Villanova over St. John’s | The Boneyard

Villanova over St. John’s

Reaction Score
Big V comeback at home today, outscoring SJ in the 4th quarter, 25-7. SJ couldn’t handle the V press late, Maddy was Maddy, and Maddie Burke hit a couple of late 3 bombs. I thought Christine Motta did a great job as broadcast analyst.

Reaction Score
SJ was up 16 with 5:28 left and up 7 with 1:47, got outscored 10-0 from then on.

Reaction Score
Congrats, Villanova!! Listening to the game, I could literally feel Coach Tartamella (St John's) frustration as St John's let Villanova back into the game. St John's had that game in the bag, up until that 4th quarter. Holy smokes! 25-7 Villanova. Well done, Coach Dillon. She has that Villanova squad playing at a high level. Maddy Siegrist is just a joy to watch and a great competitor. Please, WNBA expand!! We NEED to see Maddy playing at the next level. She is that good.

Reaction Score
I can picture Tartamella throwing his hands up in the air every possession like he did against UConn.

LOL. His hands must have been going a mile a second in that 4th quarter.

But! Not the biggest sports choke of the week. The LA Chargers hold that distinction!

Reaction Score
Congrats, Villanova!! Listening to the game, I could literally feel Coach Tartamella (St John's) frustration as St John's let Villanova back into the game. St John's had that game in the bag, up until that 4th quarter. Holy smokes! 25-7 Villanova. Well done, Coach Dillon. She has that Villanova squad playing at a high level. Maddy Siegrist is just a joy to watch and a great competitor. Please, WNBA expand!! We NEED to see Maddy playing at the next level. She is that good.
Is Maddy “that good” against an WNBA team? I’m not sure to be honest. She’s great at a Villanova talent in the big east, but not convinced she would be on a bigger stage. I would definitely pull for her though.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is Maddy “that good” against an WNBA team? I’m not sure to be honest. She’s great at a Villanova talent in the big east, but not convinced she would be on a bigger stage. I would definitely pull for her though.
If Queen Egbo could make in the WNBA, why couldn't Siegrist? The thing many miss, is Maddy can actually shoot as evidenced by her slash line 53/40/85 so she doesn't have to play in the front court but could be a wing in the WNBA. Add in the intangibles and I think she more than makes a team but becomes a key reserve. IMHO...:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
I think Maddy would do quite well in the WNBA. Her skill set and basketball IQ is built for the next level.

Reaction Score
If Queen Egbo could make in the WNBA, why couldn't Siegrist? The thing many miss, is Maddy can actually shoot as evidenced by her slash line 53/40/85 so she doesn't have to play in the front court but could be a wing in the WNBA. Add in the intangibles and I think she more than makes a team but becomes a key reserve. IMHO...:rolleyes:.
Or starter...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't know if Queen Egbo has made it in the Association. More like hanging on by a thread. But otherwise, I agree with what you've said. Maddy's going to have to move without the ball far more than she does at Villanova, and she's going to face some hella strong, fast, athletic wings that are going eat her alive. But yeah, she has a shot as a reserve, and for a good amount of years.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Queen Egbo has made it in the Association. More like hanging on by a thread. But otherwise, I agree with what you've said. Maddy's going to have to move without the ball far more than she does at Villanova, and she's going to face some hella strong, fast, athletic wings that are going eat her alive. But yeah, she has a shot as a reserve, and for a good amount of years.
I believe she'll be better than that, Jordy... we'll see. Strong, fast and athletic doesn't guarantee anything. Plenty of those superior athletes just don't have the basketball skills and savvy that Maddy has.

The history of sports is rich with tales of athletes who don't possess the great natural ability of their rivals yet make up for it in so many other ways.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I believe she'll be better than that, Jordy... we'll see. Strong, fast and athletic doesn't guarantee anything. Plenty of those superior athletes just don't have the basketball skills and savvy that Maddy has.

The history of sports is rich with tales of athletes who don't possess the great natural ability of their rivals yet make up for it in so many other ways.
The WNBA has 144 jobs available. Fine players such as Kenndy Burke, Evina Westbrook, Chelsea Dungee, Elissa Cunane, Kylee Shook, Lindsey Allen, Joyner Holmes, and many others are looking for teams. Yes, Maddy's a fine player, but to make a squad in the Association is tough. Maintaining that position when there are new rookies signed every year and so few positions available makes it, IMO, the toughest job to maintain in all of mainstream sports in America. Just look at the tough road Katie Lou has had. Do you think Maddy's a better player than Lou is? Because that's what it will take to start on the wing in the Association.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has 144 jobs available. Fine players such as Kenndy Burke, Evina Westbrook, Chelsea Dungee, Elissa Cunane, Kylee Shook, Lindsey Allen, Joyner Holmes, and many others are looking for teams. Yes, Maddy's a fine player, but to make a squad in the Association is tough. Maintaining that position when there are new rookies signed every year and so few positions available makes it, IMO, the toughest job to maintain in all of mainstream sports in America. Just look at the tough road Katie Lou has had. Do you think Maddy's a better player than Lou is? Because that's what it will take to start on the wing in the Association.
Lots of good examples, Jordy, and good points, too... I won't disagree with any of this. As to whether Maddy is a better player than was Katie Lou midway through her senior season, she might not be a better passer, but yes, otherwise, I'd say she is, and KLS is one of my favorite players.

If Maddy is as successful in the WNBA as KLS has been the past two seasons, she's done well. KLS had a rough first couple of years, undermined by injury and then getting stuck on a team with Ogunbowale and Mabrey. Yet bolstered by lots of good play in Europe, she's now a solid WNBA player (better than I thought she'd be).

So, yes, regarding Maddy's WNBA future.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Lots of good examples, Jordy, and good points, too... I won't disagree with any of this. As to whether Maddy is a better player than was Katie Lou midway through her senior season, she might not be a better passer, but yes, otherwise, I'd say she is, and KLS is one of my favorite players.

If Maddy is as successful in the WNBA as KLS has been the past two seasons, she's done well. KLS had a rough first couple of years, undermined by injury and then getting stuck on a team with Ogunbowale and Mabrey. Yet bolstered by lots of good play in Europe, she's now a solid WNBA player (better than I thought she'd be).

So, yes, regarding Maddy's WNBA future.
And this is what a discussion board is about, disagreeing with cogent and/or poignant views. Glad to hear your opposing opinion and I'm typically grateful for your basketball insights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom