Video - Double intentional fouls in the Tenn game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Video - Double intentional fouls in the Tenn game

sun

Reaction Score
At first glance, it appeared to be Jackson's deliberate foul all the way. On the second or third replay of the tangle underneath, Aaliyah hooks Jackson's arm, pulling her to the floor, earning the butt bump. This time, the refs didn't miss it. But a great win on national TV.
I agree.
This is what I think the ref saw.
Jackson went over the top of Edwards' arm and got her hands on the rebound.
Edwards hooked Jackson's arm and used a vicious 2nd effort to make sure that Jackson was pulled & pinned to the ground.
Then when Edwards started to get up, Jackson used a vicious 2nd effort to force Edwards back to the ground.

I think that it was a fair call confirmed after careful review.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And thinking about it further, if I’m right and the only intentional call should have been on Jackson, and it was a “fighting foul,” as Vaszily initially signaled, she ought to have been ejected from the game on the spot.

Was it a fighting foul? Jackson lands on Aaliyah — so far no foul — but when Aaliyah tries to get up to chase the play down the floor, she shoves her down and continues to hold her down. I think that’s within the definition of a fighting foul.

But that’s not all there is to it. Jackson is clearly frustrated, as are most of the players on both teams. The reffing had been quite inconsistent over the first 3 quarters. And Jackson was having an off night, no doubt because Aaliyah and Aubrey’s defense had limited her quite a bit. So maybe she reacts badly in that moment, but I suspect this wouldn’t have happened if the reffing had been more consistent.
Jackson gave 2 hip checks to Aaliyah, the first one put Aaliyah on the ground and the second when she was on Aaliyah right before grabbing Aaliyah's foot. But partisan Vaszily made sure that he called it on Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
Jackson gave 2 hip checks to Aaliyah, the first one put Aaliyah on the ground and the second when she was on Aaliyah right before grabbing Aaliyah's foot. But partisan Vaszily made sure that he called it on Aaliyah.
I thought he called it on Jackson, but when he went over to the table and huddled with the other refs, suddenly they called Aaliyah for a foul too.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I thought he called it on Jackson, but when he went over to the table and huddled with the other refs, suddenly they called Aaliyah for a foul too.
To me it looked like Vaszily was looking right at Aaliyah when he signaled an intentional foul at the end of one of the end line view segments. IMO, he was basing his call on the final act of the kerfuffle, completely ignoring the actions of Jackson.
Again, it is just my biased opinion and not being stated as a fact.

Reaction Score
You have a point about Jackson’s composure.

I just think the entire Tennessee team was frustrated with Aaliyah. She made them look bad on offense. In the 2nd quarter, UConn was exhausted and the reffing got a little weird and TN found they could dominate the offensive glass, which must have been very satisfying for them. In effect, the refs told them they’d be allowed to dominate physically. But then the refs pulled the rug out from under them in the 3rd, and no one suffered from it more than Jackson. Now the bad calls were going UConn’s way.

Of course, you’re right that Jackson should have kept her cool. Everyone else suffered from the inconsistent reffing too. I was thinking about that moment when it looked like Horston and Nika might mix it up. Jordan had been whistled for a foul out on the perimeter and then tried to grab the ball one more time and Nika reacted. But they sorted it out between them and cooled off before the refs even got there to break it up. The two feistiest players on the court kept their cool. If they could do it, Jackson should have too.

I didn’t really follow her at Miss St but I gather her rep was as a smooth scorer who didn’t play much D and had little team spirit — defense and team spirit seem to go together. Kellie has her playing better D at TN, but it’s hard to work transfers into the team culture in only a few months. I hope she can manage it in the next few weeks.
Excellent point. There were a couple times Nika looked like she was going to lose her temper and was able to keep it together. Same for Horston.

This situation unfortunately takes some of the shine away from the game for me. Even though Tennessee couldn't keep it close in the end, their fight at certain points was entertaining. The atmosphere at the arena was awesome. I really enjoyed it, with the exception of the double intentional.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
They went to the ground off a hook and hold from Aliyah (with Jackson over her back), everything after that was Jackson.

Reaction Score
They went to the ground off a hook and hold from Aliyah (with Jackson over her back), everything after that was Jackson.
Yup, with reference to the WWE move above, Aaliyah would have scored the points for a takedown by dragging Jackson down with her. Whatever Jackson did after that was likely an emotional reaction to be taken down, hence out of the ensuing play. Neither comes out of it looking good, but Aaliyah, much as I love her, was the one precipitating it all with her hook.

Reaction Score
Yup, with reference to the WWE move above, Aaliyah would have scored the points for a takedown by dragging Jackson down with her. Whatever Jackson did after that was likely an emotional reaction to be taken down, hence out of the ensuing play. Neither comes out of it looking good, but Aaliyah, much as I love her, was the one precipitating it all with her hook.
Really? So what precipitated Aliyah falling to the ground?

Reaction Score
Rj was wrong and should of received a tech. AE tried to get up is the reason my her foot touched Jackson nothing intentional but the play she push back on AE was dangerous and uncalled for.

Reaction Score
Both going for the ball, they were tangled and when she started going down, Aaliyah brought Jackson with her.
If they were tangled, why did you single out Aliyah for the "hook"? Your version of a "hook" would make more sense if Jackson fell to the ground but not Aliyah. BTW, I accept your opinion and will move on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even Rebecca Lobo said "you hold my foot, I am kicking you!!"
I’m not sure it actually was a kick. Just an attempt to stand up. Jackson, on the other hand was excessive force after the play. That’s the classic parameters for a flagrant.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me it looked like Vaszily was looking right at Aaliyah when he signaled an intentional foul at the end of one of the end line view segments
That was understandable. Aaliyah viciously threw herself into the court. She was probably trying to damage the hardwood. There is no call for that in basketball.

Reaction Score
While I agree that AE could have been called for the hook and bringing both to the floor that foul was in the action of the game and no way could have been called anything other than a normal foul (it was likely a play-on situation causing both coaches to go ballistic). Jackson's foul when AE was attempting to get up and resume play was obviously intentional and also dangerous as it could have caused an injury and was after the game flow in that area had stopped. Different fouls all together. That is like saying if I bumped you (a foul) and your reaction was to punch me that would just be a double intentional foul???

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone intentionally fouled they were both just trying to get up and protect themselves.
Disagree,
You can see Jackson, after Edmond fell to the ground and trying to get up, used her right arm and back intentionally pushed Edmonds to the floor again.
Screenshot (43).png
Screenshot (42).png

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
supposing all this is fact, liya's offense was a part of the game ,,, getting entangled with another, especially under the boards, happens all the time. they're jumping, losing their balance, fighting for position, reaching for the ball, etc.

rickea assaulted liya, maliciously and intentionally, when liya was in a very vulnerable position and the game play had passed on. liya could have been seriously injured. ... and it even was all clearly caught on video.

vastly different circumstances.

after seeing the replays, rickea should have been ejected immediately by the refs, and benched for a couple of games. i'd hope geno would have taken such corrective action after seeing a husky pulling that stunt -- even if she was temporarily deranged.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This dissection is getting to the level of what I've seen for Clark's intentional during Iowa's game against Michigan State, fortunately without the derogatory overtones.

In the end, here's how I see it:

1) UConn came out with the victory.

2) Game's over and both players fortunately aren't injured.

3) No one is going to be in agreement on this based off of what I've read.

Reaction Score
This dissection is getting to the level of what I've seen for Clark's intentional during Iowa's game against Michigan State, fortunately without the derogatory overtones.

In the end, here's how I see it:

1) UConn came out with the victory.

2) Game's over and both players fortunately aren't injured.

3) No one is going to be in agreement on this based off of what I've read.
And 4) Jackson was fouled out.

Reaction Score
Lobo insisted several times that Edwards kicked Jackson. None of the video replays shows a kick by Edwards.
I may not have seen a "kick", but in the multiple replays (during the live game) Aaliyah bends her
left lower leg up, i.e. flexes her lower leg at the knee. So, while I would not consider that
equal to the push down by Rickea, the refs may have used it to give a double foul. Note: This
was Rickea Jackson's fourth foul, so in some ways it was beneficial to UCONN. Rickea fouled out at
approximately 1 minute :30 sec left in the fourth quarter. It was a very physical game. In the POST GAME
pressor with Coach Harper, Jordan, and Rickea, Rickea said: " (UCONN) was really physical....it
was the most we've seen so far". Anyway, Rebecca saw the " kick" and Rebecca is telling it as it was!

Reaction Score
Dissecting this any further as if there was something genuine at issue in the call is pointless. The ref misread the scene and made a bad call — I think he meant to give the foul entirely to Aaliyah. The other refs consulted the tape and talked some sense into him. But the only way forward was to pretend it was offsetting fouls. I’m sure the whole episode was quite chastening for them. What matters is the players were allowed to play out the rest of the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom