waiting for Hurley to get tough | The Boneyard

waiting for Hurley to get tough

Reaction Score
He needs to watch and learn from Calhoun tapes. Those who do not perform, sit.

Too much buddy-buddy with his players. These players need a father figure, not a brother.

Reaction Score
Who is he brothers with?
Just watch him interact with the players when they come out of the game. Clap Clap Clap.
These players have heard that applause all of their basketball lives. Someone needs to tell them "Here is what you suck at. Fix it or sit."

Reaction Score
My biggest issue with Coach is his constant tinkering with the starting lineup. Its mid February and he's still switching players in and out of the lineup and then starts mixing up the rotations (no 6th, 7th, or 8th man.

I know some of its dictated on who's playing well and practice but his roster is what it is. Switching out Cole for Gaff, Polley for Adams for Polley may seem justified, but what impact does the uncertainty and inconsistency have on his players. More importantly how can they gel and play well together with so many changes?

I want to see a constant starting 5 with his best players and roll with them. Then substitute the best 6th man, then best 7th man and so forth. And adjust only for foul situations or if the game necessitates a guard or a big. Let the same crew grow, learn and develop with one another.

Just saying field 'the team' and then enhance or correct it as the game flows and stop with the game to game opening changes. Not every young player adjusts well to uncertainties with their playing time/schedule. This leads to fear of making mistakes, and a lot of unwillingness to take shots thinking if they miss they will be on the bench. Its like watching safety ball or defensive ball (while on offense).

Reaction Score
Just watch him interact with the players when they come out of the game. Clap Clap Clap.
These players have heard that applause all of their basketball lives. Someone needs to tell them "Here is what you suck at. Fix it or sit."
I don't see that changing, that's his style whether it works on not. I would bet it sells with recruits and their parents though.

Reaction Score
Hurley has said in the past that he's hard on players in practice but isn't during the games. That's his style.

We can't ask every coach that comes in here to be Calhoun. Hurley needs to stay true to himself. Emulating a different coaches style isn't going to help. Pretending to be someone else is how you lose your team. Whether that's at work or coaching a team.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Who is he brothers with?

B5LbsepCMAER8kk.jpg

Reaction Score
He needs to watch and learn from Calhoun tapes. Those who do not perform, sit.

Too much buddy-buddy with his players. These players need a father figure, not a brother.
Hate to break it to you, but this isn’t the movie Coach Carter. College basketball is a multi-billion dollar business, not a daycare.

Reaction Score
My biggest issue with Coach is his constant tinkering with the starting lineup. Its mid February and he's still switching players in and out of the lineup and then starts mixing up the rotations (no 6th, 7th, or 8th man.

I know some of its dictated on who's playing well and practice but his roster is what it is. Switching out Cole for Gaff, Polley for Adams for Polley may seem justified, but what impact does the uncertainty and inconsistency have on his players. More importantly how can they gel and play well together with so many changes?

I want to see a constant starting 5 with his best players and roll with them. Then substitute the best 6th man, then best 7th man and so forth. And adjust only for foul situations or if the game necessitates a guard or a big. Let the same crew grow, learn and develop with one another.

Just saying field 'the team' and then enhance or correct it as the game flows and stop with the game to game opening changes. Not every young player adjusts well to uncertainties with their playing time/schedule. This leads to fear of making mistakes, and a lot of unwillingness to take shots thinking if they miss they will be on the bench. Its like watching safety ball or defensive ball (while on offense).
Last year on Feb 12th we were playing our 24th game. The year before we had played 24 games on that date. Year before that 25, before that 24.

We've played 13 games.

This board just lives in some alternate version of reality.

Reaction Score

Last game he ripped Martin from midcourt, in his ear and onto the bench. A kid he recruited at another school.

What are you talking about?

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Hurley gets a free pass from me this year. Continuity has been a mess on so many levels, a lot of it is out of his control and all of it is a first for him too.

He’s a smart guy and he’ll be better prepared next year. There were high expectations but I think he’s doing his best navigating a young core through a pretty busted environment. See also: Kentucky, Duke. I’m cutting him some slack until next year.

Reaction Score
Yeah Hurley has his problems... this ain't one of them.

Good effort though. I'll give it a B-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I missed the ass rearing on Martin.

Was is it a specific play by Martin that got Huey spooled up?

Reaction Score
hurley is not the problem, the pandemic and bouknight out during the first season back in the great BE is. how soon we forget how much we sucked in the AAC.

you don’t think providence & seton hall , st johns were waiting for this? the real BE, not creighton, xavier, marqette

we lost multiple games to tulsa & smu. i want forget those years

are we playing gtown this yr? because they want revenge too.

Last edited:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

Yes. A terrible pass meant for Sanogo that ended up at the Dunkin Donuts Center.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't e

Yeah I'll admit this most recent regression has prompted me to go back to my AAC method of watching games, with the sound off and fast-forwarding through particularly brutal stretches, so I missed this too.

Reaction Score
Who would you hire in DH’s place? Calhoun isn’t coming back
I believe Hurley can do the job as soon as he realizes that he is not at a mid-major anymore. He must demand more if UCONN is to return to the elite. He knows how to get players and how to put an organization together. I think the problem is that at a Rhode Island, you get second tier players who are hungry- see for example his transfers from Howard and URI = motivated players. At UCONN your recruits been pampered because they were better than those around them. You can't pamper players if you want to elevate them. Calhoun and Auriemma proved that. Get tough with your best.

Reaction Score

Martin threw an entry pass off the backboard sparring a PC fast break. As we went to media timeout they showed Hurley giving him an ear full.

Reaction Score
I believe Hurley can do the job as soon as he realizes that he is not at a mid-major anymore. He must demand more if UCONN is to return to the elite. He knows how to get players and how to put an organization together. I think the problem is that at a Rhode Island, you get second tier players who are hungry- see for example his transfers from Howard and URI = motivated players. At UCONN your recruits been pampered because they were better than those around them. You can't pamper players if you want to elevate them. Calhoun and Auriemma proved that. Get tough with your best.

This baseless theorizing about dynamics within the team and how Hurley does or doesn't interact with his players is getting ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom