Visitors for First Night | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Visitors for First Night

Reaction Score
Earl's gun was an antique gun that no longer fired. After attending a party on campus, he was accused of stealing money belonging to the floor monitor that was sitting unsecured on a table. In retaliation for Earl's alleged theft, his gun was stolen. Earl and some friends visited the gun thief and demanded that he go with them and return the gun. The thief said, at first, that no threats were made, but his powerful father put pressure on the DA to prosecute. DA said that he had a weak case, but had no choice. After several, well-reported court appearances, Earl pleaded no contest and ended up with a conviction on his record. Things went downhill for Earl for some time after this.
That is not my recollection what happened. It was a long time ago, I was a student at the time and there were certainly many articles in the papers, I didn't attend the trial or anything though. I've never heard the part about the father & DA pressure, but after Earl was off the team & out at UConn I didn't follow the case as closely.
Key differences I remember:
1. Earl was looking for someone, maybe a 'thief' but I think the thief owed Earl either money or drugs, pretty sure the story was drugs at least in the newspapers.
2. Earl took the thief's roommate hostage USING THE ANTIQUE GUN and drove around for hours looking for the guy (this was WIDELY reported in the legal and campus case). Part of the reason Earl wasn't kicked out of UConn is that the gun was not functional and therefore it wasn't felony kidnapping.
3. Earl ended up ONLY getting kicked off campus for all of this, he wasn't expelled. But while the case was going on Earl stopped going to classes and he failed out in his final semester and was ineligible at the end of that season.

I agree with everything about basketball everyone has said. Phenomenal talent, treat to watch. Seemed somewhat affable, around campus, but with a hard edge. Earl absolutely ran practices, did whatever he wanted - Perno had no control over him. Not many in the Big East could stop him either.

Reaction Score
Earl Kelly was a hell of a scorer...reminiscence of World Be Free..could score from anywhere

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom