VCU UConn thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

VCU UConn thoughts

Reaction Score
Severe overreaction. VCU was a bad draw for a team who had the toughest draw in Atlantis and was playing there 3rd game in 3 days one being a double overtime dog fight. Our guys were physically and mentally exhausted. Sloppy play, tired legs, and poor decisions. But we aren’t mediocre
VCU may not have a winning record at the end of the year. They already lost by double digits to Wagner and also lost to Chattanooga. It’s a team that will finish with 40+ points in multiple games this year. In other words, they are not very good. There were a ton of different ways to exploit them.

Reaction Score
It would be a travesty if we don’t learn from these games. If we see the awful execution on out of bounds plays continue then we should be worried. If we see terrible half court turnovers pile up, we should be worried. If we see poor execution on offense continue we should be worried. It’s early in the season, but if Hurley and co. don’t iron this out, we’re gonna be in dogfights all season.

Reaction Score
we’re a top 20-25 team hoping for a 6 seed in the tourney. That’s what the expectation was going into the season and that’s what it is now. Beating auburn didn’t make us a final 4 contender and losing to MSU doesn’t mean we’re missing the tourney. Outlooks can’t change with each win or loss it’s a long season.

Reaction Score
The negatives have been beaten to death, but I think there's some positives to take away from these early games:

- I still wouldn't say we're a good 3 point shooting team but we needed Whaley/Akok/Martin/Jackson to take a step forward and they're shooting 18/38 right now. Even if that regresses a bit that'll be more than good enough.

- The offense leaves a lot to be desired and late game playcalling too, but that OOB play to get Cole a 3 is great. Would be nice to have a 2nd play that works as well though

Reaction Score
People need to relax. We played 3 games in 48 hours and the first game went to double overtime. We were undermanned yesterday and gassed today. Under normal circumstances and rest we beat Mich State and destroy VCU. The scheduling of this tournament made no sense and UConn was probably impacted more than anyone. It will be ok. We played as bad as we could today and still won. We are a good team.

Reaction Score
My big gripe is that we don’t pass to the open man when the passing lanes are open. We play a lot of hero ball. And practically every one is guilty of this except Whaley. He is the only one who knows the importance of moving the ball. Gaffney, Sanogo, Martin, and even Cole pass on giving it to the open man. Cole doesn’t trust Sanogo with it, Martin never trusts Gaffney, forget about Sanogo looking to pass out ( tho I suspect Hurley is telling him not to pass if he’s one on one)

Reaction Score
We probably will be very close to top 15 on Monday. We’re moving up in the rankings. But agreed we have a lot to work on. They’re easy things to fix though
Nope. Top 15? You joking? We have to integrate a shooter into this lineup The Hawk, if we can then we'll talk about near top 15. Akok was exposed this weekend and it wasn't good, very weak player.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
They won a crapfest....a loss would have been a disaster.

Over the 3 days we learned how important Cole & Whaley are.
Whaley especially. I found myself doing the same thing as last year. Jumping of of the recliner yelling at Whalley to SHOOT!!!! Again today. He finally did...twice.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Our guard play has been exposed, and our lack of decision making and dumb turnovers in crunch time has added up to a season’s worth already. West Virginia and st johns are prob licking their chops right now.
They may be, but, the kids will be home. Ready to play. They will be excited about conference play.

Reaction Score
As good as Adama has looked, he has some glaring warts as well, Specifically, he leaves a TON to be desired as a passer. Additionally, he never made himself available on a few of those TO’s where Cole got trapped. Would have been an excellent pass

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Seems like we're still a bunch of moving parts.

Just saying, the team does not look they are in synch. Sure its early but to me, that will be Hurley's biggest task (i.e. creating a kick ass machine).
That is why I don't pay attention to the cupcakes. While many were excited, I just laid back. I knew Atlantis was going to be the true test. Even Sonogo looked lost after the Auburn game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
This trip, going 2-1, with the painful loss to MSU, was a small price to pay for the invaluable lessons that Hurley needs to teach and capitalize on game film. It’s only a crime if we don’t learn from our mistakes
Also this group now knows what the season will bring. This trip they played against the big boys. No more cupcakes. Well until next week.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
they played like they were allergic to winning all week.

This tournament can definitely be a positive overall for the team. I'm not saying the sky is falling. But I definitely don't have the same kind of hope for the season that I had 3 days ago
Well I see your point. This was the true test. It will be a positive. They have a bit of a rest before the next game, which I think is a cupcake.

Reaction Score
I simply think many of you don't know what you are watching. I don't really care about the kenpom Defense metrics - but NO ONE should be surprised to see a Tom Izzo team and VCU at the top of that kind of scale. Memphis wouldn't ever scare me. When you have Bruce Pearl with Auburn; then Izzo with Michigan State; and the VCU manic ... those are 3 of the toughest identities in the college game. Are you gonna tell me that Big East teams are nearly that defensive/physical/distinct? There aren't many Programs that come at you like those 3. Upstater - sorry, you simply have no credible take on VCU. They have 9 guys 6-3 to 6-9 and play like dogs. They are gonna be tough in the A10 - as they always are. I have no insight to their losses to Chattanooga or Wagner; but they are darn good.

Sanogo has next level play; but having him pass inside out is his next skillset - no doubt. He had 3 assists ... maybe we saw the start. You can't have guys like Seth Greenberg saying the kid never passes. He can. I agree on Gaffney; he's useful ... but he doesn't manage the team in end game situations well enough for wins. Yesterday, one of you guys were knocking Cole = WTF. He is exactly who we need. Jackson made a lot of winning plays: his toughness inside grabbing D rebounds to his adroit long passes. I dunno if we will see his diversity in scoring; but he needs to be on the floor.

When you say you wouldn't take any of the other teams 5 guys or bench on our lineup ... which I would I would say on both Michigan State and VCU, you are getting to this point: it is the style and identity of the Spartans/Rams that eat us up. Intense. They both gave us hard games. We need to be up 4-7 points with 4 minutes to go and extend it to 10. And we cannot do that ... yet.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
As good as Adama has looked, he has some glaring warts as well, Specifically, he leaves a TON to be desired as a passer. Additionally, he never made himself available on a few of those TO’s where Cole got trapped. Would have been an excellent pass
Sonogo looked lost after the Auburn game. Also, what the heck is doing at the top of the key and running back to the hoop chasing a driver. I thought the was the UConn of old. Don't remember seeing that before the tournament.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We probably will be very close to top 15 on Monday. We’re moving up in the rankings. But agreed we have a lot to work on. They’re easy things to fix though
My opinion only. We lose today we are #25 or off. Yes Auburn was #17? Bu two loses to unranked teams would not look good.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I really think we need a second ballhandler to help Cole.
I remember a little difference of opinion last week over whether or not Hawkins had enough handle for that role. Think that question is settled for a bit.

Reaction Score
If it hasn’t been said anywhere, huge props to the whole @RJScootin family again for their energy at the game today.

My daughter and I were among the few in the midcourt UConn fan section who stood for the whole game. He and his boy tried to urge people on the whole game, definitely dodging security much of the time. These guys left it all on the court there.
Thank you!!! Nothing but love. You did the same!!!! We bleed blue

Reaction Score
I simply think many of you don't know what you are watching. I don't really care about the kenpom Defense metrics - but NO ONE should be surprised to see a Tom Izzo team and VCU at the top of that kind of scale. Memphis wouldn't ever scare me. When you have Bruce Pearl with Auburn; then Izzo with Michigan State; and the VCU manic ... those are 3 of the toughest identities in the college game. Are you gonna tell me that Big East teams are nearly that defensive/physical/distinct? There aren't many Programs that come at you like those 3. Upstater - sorry, you simply have no credible take on VCU. They have 9 guys 6-3 to 6-9 and play like dogs. They are gonna be tough in the A10 - as they always are. I have no insight to their losses to Chattanooga or Wagner; but they are darn good.

Sanogo has next level play; but having him pass inside out is his next skillset - no doubt. He had 3 assists ... maybe we saw the start. You can't have guys like Seth Greenberg saying the kid never passes. He can. I agree on Gaffney; he's useful ... but he doesn't manage the team in end game situations well enough for wins. Yesterday, one of you guys were knocking Cole = . He is exactly who we need. Jackson made a lot of winning plays: his toughness inside grabbing D rebounds to his adroit long passes. I dunno if we will see his diversity in scoring; but he needs to be on the floor.

When you say you wouldn't take any of the other teams 5 guys or bench on our lineup ... which I would I would say on both Michigan State and VCU, you are getting to this point: it is the style and identity of the Spartans/Rams that eat us up. Intense. They both gave us hard games. We need to be up 4-7 points with 4 minutes to go and extend it to 10. And we cannot do that ... yet.
I think betting in this forum is ridiculous but I'll take any bet that VCU will not be good. I mean, if you can't put the ball into the basket, you may just lose to Wagner by double digits.

40 points against Wagner!!!!

Let that sink in.

Reaction Score
Didn’t watch it, heard It’s an ugly win.

that,s March. Just win baby

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom