Was Lashlee Moreheaded today? | The Boneyard

Was Lashlee Moreheaded today?

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Not as many "fun" plays for the offense this week and tons of Newsome up the middle to kill clock. Playing the percentages.

This game had all the fingerprints of a classic HCRE game... including the W.

Defense wasn't amazing but they won the game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think the conservative second half was dictated by the score and also by the fact that we turned it over while aggressive in the first half. I think if the offense clicked a bit more in the first half, we wouldn't have seen the conservative calling in the second half (we wouldn't have needed to, either)...

Reaction Score
Three turnovers seemed to make him a bit more timid. That Beals TO was a killer. We were a different offense after that.

And in the second half when the Temple defense turned up the heat, they just flat blew up pretty much everything we tried.

Reaction Score
I’m watching Auburn right now...the one thing about this offense is it can get VERY run heavy quickly...and when the QB can run even a little it adds a whole other layer.

Reaction Score
I’m watching Auburn right now...the one thing about this offense is it can get VERY run heavy quickly...and when the QB can run even a little it adds a whole other layer.
It's a variant of the Wing-T. It's designed to be run heavy with misdirection.

Reaction Score
It's a variant of the Wing-T. It's designed to be run heavy with misdirection.
Yeah I know...and that is the one thing that is misunderstood about the spread in my opinion. I actually know a lot about the wing t since it was the offense that was run at the high school where I was a volunteer Assistant coach in the 90’s. Belly crosstrap plays in the Wing-T can sling a back for huge gains.

Reaction Score
Sure does seem like the offense was slowed by the UConn sideline going conservative rather than winning by increasing the lead. First down, Donald Brown run right. Opps, I meant 5'7", 180 Arkeel Newsome.

You truly are unbelievable. Happy as a clam during a four game losing streak, and miserable and whiny when we finally win a game.

Why are you convinced you are a UConn fan again?

Reaction Score
I would think the answer is yes.

I'm sure Edsall had two thoughts. One was that we had to be less quick between plays, because our defense had been so bad that we had to try to minimize, instead of maximize, the number of possessions each team has in a game. That is regardless of what plays you are running and would appear to be the correct judgment at this point.

The second point is that, unlike the geritol twins, when he had a lead that he didn't think the other team was going to be able to recover from if we didn't commit mistakes, he was going to do everything in his damn power not to make a big mistake. See, e.g., @Vanderbilt, September, 2011.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The score,
Turnovers,
Hopkins hurt,
Mensah still not 100%,
I imagine all these had more to do with playcalling than the Randy handcuffs. Just like everything else with a new offense and many new players, the coaches will adjust to players and situations over the course of the season.

The defense was very different too...but on the more aggressive side, not less.

Reaction Score
You truly are unbelievable. Happy as a clam during a four game losing streak, and miserable and whiny when we finally win a game.

Why are you convinced you are a UConn fan again?

Not happy with 4 game losing streak for UConn in 2017 (where they were outscored 196-112) any more than then the six game losing steak to close the 2016 campaign (where they were outscored 196-46). The difference being last season the average score in those 6 losses was 32-7.7 where as this year the average score during the 4 losses has been 49-28. And, there was a feeling of hope (UConn was in those games for a while as opposed to last year when it was over with the coin toss) and a sense of excitement at being able to score on the ground and through the air. Last year, two TDs and the air came out of the balloon.

So if I am given the choice betwwen depending on the offense to win the game by outscoring the opponent or keeping my fingers crossed hoping that 60 minutes of soft, prevent defense can hold up, I'll take my chances with Lashee.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If "handcuffed" means 28 points, I'm okay with that.

Agree with most of the other posted that there was a message to the offense today. Can't hold on to the ball? Watch the air get taken out of it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not happy with 4 game losing streak for UConn in 2017 (where they were outscored 196-112) any more than then the six game losing steak to close the 2016 campaign (where they were outscored 196-46). The difference being last season the average score in those 6 losses was 32-7.7 where as this year the average score during the 4 losses has been 49-28. And, there was a feeling of hope (UConn was in those games for a while as opposed to last year when it was over with the coin toss) and a sense of excitement at being able to score on the ground and through the air. Last year, two TDs and the air came out of the balloon.

So if I am given the choice betwwen depending on the offense to win the game by outscoring the opponent or keeping my fingers crossed hoping that 60 minutes of soft, prevent defense can hold up, I'll take my chances with Lashee.

What does this even mean? Our gameplan just worked...we won

Reaction Score
What does this even mean? Our gameplan just worked...we won

Agreed. We are all happy they won. But . . . I hope that the UConn offense continues to make big plays and game plans to outscore their opponents. I, for one, have zero confidence in the defense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The first quarter included a reverse, a true "Wildcat" play (if only because Williams is listed as a WR), a "Wildcat" reverse flea flicker, and even the interception (as bad of a throw as it was. It should have been thrown short to Dixon.) was 18 yards down field on 2nd down. In past years, every one of those plays would very well have been the aforementioned run up the middle. UConn was also 7-15 on 3rd down (5/8 in the 1st half). With past administrations they were lucky to get above 33% in most games.

The 3rd play in the 2nd Qtr. (1st & 10) was a bomb intended for Beals (Ball was in the air about 32 yards down field and toward the opposite sideline.), then the incomplete overthrow to Bloom on 2nd & 10, followed by another 3rd down conversion (Completed pass right at the sticks) that Shirreffs had the tendency to tuck and run in past years. On 3rd and 5 from the 21, Mayala did a quick hitch that took advantage of the corner's aggressiveness. In past years, last year in particular, Shirreffs played as if he was instructed not to throw the ball unless his receiver was wide open by 10 yards. The biggest difference between past administrations (including Edsall 1.0) is the confidence they are showing in the QB.

I noticed most of Newsome's runs were stretch/off tackle or draws. Not through the A gap, as they have for 3 years. Though interestingly enough his longest run of the afternoon was through the Center-Guard gap. The refs missed a offsides on another A-Gap run on the same drive.

Time of possession was almost exactly even for the game, and UConn had the ball 0:40 more than Temple in the second half, but it felt like the Defense was out there forever. That said, It seemed like Crocker got Browned more than Lashlee got Moreheaded. UConn had 3 down linemen on defensive most downs, but showed (if not actually) rush with 1-3 additional players. That is not a tenant of Crocker's 3-3-5, as I understand it.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agreed. We are all happy they won. But . . . I hope that the UConn offense continues to make big plays and game plans to outscore their opponents. I, for one, have zero confidence in the defense.
I don't know what big plays you are referring to, but they were on the defensive side of the ball. UConn had two TAINTS, in case you missed them. The defensive adjustments (i.e. commitment to rush 4-6) and not giving Marchi all day to pick apart the D were the difference in the game. A non-insignificant portion of defense is pressuring the offense into making mistakes.

Reaction Score
UConn had 3 down linemen on defensive most downs, but showed (if not actually) rush with 1-3 additional players. That is not a tenant of Crocker's 3-3-5, as I understand it.

Im pretty sure that IS one of the primary tenants of the 3-3-5. Especially Crocker's 3-3-5. Showing blitz, and bringing blitz from different angles is a large part of what BCrock did at Nova, and what the defense will eventually look like when the personnel is better suited for it. This was just a step in a direction closer to normal.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure that IS one of the primary tenants of the 3-3-5. Especially Crocker's 3-3-5. Showing blitz, and bringing blitz from different angles is a large part of what BCrock did at Nova, and what the defense will eventually look like when the personnel is better suited for it. This was just a step in a direction closer to normal.
Thanks for clearing that up.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Yep,the effectiveness of the 3-3-5 rush relies on pressure where you don't expect it. And of course a healthy dose of speedy guys.

Reaction Score
Just seeing this thread today....I'm in the camp of just glad we got the W and trust that the coaches did what they thought they needed to do to get the win.

I will highlight a couple items....

I know we're all aware that we are scoring more....but I hadn't really bothered to take a look for comparison. Edsall and Lashlee would need to totally turtle the offense for us to not score more than we have since we ended up in this conference.

So far this year we have scored a total of 170pts. in 6 games and scored 125 in the 4 conference games.

Here are the SEASON totals for our American Conference years:

2017 - 170 overall in 6 games and 125 in 4 conference games

2016 - 178 overall in 12 games and 117 in 8 conference games
2015 - 223 overall in 13 games and 152 in 8 conference games
2014 - 186 overall in 12 games and 115 in 8 conference games
2013 - 247 overall in 12 games and 175in 8 conference games

We have already scored more points in half a conference season than we did in all of 2014 and 2016.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom