W10 clean reinstall. How? | The Boneyard

W10 clean reinstall. How?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have a five-year-old Dell laptop. It orignaly came with W7, and about a year ago I did the upgrade to W10. A couple of weeks ago it started getting very sluggish, and I had a friend who is computer knowledgeable take a look at it. He tells me that the problem has to do with having missed an important upgrade, which was provided at about the time I converted to W10, and that he has been unable to find a way to go back and install it. He says that, as a result, whenever new upgrades come down, they are going to screw up the computer He has it running pretty well now, but guarantees that it will not last. Having tried everything he knows to do, he says that a clean re-install is the only remedy, and I believe him.

Since I installed the present W10, I assume that the necessary program for a re-install must be on the computer, but I do not have a clue as to where to look for it. Would very much appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. I have an external hard drive on which all of my files are backed up. I am anxious to get on with it, while the computer is still behaving itself, so will monitor this thread closely.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction Score
You can download a tool to create install media from here: Download Windows 10

And then use a flash drive or burned DVD whatever to actually do the install. I haven't tried doing it myself, so I'm not sure if there's any extra complications or not. And there's probably other ways to clean install. This is a start, though.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
thanks. I have got the update downloaded but haven't been able to figure out how to start the install.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's easy. I'd format the drive like old-timey days, but you don't really have to.

You'll need a flash drive or DVD - I'd use a flash drive because you won't have to burn an ISO. 4GB should do it.

Download the media creation tool from Microsoft and run it - select "Create Installation Media."

Then select which version of Windows 10 you need - likely 64 bit.

Then select "Flash Drive." (See above. If you're using a DVD, select "ISO".)

Click "Finish" and it will create the tool on the USB.

Restart the computer with the USB installed. Do whatever trick you need to during boot to get it to boot off the USB...generally hitting any key during the boot will result in a prompt to boot from the USB flash drive. If you can't figure that out, post here and I'll give a work-around.

It will then prompt you through the steps to install Windows 10 -- when you see the Install Windows 10 box, there will be an option to "change what to keep". If you want a clean install, select "Nothing" on the resulting page.

Also - at some point, the set up will ask you for a license key. It really doesn't matter which version of Windows you have a license for, it will be accepted for Windows 10. There is likely a Windows sticker somewhere on your computer with the license key for whatever version the computer was shipped with. If it's Windows 7 or later, it's fine. (If not, let me know...I have a key around somewhere.)

Reaction Score
Although the previous link should work for you, if you can't find a free upgrade to Windows 10 on your dell machine, use the "accessibility" update:

Accessibility at Microsoft

Going that route, you may first have to use your original Dell installation media and then install the update.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom