OT: Volleyball playoffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Volleyball playoffs

Reaction Score
I am not on the Louisville bandwagon but Busboom-Kelly is undeniably the NCOY this season. What a outstanding job she has done going from preseason #15 to undefeated #1 going into the NCAAT. Purdue had no business winning their regional semi against BYU being down 14-10 in the fifth set but somehow they remarkably did it 18-16. I can see them beating Pitt on the road to reach Columbus considering they were able to win in Minneapolis and Madison this season. Rooting though for Eggleston or Rettke to finally win one. Tomorrow will be a busy sports day for me: UCONN-UCLA, NCAAWVB Elite Eight, and then the Hawaii State High School Girls Volleyball Tournament Championship match.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sorry NW. I feel like I jinxed it.
I have a semi actual belief that I can jinx a game, but I'm not sure if I believe others have that power. I only watched bits and pieces of the action because I was pretty nervous. I wasn't watching when the wheels came off the bus, so I'm not gonna take the blame for jinxing it.

Reaction Score
Anyone read the story about Jermaine O’Neils daughter? She plays for Texas.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well you gotta take a win whenever you can--Washington mens soccer will be going for a National Championship against Clemson.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My jinx powers are definitely working today. Every time I tune into the match, Pitt totally loses momentum. I'll quit watching so they can win. Up 2-1 over Purdue, looks like it's been hard fought.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pitt finally wore them down and ran away w/ Set 4. First ever Final 4. Congrats to the Panthers.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kudos to GA Tech. Louisville has owned them for years, but they just took Set 2 to even it up 1-1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
GA Tech battled hard, but Louisville was not gonna be denied. 3-1 win.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minnesota fought hard but got swept by Wisconsin. Only 1 spot left in the FF.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Texas once again down 0-2.

This is a ridiculous place to play with the excitable Pro-Longhorn crowd and Longhorn spirit fingers jeering at Nebraska everytime they serve. But it's 0-2 once again, here we go..... now let's see them keep that crowd energy up.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Freakin' Texas. I thought Nebraska was supposed to have no chance in this match.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Something about Nebraska. Regular season seems to be completely irrelevant, doesn't matter how good or not good they seem to be, always a threat in the playoffs. Texas came back to win Set 3, but Nebraska comfortably ahead in Set 4.

I think the posters saying the Huskers had no chance in this match were sandbagging.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I am 1000% pulling for a Louisville-Pitt Championship. Down w/ the B1G.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
That's one of the best volleyball games I've ever seen. But Nebraska thoroughly outplayed Texas and deserves to move on.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay @triaddukefan , Clemson took down UW 2-0 for the men's soccer Championship, so you can toot the ACC's horn some more.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Louisville's dream season comes up a bit short. I couldn't quite bring myself to watch it. Wisconsin took it in 5.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I definitely couldn't watch Nebraska. It's still going? It's almost 10 pm on the West Coast, that makes it ridiculously late in Columbus, OH.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Great pair of games. I got the results I wanted tho. I just like Wisconsin's and Nebraska's players better, and that's the ideal championship game matchup to me.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Insane game watching Louisville vs. Wisconsin. Both teams played at an incredibly high level and it's a shame either of them had to lose. Praying Wisconsin can finally win a title pull this out over Nebraska.

Lots of history between the two programs. Cook coached at Wisconsin in the 90s and put the program on the map before jumping over to Nebraska. In his first year at Nebraska, he played against Wisconsin (whose entire roster was players he coached) and beat his old team to win a championship. Since then he's won 3 more titles and has turned Nebraska into a perennial powerhouse, while Wisconsin has found ample success and is now in their 5th Final four and 4th championship appearance, but they haven't been able to win the big one yet. Wisconsin has beaten Nebraska now 7 straight times and should be the heavy favorite entering the title match, but Cook seems to work his magic in these types of games. His squads historically have choked when they're expected to win it all but have thrived as underdogs. I don't think anyone expected they'd be in playing for another title, so anything can happen.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
This game is giving me Stanford/Arizona from last season's basketball final vibes in a number of ways.

Reaction Score
Anna Smrek blew me away last night. It's unfortunate not much is known about her here in Canada. The Welland ON area has a lot of great talent when you think of her and Emma Koabel heading to Duke in 2022.

Women's volleyball is woefully behind in getting any recognition in this country even though many have been earning scholarships to play in the NCAA.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Anna Smrek blew me away last night.
Louisville took a big gamble letting her hit 1-on-1 as long as they did, and it did not pay off, especially in the 3rd set. They switched defensive tactics slightly in sets 4 and 5, which did slow Smrek down a bit, but Louisville's passing and defense just broke down too much in that 5th set.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom