Video Games | The Boneyard

Video Games

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel like this is an under appreciated form of media and entertainment. Without looking it up, I think gaming does more revenue than movies. Increasingly, quality game stories are becoming movies and shows, like The Last of Us. That being said, what are you playing or have you played and why?

I prefer RPGs, but mostly when there is a story and especially where there is some room for character development and choices to influence the story. The Elder Scrolls top titles are favorites, Skyrim, Oblivion in particular. Enjoyed Dragon Age Origins. Never got into the Assassins Creed games. Recently played Elden Ring, which is stunning. Haven't finished because I can't beat the final boss.

Picked up Far Cry 5, which is labeled as a first person shooter, but which has a robust story and mission framework. It's a cool game, loads of fun as you work to eliminate a bunch of cultists in Montana with the help of your redneck prepper allies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I like RPGs too. Playing through The Witcher 3 again right now, just beat the main story and am working on the first DLC. The Horizon and God of War franchises are probably my favorite games of the last few years, along with the Witcher. Ghost of Tsushima is up there too.

I played Elden Ring last year. It was a great game. I only beat the final boss because I used the Mimic tear fully maxed out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I like RPGs too. Playing through The Witcher 3 again right now, just beat the main story and am working on the first DLC. The Horizon and God of War franchises are probably my favorite games of the last few years, along with the Witcher. Ghost of Tsushima is up there too.

I played Elden Ring last year. It was a great game. I only beat the final boss because I used the Mimic tear fully maxed out.
I've got maxed mimic tear and still haven't done it. I can't see the attacks coming. Camera issues. People say there is a sound, but I'm not able to hear it.

Is the Witcher III DLC worth it? I enjoyed the game, even though it's one with little room to affect the story.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I've got maxed mimic tear and still haven't done it. I can't see the attacks coming. Camera issues. People say there is a sound, but I'm not able to hear it.

Is the Witcher III DLC worth it? I enjoyed the game, even though it's one with little room to affect the story.

There are a few different endings to the base game, and it is absolutely affected by your choices. There are probably other games that give you more freedom of choice, but there are a few major plot lines that are decided by your choices, which I'll highlight in this spoiler tag if you're curious.
Ciri's fate, whether or not you end up with Yennefer or Triss, what happens in the Northern War

As for the DLC, they are both tremendous. I liked the story of Hearts of Stone better than the base game, and Blood and Wine had such a great setting and a really good story too that probably adds 20-30 hours of gameplay.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There are a few different endings to the base game, and it is absolutely affected by your choices. There are probably other games that give you more freedom of choice, but there are a few major plot lines that are decided by your choices, which I'll highlight in this spoiler tag if you're curious.
Ciri's fate, whether or not you end up with Yennefer or Triss, what happens in the Northern War

As for the DLC, they are both tremendous. I liked the story of Hearts of Stone better than the base game, and Blood and Wine had such a great setting and a really good story too that probably adds 20-30 hours of gameplay.
Yes, I forgot those from the Witcher. I made an unintentional early choice that landed me with the redhead.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm a long time gamer, though I think of myself as more of a gamer than the amount of gaming I do would suggest. I more collect games than play them. So trying to set aside more time for it.

This is a forum I'm on kinda on this topic... Gaming in your 40s

Reaction Score
Picked up Far Cry 5, which is labeled as a first person shooter, but which has a robust story and mission framework. It's a cool game, loads of fun as you work to eliminate a bunch of cultists in Montana with the help of your redneck prepper allies.

A lot of games are structured similarly these days. Even GTA 5. Just depends on where the focus of the game ends up. Assassin's Creed series, the Mordor open world games, Borderlands, the Arkham series. A lot of "open world" stuff, each with their own twist. All of which I need to spend more time playing! LOL

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm a long time gamer, though I think of myself as more of a gamer than the amount of gaming I do would suggest. I more collect games than play them. So trying to set aside more time for it.

This is a forum I'm on kinda on this topic... Gaming in your 40s
I read your thread, but did not find an answer to my question. I too have been collecting games since about 2004. And I liked buying games on cartridges, discs. Now everything has moved to electronic media and it's less meaningful to collectors in my opinion. Is that the same for you?

Reaction Score
I read your thread, but did not find an answer to my question. I too have been collecting games since about 2004. And I liked buying games on cartridges, discs. Now everything has moved to electronic media and it's less meaningful to collectors in my opinion. Is that the same for you?
I still have a bookshelf full of actual media, but none of it is newer than about 2006 or so. I'm more of a PC guy than a console guy, but for the most part you can still buy physical media for consoles, though that may not remain the case for long. I track my games on the GOG Galaxy app and currently sit at a mind numbing 2946 entries. Includes my Steam inventory going back to its origin about that same timeframe.

I'm currently trying to get my space to a point of comfort and usability so I can feel less like there are too many things to do to allow for lazy gaming time. Getting closer by the day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still have a bookshelf full of actual media, but none of it is newer than about 2006 or so. I'm more of a PC guy than a console guy, but for the most part you can still buy physical media for consoles, though that may not remain the case for long. I track my games on the GOG Galaxy app and currently sit at a mind numbing 2946 entries. Includes my Steam inventory going back to its origin about that same timeframe.

I'm currently trying to get my space to a point of comfort and usability so I can feel less like there are too many things to do to allow for lazy gaming time. Getting closer by the day.
It's actually a huge collection! And they're old games, pre-2006, if I understand correctly.
Things are unlikely to ever go away for ever, but it's a good idea to free up your time :) I'm doing it too, with mixed success so far.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So I’m playing Valheim and I’m as close to “rage quit” as I’ve ever come in a game. Facing the 5th boss and I just died about 25-30 times. All my armor is gone. Weapons gone. Other resources depleted and have no way to get back and recover any of it unless I go back and essentially re-do a lot of work I’ve already done. Maddening.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Update: Still playing Valheim. The build element makes it something that always works, even after you're essentially maxed out, as I am now.

Is anybody playing Starfield? It just came out from Bethesda, their first legit new RPG in a long time. I started it to check it out. It looks promising and it is getting rave reviews. So far it's solid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom