want to jump into bbq smoking | Page 2 | The Boneyard

want to jump into bbq smoking

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This seems like what i do not want to start with.
Yes, August is right. I have friends who love their Traeger pellet smokers, but they do cost more than the electric Masterbuilts.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
If you want to get your feet wet with a Kamado the Char-Griller Akorn is cheap. It is also hard to tune in temps and doesn’t keep a perfect seal - so you get what you pay for. Makes good food, though, both smoking and grilling. Mine is on its last legs after 5 or 6 seasons but I’ve learned enough on it that I plan to upgrade to a big boy Kamado for Summer ‘23.

Reaction Score
Love my komodo kettle grill for smoking. For this month and partially next I've been smoking on my weber charcoal grill. That bad boy is basic, but with proper venting I can get 3+ hours smoking at 250. But I'm only smoking chops and chicken.

Love the komodo for the big stuff. I have the Vision model which is a Komodo Green Egg knock off, but works just as good. It seals perfectly, great vent control and cooks evenly. Only had it a year so I will eventually start using other accessories/tools for overnight smoking this summer. The Meater is my best friend for whole chickens (beer can, smoked or even the rotisserie) and pork shoulders on the komodo. With wifi/bluetooth I'm able to keep the lid closed for hours. The rotisserie is a game changer for a large basket of wings and whole chickens.

Damn I think its time to get going here in CT.
1648757928990.png

Reaction Score
Any cooks here using injectors? I am ready to start but not sure what and how to get started.

Does it make a big and noticeable difference? And if so what exactly are the benefits and what meats do you use it for?

Also do you still need to marinate meats using the injector, or is the time shortened?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Any cooks here using injectors? I am ready to start but not sure what and how to get started.

Does it make a big and noticeable difference? And if so what exactly are the benefits and what meats do you use it for?

Also do you still need to marinate meats using the injector, or is the time shortened?

Yes.

I inject my brisket with a beef broth mixture. Thats really the only one.

Ive injected pork shoulder with a different mix, find its not necessary.

I dont marinate meats that I low and slow smoke.

Although Ive done tri-tip that were injected and marinated on put on a couple hour higher temp smoke that came out very nice, but I can make it just as good other ways without the work.

Otherwise I'm simply not a marinade guy anyway. If Im cooking good steaks (Ribeyes, strips, filets) you are a heretic if you marinate them.

Flank and skirt and such take maridades fantastic, and always marinate them, but those are hot and fast cooks. You could experiment with injection, but not really necessary either.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I use a WSM with a temperature controller, a BBQ Guru DigiQ Dx2. Set and forget. I prefer the taste of real fire smoke and the ability to do hot and fast smokes as well.

This is after owning an electric and propane smoker in the past. I haven’t looked back!

Reaction Score
Yes.

I inject my brisket with a beef broth mixture. Thats really the only one.

Ive injected pork shoulder with a different mix, find its not necessary.

I dont marinate meats that I low and slow smoke.

Although Ive done tri-tip that were injected and marinated on put on a couple hour higher temp smoke that came out very nice, but I can make it just as good other ways without the work.

Otherwise I'm simply not a marinade guy anyway. If Im cooking good steaks (Ribeyes, strips, filets) you are a heretic if you marinate them.

Flank and skirt and such take maridades fantastic, and always marinate them, but those are hot and fast cooks. You could experiment with injection, but not really necessary either.

With flank and shirt i regularly use this recipe as marinate

August_West

Reaction Score
I use a WSM with a temperature controller, a BBQ Guru DigiQ Dx2. Set and forget. I prefer the taste of real fire smoke and the ability to do hot and fast smokes as well.

This is after owning an electric and propane smoker in the past. I haven’t looked back!

Now THAT is the way. The Fan and temp mods of a WSM. Have it on one of mine. Still needs tending on a brisket or huge pork shoulder length smoke, but really works well.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Just started smoking meats two months ago here in Australia. Bought a Louisiana Grill from Costco with the competition blend pellets and have done two pulled porks, a lamb roast and several racks of ribs along with more “normal” bbq stuff like sausages, steaks, etc.

For smoking, the electric temperature probe (for the pork should and lamb) were critical and made it super easy to know when you’re done.

I basically use the recipes from this site (The Best Smoked BBQ Ribs You've Ever Tasted: Last Meal Ribs Recipe) which was highly recommended and rightly so. The notes on dry brining and dry rubs have been very helpful.

Good luck!

Reaction Score
Camp Chef With the side sear. Blue tooth controls and 4 probes for multiple cuts smoking at the same time. Did an 18 pound brisket on it in December and the probes were spot on when compared to standard meat thermometers. Smoked a spatch cocked Turkey on Thanks giving and it was great. Whole Boston Butt, ribs, chicken, wings etc all come out great. Wife even makes a smoked beef chili in it.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

I use the injector occasionally when I smoke a whole turkey. Really only use it if I do not have enough time set aside to do a brine. The injector is a nice tool, but really is just a secondary option for me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes, but I'm sure it costs more than the electric ones, which are decent starter smokers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never tried it, but I've heard the best time to smoke is after sex.

Reaction Score
Lesson #417 on why @August_West and I keep telling that you need a deli slicer.

Corned beef briskets on sale for 5.00 a piece after St Patty’s day. Ground peppercorns, coriander seeds and mustard seeds with some brown sugar. Let it stay rubbed for 48 hrs. Smoke at 220 for 5 hours.

2.5 lbs of homemade pastrami for 2.00 a pound.

Attachments

• 1AFACC4B-0C06-47BF-9F86-8DB1F060F60A.jpeg
    1AFACC4B-0C06-47BF-9F86-8DB1F060F60A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106

August_West

Reaction Score
Lesson #417 on why @August_West and I keep telling that you need a deli slicer.

Corned beef briskets on sale for 5.00 a piece after St Patty’s day. Ground peppercorns, coriander seeds and mustard seeds with some brown sugar. Let it stay rubbed for 48 hrs. Smoke at 220 for 5 hours.

2.5 lbs of homemade pastrami for 2.00 a pound.
Looks so great. I’m so proud of you young padwan , it brings a tear to my eye.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Three years ago Santa brought me a Masterbuilt propane smoker. I love it.

Most of the time I sent the thermostat at 250 degrees and smoke away. Cooks evenly even when using all four racks.

I've done ribs, roasts, briskets, and assorted vegetables.

I also have a Weber propane grill.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Time to bump the thread. Someone (kid most likely) didn't close the chest freezer all the way. So a big turkey breast was thawed, and needed to be cooked tonight. Wife's birthday, it's hot and sticky and she has a long drive from the Cape. So I say, I'll smoke it. Figure I only need 4-5 hours, start at lunch.

Apparently I forgot how to do this on my drum smoker. Charcoal probably not hot enough, so massive smoke pouring out. The neighbors called, fearing there was a fire. Then the heat spiked and even with dampers fully shut it stayed near 300. Some fat must have caused flare ups, because I managed to char a turkey breast. It's already off, hit 165. Will need to re-heat it for dinner. Don't smoke without a plan!

293477587_10221163583659539_190769689592481379_n.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom