Vanderbilt | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Admission standards are very tough. Only a tiny percentage of applicants are admitted, and that is among a pool of students who are academically strong or they wouldn't be applying to Vandy in the first place.
This is not Vandy specific, however I wonder what it would be like to have a league with the likes of Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Ivies, and other highly rated, difficult to get into, universities?

Reaction Score
This is not Vandy specific, however I wonder what it would be like to have a league with the likes of Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Ivies, and other highly rated, difficult to get into, universities?
I've fantasized about that a time or two. Won't ever happen, of course. For one thing, Vandy gets a very outsized share of revenue from being in the SEC. The university gets the same payout as the sport goliaths like Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee etc. I have wondered if someone could set up a holiday or early-season tournament of sorts featuring some of these teams pitted against each other. I don't think even that would work realistically because most of those schools don't even draw well in their own gyms much less at some other venue.

Here's a tweet from assistant athletic director Ricky Thrash III concerning the small number of applicants who get accepted at the school. (I think it's actually fewer now). His point is that athletes should appreciate and take advantage of the fact that they are among those accepted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ciaja Harbison is in the SEC record books. The grad transfer from St. Louis has been a true joy to watch this season. As rough as this season has been, I shudder to think what it would have been without her. We don't have to guess. When she was out with a concussion, Vandy lost to ETSU and UT-Martin. Case closed.

Reaction Score
Ciaja Harbison is in the SEC record books. The grad transfer from St. Louis has been a true joy to watch this season. As rough as this season has been, I shudder to think what it would have been without her. We don't have to guess. When she was out with a concussion, Vandy lost to ETSU and UT-Martin. Case closed.

Harrison should be first team SEC

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hey @YoDore - tried my best to cheer on and scream for Vandy today. Impressed with their fight and the 14-0 run. It will be fun to see what Shea can do with a bigger healthier roster next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey @YoDore - tried my best to cheer on and scream for Vandy today. Impressed with their fight and the 14-0 run. It will be fun to see what Shea can do with a bigger roster next season.

**Healthier!

Reaction Score
Hey @YoDore - tried my best to cheer on and scream for Vandy today. Impressed with their fight and the 14-0 run. It will be fun to see what Shea can do with a bigger healthier roster next season.
Amen to that. I think you're right in both cases...we should be bigger and healthier. Shea's postgame press conference was good if you're interested. The last couple minutes especially lifted my spirits.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Amen to that. I think you're right in both cases...we should be bigger and healthier. Shea's postgame press conference was good if you're interested. The last couple minutes especially lifted my spirits.
i think you have a keeper, and unlike some, think she's gonna stay there for a while.

Reaction Score
I really think Vandy can really go far under Shea. She has learned from some of the best and knows what needs to be done. The passion in her voice in the last few minutes was great. Looking forward to see what happens next season.

Reaction Score
Coach Ralph seems very high on this young lady, and she'll bring badly needed size and athleticism to the squad next year. She's 6'2, which admittedly is not at all big for an SEC front court player, but has speed and jumping ability. I could see her spending most of her time at the three/four positions. Averaged 24.5 ppg her senior season. Shea also signed a 6'3 and 6'4 player along with another 6'2, so, overall, the team is starting to get a bit bigger. Thank goodness.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Coach Ralph seems very high on this young lady, and she'll bring badly needed size and athleticism to the squad next year. She's 6'2, which admittedly is not at all big for an SEC front court player, but has speed and jumping ability. I could see her spending most of her time at the three/four positions. Averaged 24.5 ppg her senior season. Shea also signed a 6'3 and 6'4 player along with another 6'2, so, overall, the team is starting to get a bit bigger. Thank goodness.

Is this the player you thought was a bit of a project?

Reaction Score
Is this the player you thought was a bit of a project?
No, the one I was talking about is a 6'3 kid out of Georgia, Bailey Gilmore. Obviously I could be wrong about her, and Shea knows a lot more about it than I do. I just haven't seen any film that knocked me over, and she had a very modest list of offers. Very high academic kid.

Pierre, the kid listed above, is #63 on ESPN's Hoopgurlz rankings. I think she has a chance to be a good one.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No, the one I was talking about is a 6'3 kid out of Georgia, Bailey Gilmore. Obviously I could be wrong about her, and Shea knows a lot more about it than I do. I just haven't seen any film that knocked me over, and she had a very modest list of offers. Very high academic kid.

Pierre, the kid listed above, is #63 on ESPN's Hoopgurlz rankings. I think she has a chance to be a good one.
Thanks much.

Reaction Score
Duke grad Jordyn Oliver committed to Vandy a few days ago. She should have two years of eligibility left since she redshirted a year at Duke due to injury. Started her career at Baylor and transferred to Duke after two years when Mulkey left for LSU. With Jordyn Cambridge returning to the court after missing a year to yet another surgery, Oliver could be valuable at the point guard position and take some of the load off Cambridge.

Reaction Score
Class of '25 shooting guard Ciara Byars from George Rogers Clark High School in Winchester, Ky. got a Vandy offer this weekend. Plays for Kentucky Premier in the summer. Coach Ralph has an affinity for the Premier players. This is the third one with an offer including 6'2 Leah Macy ('25) and 5'9 Chloe Spreen ('24).

Her offers:

Vanderbilt
Dayton
Louisville
Marshall
EKU
NKU
Cincinnati

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing this young lady on campus in a couple months. I think she and coach Ralph will be great combo.

Reaction Score
Class of '26 guard from Indianapolis, Ind. She's a Blue Star 30 player who competes for Decatur Central High School and plays summer ball for the Sports City Angels 17u squad. Got the offer after this weekend's action. Has several offers including Ohio State and Iowa along with SEC schools Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi State.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Pissott (6-4) is a similar type player to Agata Makurat (6-3), though Pissott tends to hang out on the perimeter a bit more.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In other, more unpleasant news, Vanderbilt is being sued by a former women's basketball player over the conduct (sexual assault) by a former assistant coach (Vikki Picott). Picott was an assistant on Melanie Balcomb's staff when the alleged conduct took place.

I know who the player is but won't post it because I haven't seen any public reporting of her identity.

Picott's last coaching position was on Houston's staff as an associate head coach. She is no longer a member of the Courgar's staff.

Reaction Score
Official welcome for Jordyn Oliver. I for one am happy to have her onboard to hopefully take some of the workload off Jordyn Cambridge and her fragile legs.

Reaction Score
Not sure how she'll do on the basketball floor, but I suspect she'll hold her own in the classroom. She's a 6'3 incoming freshman from Georgia. Didn't have an impressive list of offers, but not everyone on a 13-player roster is going to be a star. Either way, I suspect she'll be a great asset for the team. I thought her accomplishment deserved some recognition.

Reaction Score
Coach Ralph and football coach Clark Lea were in Chicago yesterday for a gathering with Vandy fans. Some of the coaches were in Atlanta the day before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom