did it was to fire the two up for the South Carolina game, scheduled two days later. But Geno stated that they (Stewie and Tuck) were not playing hard and deserved to sit. While the cast in stone is kind of shaky, because Geno had already come out after the final four loss and put Liv on notice that she needs to improve in certain areas or AE might be getting more time based on her recent all around improvements in her play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On Geno 'benching' a two year starter (and AA) I am reminded of Hartley (of the Hartley unit of measure fame) who became sixth woman on an NC team when Doty became the starter. Harley had been the starter from her freshman year and was an AA as a sophomore.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Evina's experience is any indication, I think Dorka's passing and A/TO ratio will improve a lot in the UConn offense.

There is enough of a structure in that offense so that bad passes really shouldn't happen very often. By "bad passes", I don't mean risky passes where someone tries to thread the needle to get a pass into the post or to an open shooter who is some distance away. Those are part of the offense, and if they fail they almost always result in a turnover. If they work two third of the time (which is probably the rough expectation), that results in an A/TO ratio of 2:1 just on those passes.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Geno has said that about Paige and Liv and Maya and Tina and DT and .... not to mention his various worst post players in america, and can't jump higher than a piece of paper, or got as many rebounds as a dead man, or can't guard a chair players through the years. It is motivation and he doesn't do that with the players he doesn't think can and will work hard to prove he is full of c__p.

If you take him seriously, you wonder how he ever gets his teams above .500 each year. So, Liv played a crap game against AZ, so did most of the rest of the team - Uconn's vaunted defense? gave up 69 points to a team averaging 66.
Hmmm? he's got a point there.

Reaction Score
Olivia and Dorka spent most of their time playing fundamentally different positions - Ono has been and will continue being the center at both ends of the floor. Dorka has been primarily a stretch four at both ends of the floor. She may have played defensively against Oliva, but when they needed beef in the post her fellow transfer Patty was called. They both like more finesse, but ONO has accepted the post defensive position more than Dorka.

The stats are amazingly compatible with two things standing out to me - Dorka shoots a lot more threes (but not very efficiently) and Liv is a much better passer with a significantly better A/TO (Liv after freshman year has been well above 1.0, Dorka has never been close to that.)

Uconn will be better having both on the team, and Dorka may get as many minutes in tandem with Liv as without Liv on the floor. When Liv isn't on the floor, I expect Aaliyah will be playing center. I also do not see Dorka as a plug and play transfer - she is going have to work hard to get minutes on offense and especially on defense.
This is truly excellent analysis. Dorka is a natural four, so she is likely to start at that position. Alijah is also a natural four, but with an entirely different game that adapts well to the five. The assumption from many is that she would replace Liv as a starter, which doesn’t really make any sense. Far more intuitive is to let Liv always play the five, Dorka always play the four and Alijah back up both, but with equal minutes. Essentially three starters for those two positions. The younger post players will just have to wait a year.

Reaction Score
Geno has said that about Paige and Liv and Maya and Tina and DT and .... not to mention his various worst post players in america, and can't jump higher than a piece of paper, or got as many rebounds as a dead man, or can't guard a chair players through the years. It is motivation and he doesn't do that with the players he doesn't think can and will work hard to prove he is full of c__p.

If you take him seriously, you wonder how he ever gets his teams above .500 each year. So, Liv played a crap game against AZ, so did most of the rest of the team - Uconn's vaunted defense? gave up 69 points to a team averaging 66.
You're right about the team being bad on both ends of the floor but a couple of things to consider about AZ scoring about their average 1) they hit some crazy shots and 2) because Uconn's offense was so bad and they were playing from behind, seems they spent the last two minutes or so of the game sending AZ to the free throw line every time they had the ball. If Uconn's offense was up to par they wouldn't have been playing desperate at the end and AZ wouldn't have gotten all of those "free points" at the end of the game to eclipse their game average.

Reaction Score
This is truly excellent analysis. Dorka is a natural four, so she is likely to start at that position. Alijah is also a natural four, but with an entirely different game that adapts well to the five. The assumption from many is that she would replace Liv as a starter, which doesn’t really make any sense. Far more intuitive is to let Liv always play the five, Dorka always play the four and Alijah back up both, but with equal minutes. Essentially three starters for those two positions. The younger post players will just have to wait a year.
I'm pretty sure we'll have some experimenting using all 3 women in different combinations, including playing 3 at the same time. Designating one player as a starter may not be necessary. Geno will deploy according to the needs at the moment.
What I'm really interested in is how much offensive boost Dorka can bring to the team. We are lacking in point production in the paint, especially when a perfect pass is caught and not scored. Hopefully Dorka will bring more consistent conversion of passes that find her. Clearly the newbie isn't a banger, but I think Aaliyah can fill that role nicely. Liv blocks 1.7 balls/game. Is that a lot?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Exactly my conclusion. It's crazy to talk about replacing Ono, but I'm thinking Oyes. Picture Dorka and Aaliyah together: makes me woozy. I'm even thinking about Caroline replacing Christyn . . . All that length in the middle with Slim and Azzi bringing it up--the sheer firepower. Wow.
Do you thk Carolines defense is gonna by good enuff at this level to upseat Christyn?

Reaction Score
Do you thk Carolines defense is gonna by good enuff at this level to upseat Christyn?
Of course I am only speculating. If Christyn's defense hadn't improved so much, I'd say that we could replace a pure shooter (CW) with someone who could both shoot and defend (maybe Caroline). I'm thinking that with Paige and Azzi there's plenty of firepower w/out Williams, and if Liv plays less, some height is sacrificed. The addition of Dorka shifts thinking about using 3 pure guards. Caroline's addition would replace a shorter guard (CW).
But I expect Geno to stay with Williams unless something happens before next season begins, or if Christyn has one of her extended scoring lapses.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure we'll have some experimenting using all 3 women in different combinations, including playing 3 at the same time. Designating one player as a starter may not be necessary. Geno will deploy according to the needs at the moment.
What I'm really interested in is how much offensive boost Dorka can bring to the team. We are lacking in point production in the paint, especially when a perfect pass is caught and not scored. Hopefully Dorka will bring more consistent conversion of passes that find her. Clearly the newbie isn't a banger, but I think Aaliyah can fill that role nicely. Liv blocks 1.7 balls/game. Is that a lot?
Dorka could totally be the 3 in a big line up with Liv and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/OSUseasonstats030820-1.pdf This is the link to Ohio St Womens BB stats

I suggest you fans go to Ohio St women's BB and read DJs stats Yes she shot this seaosn.. the trey at 20% and FT at 43 % and 48% from the floor. Liv will see alot of time as will Amari.
I agree about Liv and Amari. I just don't think it is because of those stats. It's been talked about on the board that Dorka had covid and an injury this year where she missed time so don't think her stats this year are too relevant. Her sophomore numbers are probably a better indicator.

Reaction Score
Has anyone compared their stats when it comes to blocks? I think that is a pretty big deal for a post player. And I almost forgot, Liv is the BE Co-Defensive Player of the Year so I am guessing that she will be in the starting lineup.
Good point about Liv's blocks; if she could step away and shoot or score from the foul line this is discussion is a no brainer. But Ono has yet to demonstrate those skills. But if she spends all her summer gym time on those shots and develops that skill Liv could be the all around player we hoped for.

Reaction Score
Liv's stat from last season is almost across the board better than Dorka. Dorka is a good player but so is Liv despite what some people like to say otherwise. As I said in another thread, if you are going to judge someone just by highlights video, go look at Liv's as well.
Liv lost a lot of " footing" in the last couple of games where she blew lay-ups and put backs far too frequently. By " footing" I mean; the confidence of the coaching staff and ( likely ) her teammates. It was like watching a batter hit into double plays every time a rally was possible. She simply did not show up as the complete player needed in that moment. Maybe Geno's words ( Liv is a senior next year..etc. ) will spur her on to greatness.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Since the DJ thread has been closed guess this is the best place for this info.

There is an article out in The Athletic today in which talking about developing her game at UConn, DJ suggests she intends to stay two years.

“I have a chance to be there for two years just to kind of build myself into a team,” she said. “I loved Ohio State. I love the girls here and everything. It was a basketball decision for me.”

“What I really liked about Coach Geno is just he can only promise an opportunity and that’s all I need — an opportunity to fight for my role,” she said.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Since the DJ thread has been closed guess this is the best place for this info.

There is an article out in The Athletic today in which talking about developing her game at UConn, DJ suggests she intends to stay two years.

“I have a chance to be there for two years just to kind of build myself into a team,” she said. “I loved Ohio State. I love the girls here and everything. It was a basketball decision for me.”

“What I really liked about Coach Geno is just he can only promise an opportunity and that’s all I need — an opportunity to fight for my role,” she said.

The meaning of the name Dorka is "gift from God" as a derivation from the Greek name Dorothea. Let's hope she lives up to the moniker.

Reaction Score
She has skills that ONO doesn't. Should be a good complement. Dorka, AE & ONO gives UConn a good chance against the elites who have superior size & post play.

Of course. There is a limited number of minutes that can be played. We talk about "complimenting" ONO in terms of abilities. But there will be DeBerry who wants minutes, perhaps Gabriel, who is getting better. ONO. And then Poffenbarger and Ducharme, who are big enough to be in the mix for front court.

Coach Geno seems to be hinting that he has a lot of kids, and he's not going to decide who starts, and just go with that. He will look to each player to convince him by their practice efforts and practice performance that they deserve to be on the court. So next season looks to be cutthroat in the struggle for playing time. I don't think Coach Geno will show any loyalty to anyone. If ONO doesn't improve, she goes to the bench. If Juhasz shows more guts, she gets the nod.

It's going to be rough for the players, and I'm guessing that the camaraderie that UConn players have always developed will be seriously challenged.

Reaction Score
It’ll be interesting to see how many minutes Dorka will get, if she was sitting out a year and learning the system that would probably help her more in the long run. Also keep in mind she had six points in a game vs Maryland as well as one point in a game vs Michigan, so two of her bigger games of the season she didn’t really dominate, Hillman also dropped 50 points in one of those games, Dorka does rebound the ball consistently though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom