Video - Double intentional fouls in the Tenn game | The Boneyard

Video - Double intentional fouls in the Tenn game

Reaction Score
This was an absurd call. Face down on the floor with Jackson sitting on her, she tries to get up and Jackson pushes her back down. That’s clearly a fighting foul all by itself. But in her position on the floor, there is no way Aaliyah is in a position to aim a kick at the person on top of her. Calling that second intentional foul was simply in error.

It looked like Joe Vaszily meant to call the intentional only on Aaliyah and the other refs talked him down from that. Something very wrong going on there.

Reaction Score
This was an absurd call. Face down on the floor with Jackson sitting on her, she tries to get up and Jackson pushes her back down. That’s clearly a fighting foul all by itself. But in her position on the floor, there is no way Aaliyah is in a position to aim a kick at the person on top of her. Calling that second intentional foul was simply in error.

It looked like Joe Vaszily meant to call the intentional only on Aaliyah and the other refs talked him down from that. Something very wrong going on there.
I kept wondering how they were going to blame us for it.

Reaction Score
And thinking about it further, if I’m right and the only intentional call should have been on Jackson, and it was a “fighting foul,” as Vaszily initially signaled, she ought to have been ejected from the game on the spot.

Was it a fighting foul? Jackson lands on Aaliyah — so far no foul — but when Aaliyah tries to get up to chase the play down the floor, she shoves her down and continues to hold her down. I think that’s within the definition of a fighting foul.

But that’s not all there is to it. Jackson is clearly frustrated, as are most of the players on both teams. The reffing had been quite inconsistent over the first 3 quarters. And Jackson was having an off night, no doubt because Aaliyah and Aubrey’s defense had limited her quite a bit. So maybe she reacts badly in that moment, but I suspect this wouldn’t have happened if the reffing had been more consistent.

Reaction Score
I think after watching last night, if Tennessee can recruit better and we stay where we are, it could become a heated rivalry again. I think it is slowly coming back because the women and us are having it force fed to us and we actually don’t like each other, it’ll be back and really go down in about 2 years

Reaction Score
And thinking about it further, if I’m right and the only intentional call should have been on Jackson, and it was a “fighting foul,” as Vaszily initially signaled, she ought to have been ejected from the game on the spot.

Was it a fighting foul? Jackson lands on Aaliyah — so far no foul — but when Aaliyah tries to get up to chase the play down the floor, she shoves her down and continues to hold her down. I think that’s within the definition of a fighting foul.

But that’s not all there is to it. Jackson is clearly frustrated, as are most of the players on both teams. The reffing had been quite inconsistent over the first 3 quarters. And Jackson was having an off night, no doubt because Aaliyah and Aubrey’s defense had limited her quite a bit. So maybe she reacts badly in that moment, but I suspect this wouldn’t have happened if the reffing had been more consistent.
Maybe? She definitely reacted badly. Regardless of how the refs are calling the game, Jackson has to maintain her composure. Personally, I think she took herself out the game mentally at that point.

Jackson and Aaliyah were battling back and forth all game, similar to Aaliyah and Morrow. Aaliyah maintained her composure even when calls weren't going her way when she thought they should. Refs screw up and miss things, but losing your composure and acting like that hurts more than helps.

Reaction Score
that was a joke.
Oprah Winfrey Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Lobo insisted several times that Edwards kicked Jackson. None of the video replays shows a kick by Edwards.
I think she interpreted the moment when Aaliyah first attempted to get up as a kick. When her left leg went up, it does look like it went towards Jackson's body. But they were tangled up and it's hard to get out of that position based on how they were on the floor.

Everyone will have their own perception as to what it looked like to them. Lobo had hers and you have yours.

Reaction Score
I think she interpreted the moment when Aaliyah first attempted to get up as a kick. When her left leg went up, it does look like it went towards Jackson's body. But they were tangled up and it's hard to get out of that position based on how they were on the floor.

Everyone will have their own perception as to what it looked like to them. Lobo had hers and you have yours.
At first glance, it appeared to be Jackson's deliberate foul all the way. On the second or third replay of the tangle underneath, Aaliyah hooks Jackson's arm, pulling her to the floor, earning the butt bump. This time, the refs didn't miss it. But a great win on national TV.

Reaction Score

The only person that should have been ejected from the game was the referee. A couple of players got tangled up trying to rebound the ball then push each other trying to untangle and stand up. This happens all the time. This was the biggest game of the night and that ref was assigned to it? Where was Maj Forsberg? Where was Denise Brooks?

Reaction Score
Maybe? She definitely reacted badly. Regardless of how the refs are calling the game, Jackson has to maintain her composure. Personally, I think she took herself out the game mentally at that point.

Jackson and Aaliyah were battling back and forth all game, similar to Aaliyah and Morrow. Aaliyah maintained her composure even when calls weren't going her way when she thought they should. Refs screw up and miss things, but losing your composure and acting like that hurts more than helps.
You have a point about Jackson’s composure.

I just think the entire Tennessee team was frustrated with Aaliyah. She made them look bad on offense. In the 2nd quarter, UConn was exhausted and the reffing got a little weird and TN found they could dominate the offensive glass, which must have been very satisfying for them. In effect, the refs told them they’d be allowed to dominate physically. But then the refs pulled the rug out from under them in the 3rd, and no one suffered from it more than Jackson. Now the bad calls were going UConn’s way.

Of course, you’re right that Jackson should have kept her cool. Everyone else suffered from the inconsistent reffing too. I was thinking about that moment when it looked like Horston and Nika might mix it up. Jordan had been whistled for a foul out on the perimeter and then tried to grab the ball one more time and Nika reacted. But they sorted it out between them and cooled off before the refs even got there to break it up. The two feistiest players on the court kept their cool. If they could do it, Jackson should have too.

I didn’t really follow her at Miss St but I gather her rep was as a smooth scorer who didn’t play much D and had little team spirit — defense and team spirit seem to go together. Kellie has her playing better D at TN, but it’s hard to work transfers into the team culture in only a few months. I hope she can manage it in the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
While for most of the game, I didn't see the ref's favor one team or the other (they were consistently inconsistent, missing calls on both sides), the double foul call will stand out to me as one of the worst calls I have seen in many years of following college basketball, men and women.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom