Visitors for First Night | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Visitors for First Night

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I thought as I recall, Calhoun got involved with the recruiting of Marcus Camby very late, and Calipari already had him pretty much locked up for UMass. So it was not that big a disappointment for JC.

You are correct.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Springs is 13. 45 is Gary Busey.

He looks a lot different than I remember.

Gary-Busey-Rex.jpg

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I thought as I recall, Calhoun got involved with the recruiting of Marcus Camby very late, and Calipari already had him pretty much locked up for UMass. So it was not that big a disappointment for JC.
I agree with not being a failure on the recruiting front but on the scouting in state talent, JC missed on a kid right out of Hartford that should have been pursued a bit more vigorously

Reaction Score
I agree with not being a failure on the recruiting front but on the scouting in state talent, JC missed on a kid right out of Hartford that should have been pursued a bit more vigorously
Wouldn’t have mattered what JC did with MC since Squid was arriving with a Brinks truck right behind him!

Reaction Score
Camby is by far the biggest miss we've ever had. He was the best player in the country, had he teamed up with Ray Allen we would have an extra championship or two and it probably could have been one of the best college basketball teams ever.

Reaction Score
Curley Cardwelled JC.
To JC's credit, before he came along UConn, missed out on a ton of in state talent, Rocket Rod Foster, John Pinone, Harold Jensen, Charles Smith, Soup Campbell, Chuck Alexinas (at first), Sly Williams, Michael Adams, Mike Gminski, John Bagley (who I knew btw). With the exception of course of Corny, Mike McKay, and Norman Bailey. IIRC Chris Smith was one of JC's first big in state recruits.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To JC's credit, before he came along UConn, missed out on a ton of in state talent, Rocket Rod Foster, John Pinone, Harold Jensen, Charles Smith, Soup Campbell, Chuck Alexinas (at first), Sly Williams, Michael Adams, Mike Gminski, John Bagley (who I knew btw). With the exception of course of Corny, Mike McKay, and Norman Bailey. IIRC Chris Smith was one of JC's first big in state recruits.
Usually recruits give an indication to the coaching staff they are considering other options. JC was blind sided by Curly’s decision.

Reaction Score
Camby is by far the biggest miss we've ever had. He was the best player in the country, had he teamed up with Ray Allen we would have an extra championship or two and it probably could have been one of the best college basketball teams ever.
We could not afford him

Reaction Score
And in that same time period, Wes Matthews and John Garris.

Reaction Score
Billy Curley to BC hurt

BC never beat us while Curley was there. He might have taken us to new heights in those years but he picked the local favorite. He's now the head coach at Emerson College.

Reaction Score
Camby to UMASS

Hard to turn down "honest Bill" Bayno with cash in his briefcase at midnight. Wasn't the story that Bayno got there at midnight so it was legally the first day of the signing period and then stayed up all night with Camby and his mother until he signed at around 7 AM and then Calhoun showed up at 8? Or is all that (after the Bayno with $ part) another urban myth?

Reaction Score

Harold Pressley too, don't forget. And Vinnie baker no one wanted. Also, we did land Earl Kelley and brought back Chuck Aleksinas after a transfer.

Reaction Score
Here is one of Borges's replies:

I totally understand that big guards are a desired commodity, but watching a real quick set of small of guards get under the “big guard” Harrison twins ... and carving though Nova, Mich St and Florida make me feel like they’re not essential. UConn fans are probably skewed to this. Give me any size guard that takes pride in their D :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom