VCU UConn thoughts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

VCU UConn thoughts

Reaction Score
I think betting in this forum is ridiculous but I'll take any bet that VCU will not be good. I mean, if you can't put the ball into the basket, you may just lose to Wagner by double digits.

40 points against Wagner!!!!

Let that sink in.
I guess it depends how you define good. I don't think they're making the tournamament, but I'd be shocked if they're not a good win at the end of the year. Quad 1 win would mean they're 1-50 and Quad 2 win would be 51-100, given their conference I feel like that's the floor for them which is a good win

Reaction Score
I think betting in this forum is ridiculous but I'll take any bet that VCU will not be good. I mean, if you can't put the ball into the basket, you may just lose to Wagner by double digits.

Let that sink in.
Did you notice we couldn't put the ball in the basket?

Reaction Score
If your Hurley, you throw today’s tape in the garbage before viewing it. The kids were obviously fatigued, physically and mentally. That said, they still found a way to win an ugly game vs a very good defensive team. That builds character and resolve. This three day trip will go along way in establishing a foundation for the entire season. The trip was a success for that reason alone.

Reaction Score
It's not the refs. They don't shoot bricks, they don't inbounds into the "coffin corner", they don't fail to hit the open man, they don't give baseline, they don't dribble into a crowd, and they don't commit dumb turnovers.

Blaming the refs is a timeworn excuse for failure.

Reaction Score

Let that sink in.
Is Kansas any good or should we define them by today’s loss? Sometimes in college basketball you get weird results especially early on in the year. To micro analyze today’s game, our 3rd in 48 hours is perhaps the craziest thing.

Reaction Score
Cole and Whaley saved us. Hurley has so much to work on. Too many things to list. Hurley needs to give the freshmen minutes going forward. They're not deep right now and they're really not deep in the backcourt. Too much burden is being placed on Cole, it simply can't continue like this. Diggins needs minutes.

Ugly as hell but still went 2-1. Never want UConn in this event again, never want to see the Bahamas again, and most of all never want to see these refs again. When refs are that inept I start to question if they're dirty.
We were out doing Thanksgiving Day II which was like Ground Hog Day. I just finished watching a recording of this game 5 minutes ago not knowing who won. I exhausted my quota a sweat words for the season. I rolled the video back and re-watched 8\10 calls by these sorry excuses of refs. Refs need to go to Ref Reform school. Sanogo needs to be coucounceled eled on passing the ball out of traffic instead of trying to play charging bull. Gaffney is not consistent.
I change my mind this team does need work on dept. I was wrong in my prior assessment.
These three games had enough dumb plays to last until March.

Reaction Score
Is Kansas any good or should we define them by today’s loss? Sometimes in college basketball you get weird results especially early on in the year. To micro analyze today’s game, our 3rd in 48 hours is perhaps the craziest thing.
Dayton is not Wagner nor was Kansas limited to 40 points.

They also lost to Chattanooga. Better than losing to Wagner but...

In VCU I saw a team that absolutely could not shoot. There were ways to exploit them.

This doesn't mean UConn is doomed. I don't believe that at all. I was only responding to those saying we ran into a bad matchup today.

I agree with Hurley. They played bad. But won.

Reaction Score
Seems like we're still a bunch of moving parts.

Just saying, the team does not look they are in synch. Sure its early but to me, that will be Hurley's biggest task (i.e. creating a kick ass machine).
It's got to be hard to be in synch when you don't know day to day who isn't going to show up. Sanogo? AJ? Polley? Gaffney? How do you game play not knowing whether Polley will go for 24 or 3? Not knowing if SAnogo will go for 30 or 6? Not knowing if Akok will ever look like he was as a frosh. I won't talk about Martin because he was clearly playing one handed the last 20 minutes.

The good news is we won 2 out of 3 despite players being banged up, beat up, and having to play 135 minutes of competitive hoops in 48 hours. The good news is we can defend and rebound. But we need more team offense, and we need two players who can be hitting outside shots on any given day.

Said another way, of course, this team so far is who we thought they would be coming into the season. The potential is there for more. Some need to be better, and almost all need to be more consistent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Didn't see anyone mention it, Andre Jackson had 14 rebounds today. Every shot is in and out for him and he's too sloppy with some of his passes but he does a lot of things out there. He's a beast on the glass.
He reminds me of my buddy’s Chesapeake Bay Retriever, in all ways good and bad.

Reaction Score
As good as Adama has looked, he has some glaring warts as well, Specifically, he leaves a TON to be desired as a passer. Additionally, he never made himself available on a few of those TO’s where Cole got trapped. Would have been an excellent pass
Adama is also not a very good rebounder and rarely boxes out.

Reaction Score
People here complain about Hurleys game coaching. Bill Self is worse

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go as far as mediocre but this week really just reinforced what I thought preseason. This is a borderline top 25 team who's going to struggle for large stretches offensively and probably has a ceiling of the S16
I agree on the S16 tops!

Reaction Score
They won a crapfest....a loss would have been a disaster.

Over the 3 days we learned how important Cole & Whaley are.
But even Cole had his odd moments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We probably will be very close to top 15 on Monday. We’re moving up in the rankings. But agreed we have a lot to work on. They’re easy things to fix though
I do not believe that the loss to Michy State will hurt us much in rankings. But of I have to admit that I was wrong, once.

Reaction Score
West Virginia and st johns are prob licking their chops right now.
Actually, West Virginia probably isn’t licking their chops right now. They’re down by 2 tol Eastern Kentucky with less than seven minutes left.

St. John’s just beat an 0-5 team by six points.

Point being, lots of teams struggle. It seems we made the same mistakes again and again and again, but we had exactly 0 practice time to address them. I love the fight in team I saw, we look tough and if we fix a few things will be great. If we don’t, probably still a tournament team and a tough out. Still a lot to like.

Reaction Score
He reminds me of my buddy’s Chesapeake Bay Retriever, in all ways good and bad.

Yes but when the weather gets cold and nasty it the Chessie you can count on to get the job done when others can’t !

Hopefully the same will apply with AJ

Reaction Score
It's not the refs. They don't shoot bricks, they don't inbounds into the "coffin corner", they don't fail to hit the open man, they don't give baseline, they don't dribble into a crowd, and they don't commit dumb turnovers.

Blaming the refs is a timeworn excuse for failure.
we can criticize the refs but that does not mean mean to use refs as an excuse . Uconn won today but that does not in my opinion exonerated th e refs.
People here complain about Hurleys game coaching. Bill Self is worse
Did Hurley get caught in a trap? did he make bad passes?

Reaction Score

Let that sink in.

Shrug.

You don't know what you saw. Rhoades can take 8 guys with length and beat 70% of his schedule. After what you just saw today ... I don't care about Wagner. They said he lost two of his best players early. I saw enough of the kids he has. He will win most all of his games on his conference schedule. And every year ... VCU is a tough out. You watch them today? They simply aren't fun to play; and zero of those guys would get a look from our coaches. HOWEVER, they all came from solid basketball programs prior. He has a knack .... Shaka Smart had a knack. There is a VCU DNA ... and that Rhoades is good.

Reaction Score
Shrug.

You don't know what you saw. Rhoades can take 8 guys with length and beat 70% of his schedule. After what you just saw today ... I don't care about Wagner. They said he lost two of his best players early. I saw enough of the kids he has. He will win most all of his games on his conference schedule. And every year ... VCU is a tough out. You watch them today? They simply aren't fun to play; and zero of those guys would get a look from our coaches. HOWEVER, they all came from solid basketball programs prior. He has a knack .... Shaka Smart had a knack. There is a VCU DNA ... and that Rhoades is good.
it’s not popular to give the other team any credit here

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom