USF Postgame Thread [merged thread] | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The 41 point win was great, but seeing Kyla in pain after her fall, along with her mom in the stands watching, removed much of the enjoyment of today’s game. Hopefully, her injury is not nearly as bad as it looked. If Kyla is out, Evelyn becomes much more important for UConn going forward. Nice to see her get some solid minutes today.
  • UConn’s came out with outstanding energy on defense. Liv and her teammates were incredibly active shutting down everything USF tried to do. The Huskies also moved the ball pretty well offensively, but missed a bundle of open looks throughout the game. I guess when you hold an opponent to 22 points, 15% shooting & 17 turnovers through 3 quarters, it doesn’t really matter how well you shoot the ball.
  • When the Huskies struggle shooting the ball, I wouldn’t mind seeing them attempt to pound the ball inside a little more to Liv. Her post up game continues to get better and better.
  • STOP THE PRESSES. Aubrey knocked down a 15’ jumper. Somewhere, I’m sure Jingo was yelling, “NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!”
  • When Megan takes off on one of her end-to-end drives, I can almost hear the freight train whistle blowing. Never step on the tracks in front of the oncoming train.
  • Molly's two threes from NBA range were pretty cool.
  • As for ESPN, I could have done with a whole lot less Charlie Crème and a lot more Sue Bird.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Team Defense

38 points in a conference semi-final game...are you kidding me?? C'mon, Kib, that's a hint!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • T I guess when you hold an opponent to 22 points, 15% shooting & 17 turnovers through 3 quarters, it doesn’t really matter so much how well you shoot the ball.

When is a 40 point win deeply unsatisfying....When you can't make an outside shot for much of the first half...Oh and btw....it deeply matters how well you shoot because a coupla levels up...perhaps as soon as we leave Storrs there are a whole lot of competent teams out there.

It was a decisive win but not good enough to convince me. We just outmuscled them.

Reaction Score
Where to start on the announcers? "Ladies"! They both coudn't stop saying "Ladies." Honestly! Plus, the banana cheer.
Just when I thought ESPN announcers were finally understanding their roles..............they went full circle and started randomly spewing about everything else but the game (especially in the 4Q)! :( Oh yeah......... and the half time report? They must have thought they were doing it for SC! Lets hope next year it improves. :confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nobody in double figures today for USF. Wow, that’s some kind of defense. You can’t tell me that USF is not “elated” to see UConn leave the AAC. No other team in the conference will ever put a whuppin' like that on them again!! To make matters worse, UConn spanked them twice in one week by the same exact MOV, 41. :confused:

Every team in the conference will be glad we're gone. Now, EVERYTHING opens up for the entire league. No more elephants in the room. 3-4 teams that would NEVER have even hope to sniff an NCAA tournament bid will now have a chance to do so. No more "automatic" losses on their schedule when they play UConn. UConn NEVER belonged in this conference. UConn was an elite top 3 ranked program in a conference comprised of mid-majors. They completely far and away out classed every other team. That's why they never loss a game during their conference affiliation.

Every UConn fan knew that we did not belong there, and we had to find a way to get out. It was a hard decision, but finally the administration realized that the athletic department was in quick sand, and going nowhere as long as we were in the AAC. We were as out of place in that conference as a 6 foot man would be at a "Little people's" convention.

Kudos to them for having the "stones" to formulate an escape strategy, and then implement it. A tip o' the turban to the administration for turning the page on a bad experience, and breathing some fresh air back into the athletic program. :D I'm very excited about beginning play next season in the BIG East. New conference teams, new faces, new venues, less miles they have to travel for road games. A win-win for UConn and the BIG East. Like Bob Vila, host of the TV program "This old house" use to say....It's good to be home again. :D

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Charlie's logic: UConn can't be a number one seed because they lost to the top teams. Also Charlie: Tennessee gets in to the tournament because of their quality losses.

Also Charlie: Even if Maryland loses to Ohio State, UConn‘s wins (that include Ohio state) aren’t even on the same planet as Mayland’s bad losses (that would also include Ohio State).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When is a 40 point win deeply unsatisfying....When you can't make an outside shot for much of the first half...Oh and btw....it deeply matters how well you shoot because a coupla levels up...perhaps as soon as we leave Storrs there are a whole lot of competent teams out there.

It was a decisive win but not good enough to convince me. We just outmuscled them.
I wouldn't go that far. Defense matters every bit as much as offense, and today UConn's defense was outstanding. Earlier today, I watched an undermanned IO St shoot 34.5% and still beat #2 Baylor 57-56 by playing tough interior defense against Baylor's dominant front line.

Reaction Score
Also Charlie: Even if Maryland loses to Ohio State, UConn‘s wins (that include Ohio state) aren’t as good as Mayland’s bad losses (that would also include Ohio State).
ESPN is trying so hard to come up with reasons why UConn shouldn't get that last number one seed. They are bending themselves into a pretzel with some of their excuses. It seems like records don't matter this year, and a loss now doesn't impact rankings for seeding. I mean how does he still have Louisville ahead of UConn? At the very worst UConn should be #5 overall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What had been a nice quietly called quarter final yesterday became a whole load of ESPN BS today - By the second quarter I just turned off the sound as ESPN had obviously told the announcers no one was watching the game - they all were still watching because the announcers and the studio were doing such a good job entertaining them and the picture was just there for a distraction.

Nothing like shooting tending toward the mean - lights out yesterday, nada today. Hopefully they'll shoot better tomorrow.

That press is not very good Uconn throws out there. The front of it is pretty good but the other two defenders are too far off the outlet passes.

Defense was pretty good but was helped but a bunch of unforced turnovers and USF shooting atrociously.

About half way through the 3rd Q Uconn had tripled up USF - 51-17. The last 15 minutes USF scored more than they had in the first 25

Reaction Score
The swagger is back!

I hope Kyla is OK.

Great defense. 41 point margin is only one point more than their average winning margin for seven years and 138 victories.

Anna was ineffective on offense but I think USF targeted her because she's been so key to UConn's recent surge.

Onward and upward!

Reaction Score
UCONN can either prove them right or prove them wrong. The team is playing their best right now. Our coaches are the best.
If you are not fans of UCONN then you would rather watch anyone but us play & win.
I hope UCONN proves everyone wrong...IMO.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I shrieked when Kyla went down same as I did when KML went down versus Stanford.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did it look like Kyla's elbow split the skin or was I seeing things?

You'd think the push she got from behind by the SF player might've been worth mentioning by the broadcast team.
I thought I saw the same thing. She was holding it like it was broken. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
The swagger is back!

I hope Kyla is OK.

Great defense. 41 point margin is only one point more than their average winning margin for seven years and 138 victories.

Anna was ineffective on offense but I think USF targeted her because she's been so key to UConn's recent surge.

Onward and upward!
They did seem to pay more attention to her than usual but she sti Ed team in assists and woud have had several more had it not been for godawful shooting. My concern is the 3 pointer she had was contested, roving she can make it, but and she once again she frequently passed up taking the shot herself. Meg scores a
lot partly because she shoots a lot. The problem with the game is UConn barely needed to break a sweat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom