Was today an example of inferior players at their worst? | The Boneyard

Was today an example of inferior players at their worst?

Reaction Score
A common refrain in pool is: "If you can't shoot - shoot hard." A Positive sign of an inferior player. Most of the teams that UCONN plays have inferior players - so the play dirty - they are simply not good enough to play the game correctly - like these clowns today.

Reaction Score
Which is a worse women's basketball league? AAC or Big East?

Reaction Score
A common refrain in pool is: "If you can't shoot - shoot hard." A Positive sign of an inferior player. Most of the teams that UCONN plays have inferior players - so the play dirty - they are simply not good enough to play the game correctly - like these clowns today.
Pray you never have to share a court with Missouri. Four quarters of hack/grab/ flop, year after year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The physical play has been around for ever. But I would say Uconn/DePaul wasn't particularly bad - Morrow and Edwards are both physical post players and they were going at each other pretty hard but not in a dirty way and the refs kept a good lid on it with the way they called the game - not a lots of fouls called overall, but they called the 'right' ones to keep the game civil.

I think a lot is on the refs especially, and coaches as well. We have seen what feels to me a unusual amount of really bad situations on court in women's games this year and it seems in some of these the coaches have poured gasoline on the flames that the refs failed to control to start with. Not an easy situation for the refs when two teams get started, but it is usual a failure to call a few hard fouls early that lets things get started.

Reaction Score
The physical play has been around for ever. But I would say Uconn/DePaul wasn't particularly bad - Morrow and Edwards are both physical post players and they were going at each other pretty hard but not in a dirty way and the refs kept a good lid on it with the way they called the game - not a lots of fouls called overall, but they called the 'right' ones to keep the game civil.

I think a lot is on the refs especially, and coaches as well. We have seen what feels to me a unusual amount of really bad situations on court in women's games this year and it seems in some of these the coaches have poured gasoline on the flames that the refs failed to control to start with. Not an easy situation for the refs when two teams get started, but it is usual a failure to call a few hard fouls early that lets things get started.
Call the game tight early and you'll hear a chorus of, "let 'em play, let 'em play".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think some eyes need to go watch the PAC12 and the "hard" defense that Arizona deploys at will with little consequence. Those refs are brutal, plus add in the announcing of Mary Murphy and Joan Bonvicini and man, just awful.

As far as bad conferences, go take a look at the Big 12. I mean sure you have 4 fringe 16-30 ranking teams in Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas and Baylor but that is not pretty basketball. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, yuk! They add BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF which is the Big East opportunity to leap past this conference in esteem. We do need Georgetown, Xavier and PC to get coaches who up their OOC and win games though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Call the game tight early and you'll hear a chorus of, "let 'em play, let 'em play".
I don't think it is the tickytack fouls, hand checks and such that need to be called, but the grabbing and banging on off ball cutters that start escalating the frustrations and retaliations that need to be watched and called. It is what most of the coaches most people complain about teach their players to slow down better players, and what star players suffer from most - Griner vs. Louisville being a clear example. Hack a Shaq being the pro equivalent.

Reaction Score
I think some eyes need to go watch the PAC12 and the "hard" defense that Arizona deploys at will with little consequence. Those refs are brutal, plus add in the announcing of Mary Murphy and Joan Bonvicini and man, just awful.

As far as bad conferences, go take a look at the Big 12. I mean sure you have 4 fringe 16-30 ranking teams in Oklahoma, Iowa State, Texas and Baylor but that is not pretty basketball. Once Texas and Oklahoma leave, yuk! They add BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF which is the Big East opportunity to leap past this conference in esteem. We do need Georgetown, Xavier and PC to get coaches who up their OOC and win games though.
@DefenseBB is correct about the "hard" defense in PAC-12 play. However, I think USC Trojan defense is even more physical than any team in PAC-12. They get away with a lot, and after watching them vs OSU from court side seats, USC defense is borderline between excellent and criminal. I always tell my daughter who attends a lot of the games with me, I wouldn't want to be a NCAA WBB referee.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
DefenseBB and LoTrader - I do not disagree about Pac12, just find it somewhat amusing since the knock on the Pac12 NCAA results for years was always that the league was too much of a finesse league and they couldn't stand up to the physicality of SEC, Big10, and even the old BE. How times change.

Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more.

Reaction Score
Calling WBB players "dirty" either individually or collectively seems a bit extreme to me. Physical is not "dirty" And if you get too physical you should get called for it.
Thanks for an on point observation. The Huskies as well as other teams in the sport are coached to play with intensity and often physicality.

Some fans seem to jump at the opportunity to label rather than consider what is causing the physicality on the court to sometimes get out of hand. Listening to Bob Joyce call the game the other night he correctly observed that officiating is extraordinarily important, well coached players will react and depend upon the game to be called consistently from the opening tip. Failure to do that can lead to some of the incidents that we see on the court.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Close. Take away UConn very close.
I would say that the top half of the big east even removing Uconn is better than the top half of the AAC. 3 teams besides Uconn in the BE have been ranked this year - rankings in the 20s aren't all that impressive, but none of the AAC have been ranked this year. Maybe USF compares to Villanova, Creighton, Marquette, St Johns, and Seton Hall, but the rest of the American I think is below that level.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more.
Add Ann Schatz, if she still announces the Pac 12. She seems to try to be a female Dick Vitale with he "Oh Baby". To answer your question, inferior to UConn but not necessarily inferior talent.

Reaction Score

What are you talking about? What games are you watching that players are playing dirty

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I would say that the top half of the big east even removing Uconn is better than the top half of the AAC. 3 teams besides Uconn in the BE have been ranked this year - rankings in the 20s aren't all that impressive, but none of the AAC have been ranked this year. Maybe USF compares to Villanova, Creighton, Marquette, St Johns, and Seton Hall, but the rest of the American I think is below that level.
As the season goes on those early rankings seem have been unwarranted. At this date zero Big East teams have been really impressive, same with the AAC.

Reaction Score
So if you call the fouls early, it makes the teams play basketball, and not rugby. It's much more enjoyable when the game is played properly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As the season goes on those early rankings seem have been unwarranted. At this date zero Big East teams have been really impressive, same with the AAC.
Villanova is still ranked at 21, and both St Johns and Creighton were ranked as recently as three weeks ago. USF has just been ranked by the coaches. And if you look at any of the other services like Masseys or Warren Nolan they show a clear difference between the BE and the AAC.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Villanova is still ranked at 21, and both St Johns and Creighton were ranked as recently as three weeks ago. USF has just been ranked by the coaches. And if you look at any of the other services like Masseys or Warren Nolan they show a clear difference between the BE and the AAC.
And in reality which NBE teams have been impressive?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pray you never have to share a court with Missouri. Four quarters of hack/grab/ flop, year after year.
Have you guys played Georgia yet? Always a treat playing Coach Abe’s team

Reaction Score
Have you guys played Georgia yet? Always a treat playing Coach Abe’s team
It was close for three quarters in Athens. We led by 4 with about a minute to go in the 3rd, won by 17. Return trip to Columbia is our Senior Day, so I don’t expect that’ll be the case there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom