OT: Volleyball playoffs | The Boneyard

OT: Volleyball playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know there is some crossover interest among fans here. Coming down to the end of the year. A bunch of matches today, by the end of the day there will only be 8 teams left. Big 10 of course is standing tall. ACC is flexing some muscles, Louisville and Pitt have both advanced and Georgia Tech is up 2-0. They would play Louisville, so the conference would be guaranteed to get at least 1 to the Final Four. Pac 12 ain't what it used to be, only 2 teams in the Sweet 16 and both are underdogs in their upcoming matches. Kentucky won the last Title but went out in the 2nd round this time. Florida was the only SEC team in the Sweet 16 and they got crushed by Louisville earlier today.

Stanford and Penn St. both were eliminated early. Nebraska and Texas are the only remaining traditional superpowers (and they are on a collision course in the Regional Final if seeds hold). Of course there are still plenty of the usual suspects like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Washington and UCLA. Will somebody new break through for their first ever Championship like Kentucky last year? Will Wisconsin ever win one? If my Huskies get eliminated, I think I'm pulling for Louisville. Been ranked #1 for a good chunk of the year and still undefeated, but very much a newcomer among the elites of the volleyball world.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minnesota staved off elimination, forced a 5th set w/ Baylor.

ACC is 3 for 3 advancing to the Elite 8. Matches were close but GA Tech swept Ohio St. Wow, looking at it all 3 matches involving ACC teams were sweeps, impressive.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minny comes back to win in 5. Very probably sets up yet another Wisconsin-Minnesota grudge match in the Regional Final.

Reaction Score
Minnesota staved off elimination, forced a 5th set w/ Baylor.

ACC is 3 for 3 advancing to the Elite 8. Matches were close but GA Tech swept Ohio St. Wow, looking at it all 3 matches involving ACC teams were sweeps, impressive.
12 seeded Minnesota just upset 5th seeded Baylor. Winning 15-10 in the 5th set. Pretty amazing considering Minnesota lost to Baylor 1-3 in the first game of the season.

Idk why but I want Wisconsin to FINALLY win one, but seeing Louisville, GA Tech, Pitt or any of the “newcomers” win would be cool too.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
As expected Wisconsin steamrolled UCLA. But hey my Dawgs took the first set off Texas, so at least they won't embarrass themselves today.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
The mighty Bulldogs are 16-2 and 25-6 this year. :cool::cool: About to take over the SEC soon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The mighty Bulldogs are 16-2 and 25-6 this year. :cool::cool: About to take over the SEC soon.
I'd heard they were really underrated this year. A bit surprised they got taken out in the first found by Hawaii. The 'Bows aren't the powerhouse they used to be, UW absolutely wiped the floor w/ them in round two.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Finish them off Huskies!
Could mean another Huskies vs. Huskers match up. That used to be a good, heated rivalry, but it's been one sided for quite a while now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC has never been known for Volleyball... but 3 teams in the final 8 ?? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The ACC has never been known for Volleyball... but 3 teams in the final 8 ?? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I think maybe 10 years ago or so Duke, North Carolina and Florida St. all had solid volleyball programs, not sure what happened. I know there were some Elite 8 appearances among those schools, maybe even a few Final 4s.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Texas takes Set 3. Would've loved to finish that off, now the Horns might be building some confidence.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
OMG, that's what I was afraid of. Texas just demolishing UW in Set 4. It's going 5, definitely not where you want to be, on the road, when your opponent has all the momentum. Damn it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Texas wins in 5. Going up 2-0 is absolutely useless if you can't close it out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't know what it is, but Texas ALWAYS either has some epic near-death experience in the regional rounds in Gregory Gym or they just lose. The Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games never go smoothly for the Longhorns.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well I guess Nebraska against Texas will be an even better long time rival grudge match than Nebraska vs. Washington. Hasn't been as one sided in recent years either.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't know what it is, but Texas ALWAYS either has some epic near-death experience in the regional rounds in Gregory Gym or they just lose. The Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games never go smoothly for the Longhorns.
Great observation:
2016 BYU miracle comeback
2015 Florida blown call (maybe the worst blown call I've ever seen in a volleyball match)
2019 Louisville loss
2021 down 2-0 and 15-10 in g3 to Washington

I think that's every year they've hosted regionals in the last decade or so too.

I think they'll roll over Nebraska on Sat. Huskers lack comparable fire power and just haven't had "it" since Foecke left.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
12 seeded Minnesota just upset 5th seeded Baylor. Winning 15-10 in the 5th set. Pretty amazing considering Minnesota lost to Baylor 1-3 in the first game of the season.

Idk why but I want Wisconsin to FINALLY win one, but seeing Louisville, GA Tech, Pitt or any of the “newcomers” win would be cool too.
Wisconsin's last real shot for quite a while since recruiting is slowing down and Rettke/Hilley both graduate. I'm rooting for them.

Would love to see Louisville win if Wisconsin doesn't. Team came out of nowhere without many highly touted recruits, has gone undefeated against a strong schedule, and Busboom-Kelly would become the first woman to ever win a title as head coach.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Breaking down regionals my thoughts are:

Wisconsin/Minnesota should be a toss up match. Samedy is scary good and their other pins have been excellent. Zero contributions from middles but it hasn't slowed them down much this year. Wisconsin lacks power on the pins but has arguably the most dominant middle blocker college volleyball has seen in the last 20 years. Home game for Wisconsin but historically the Badgers struggle in E8 games when the opposition has a dominant hitter like Samedy. It's also hard to pull out 3 wins over a team like Minnesota in the same year. Hoping for a Wisconsin win but if it goes 5 I think Minny pulls it out.

Nebraska/Texas should be a heavily favored game for Texas. Just better athletes at every front court position, home crowd and dominant left side attackers. I think it'll be a sweep.

Purdue/Pitt will be a battle. Purdue has a higher ceiling IMO when they're on, but they're streaky. Pitt is the more consistent team so I think they'll win in 4 or 5.

Georgia Tech/Louisvile I don't see being all that competitive. Louisville has been the best team all season and has 2 sweeps over GT already. Should be a great crowd on hand too. I think another sweep here.

Reaction Score
Sorry NW. I feel like I jinxed it.

1639137844551.gif

Reaction Score
Breaking down regionals my thoughts are:

Wisconsin/Minnesota should be a toss up match. Samedy is scary good and their other pins have been excellent. Zero contributions from middles but it hasn't slowed them down much this year. Wisconsin lacks power on the pins but has arguably the most dominant middle blocker college volleyball has seen in the last 20 years. Home game for Wisconsin but historically the Badgers struggle in E8 games when the opposition has a dominant hitter like Samedy. It's also hard to pull out 3 wins over a team like Minnesota in the same year. Hoping for a Wisconsin win but if it goes 5 I think Minny pulls it out.

Nebraska/Texas should be a heavily favored game for Texas. Just better athletes at every front court position, home crowd and dominant left side attackers. I think it'll be a sweep.

Purdue/Pitt will be a battle. Purdue has a higher ceiling IMO when they're on, but they're streaky. Pitt is the more consistent team so I think they'll win in 4 or 5.

Georgia Tech/Louisvile I don't see being all that competitive. Louisville has been the best team all season and has 2 sweeps over GT already. Should be a great crowd on hand too. I think another sweep here.
Agree with all but wouldn’t be surprised to see Purdue win. Rooting for Wisconsin, Nebraska, Purdue & Louisville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom