Virginia Tech @ Notre Dame - 12/17/20 | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech @ Notre Dame - 12/17/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, does little Mabry get too excited and chuck up shot after shot trying to beat her old team and thereby hurt ND as has been her wont? Me thinks so...:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Too bad there won't be a handshake line after this game

Reaction Score
63-62 ND end of third

Westbeld 21 pts, 3 reb

Westbeld is the real deal. ND needs to win games like this, though, or else that NCAA tournament streak is in real danger. There are two many quality opponents in the ACC (L’Ville, NC St., Syracuse) for the Irish to drop more than a couple of games against the ACC’s middle tier. And there’s already a loss to Tech on the board.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mabrey did the right thing by transferring. No way she'd start at PG this year for VPI. Amore is good...

Reaction Score
(Assuming she isn’t injured), I wonder if Alli Campbell will stick around if her minutes don’t increase by season’s end. Her and Citron are somewhat similar as well.

Reaction Score
84-78 ND final :(

ND shot 52.8% overall and 53.3% from three.
Where did this come from?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

It helps to play a mediocre team that plays bad defense like Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score

Last year, ND had problems offensively and defensively. This year, the issues seem to be more concentrated on the defensive side of the floor. This isn’t a team that’s going to hang 90 on anyone ranked, but scoring seems to be less of a struggle with Mabrey, Westbeld, and the freshman guards aboard.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Funny that 14 of 15 3-point attempts were taken by Brunelle and Westbeld.

Besides Mabrey, the only players that can shoot are forwards. (And theoretically Campbell but hasn't seen much of the floor).

Reaction Score
Funny that 14 of 15 3-point attempts were taken by Brunelle and Westbeld.

Besides Mabrey, the only players that can shoot are forwards. (And theoretically Campbell but hasn't seen much of the floor).
I thought Campbell was looking good the first few games. I'm a little discouraged for her, but hopefully she just keeps working her butt off and it pays off for her.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
(Assuming she isn’t injured), I wonder if Alli Campbell will stick around if her minutes don’t increase by season’s end. Her and Citron are somewhat similar as well.
I thought Campbell was looking good the first few games. I'm a little discouraged for her, but hopefully she just keeps working her butt off and it pays off for her.

I'm a tad concerned, as well (already).
Campell was the first of the Class of 2020 to commit and has been unbashedly pro-Irish. She and MM were very tight, but she knew Niele as well (she attended "Nielefest").

Thought she played well in the early games, particularly on defense and rebounded. She's tall and has long arms (had a few blocks) and looked like she knew exactly what she was supposed to do. However, early on, the Irish point-guard by committee was not passing the rock to her in the corner (even if open).

Niele has said she wanted to see what she had as her players came back bit by bit. It now appears that Katlyn Gilbert has settled into that "long" guard role and Alli C. has hit the bench. My worry is that Gilbert, Peoples, Prohaska are not going anywhere for years and -- as pointed out -- Sonia Citron, another tall lanky guard, shows up. The good news is that Campbell also has played with Olivia Miles a lot on the Philly Belles and that could help.

Personally, I think Campbell could help us now. As Orangutan has pointed out, most our long-range shooers are forwards (Brunelle, Westbeld) and Mabrey. Campbell can shoot it long (and short). I'd have Peoples and Gilbert spell each other to give Campbell some time, but what do I know? ;) :rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

- ND had been shooting 46+% from the field going into the game (upping it to 48%).
- The big increase was in the three-point shooting, that was much better than usual. Having Brunelle stroke 5-9 will help that percentage.
- Va. Tech may be or turn out to be mediocre but they were 6-0 heading into this game, holding their opponets to 63 ppg, while outscoring them by 20.
- It was interesting in that ND purposely went after their guards, getting Cayla King and Aisha Sheppard into early and prolonged foul trouble. Georgia Amoore had three steals and hit 5 threes...I can see why Mabrey was being slotted to off-guard duty by her former VT coach. She's got a set of quick, herkey jerky moves to set herself up and a fast trigger.
- Kitley was very good at setting herself up on the block. Irish center Mik Vaughn was not effective against her. Brunelle -- at 6'2" -- was not initially all that much better, but Westbeld and/or Prohaska started doubling, which helped.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom