USA Basketball--Paige and her teammates | The Boneyard

USA Basketball--Paige and her teammates

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The 2019 U-19 USA Basketball team was loaded. They won the Gold Medal, and Paige was the MVP. See if the names sound familiar and how they are doing this season AND post-season:

Paige Bueckers, UConn

Fran Belibi, Stanford

Aaliyah Boston, South Carolina

Cameron Brink, Stanford

Caitlyn Clark, Iowa

Queen Egbo, Baylor

Naz Hillmon, Michigan

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Ashley Joens, Iowa State

Diamond Miller, Maryland

Celeste Taylor, Texas

Hailey Van Lith, Louisville

Reaction Score
The 2019 U-19 USA Basketball team was loaded. They won the Gold Medal, and Paige was the MVP. See if the names sound familiar and how they are doing this season AND post-season:

Paige Bueckers, UConn

Fran Belibi, Stanford

Cameron Brink, Stanford

Caitlyn Clark, Iowa

Queen Egbo, Baylor

Naz Hillmon, Michigan

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Ashley Joens, Iowa State

Diamond Miller, Maryland

Celeste Taylor, Texas

Wow, as of this moment (Q3 of TX-UCLA game) Ashley Joens is the only one on your list who isn't still alive in the NCAA tourney!

Reaction Score
Wow. Does anyone know who the starting five were?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
From the videos I watched, Clark didn't start, barely played. Paige started, and was voted MVP. Here are the final stats. Very interesting.

u19 stats.PNG

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers, UConn

Fran Belibi, Stanford

Cameron Brink, Stanford

Caitlyn Clark, Iowa

Queen Egbo, Baylor

Naz Hillmon, Michigan

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Ashley Joens, Iowa State

Diamond Miller, Maryland

Celeste Taylor, Texas

I've watched each of the games that team and the 2018 U17 team played at least 10 times apiece. They are perhaps the best U17 and U19 teams of all time. In truth, I thought the U17 team with Fudd, Horston and Haley Jones was the better team. On that team Von Lith barely saw floor time.

Reaction Score
That U17 team was much better than the U18 that competed in the same year; Williams was, I believe, on that team.

Reaction Score
That U17 team was much better than the U18 that competed in the same year; Williams was, I believe, on that team.
Liv as well; that was her coming out party.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Actually I think Van Lith was the pg, at least she brought up the ball, but she and Bueckers handled the playmaking together.

The final against Australia was a classic battle with a thrilling finish.
Van Lith's Assist to turnover ratio (16/27) was pretty poor. Paige had the best! ( 38/16)

Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers, UConn

Fran Belibi, Stanford

Cameron Brink, Stanford

Caitlyn Clark, Iowa

Queen Egbo, Baylor

Naz Hillmon, Michigan

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Ashley Joens, Iowa State

Diamond Miller, Maryland

Celeste Taylor, Texas

They are "distributed" into different teams. Well balanced.

Reaction Score
From the videos I watched, Clark didn't start, barely played. Paige started, and was voted MVP. Here are the final stats. Very interesting.

View attachment 66269
Paige also played with most minutes than any other like in UConn. It seems that all the coach would just let her play as she wants.

Reaction Score

Paige Bueckers, UConn

Fran Belibi, Stanford

Cameron Brink, Stanford

Caitlyn Clark, Iowa

Queen Egbo, Baylor

Naz Hillmon, Michigan

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Ashley Joens, Iowa State

Diamond Miller, Maryland

Celeste Taylor, Texas

I saw many of those games. Jeff Walz [Louisville] was the coach and hardly played Clark or Joens alongside Paige. He mostly played the lesser Van Lith whom he was recruiting.

Reaction Score
I've watched each of the games that team and the 2018 U17 team played at least 10 times apiece. They are perhaps the best U17 and U19 teams of all time. In truth, I thought the U17 team with Fudd, Horston and Haley Jones was the better team. On that team Von Lith barely saw floor time.
Because of who was NOT the head coach. Pure coincidence? ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reason she played on the 19U was Walz was the coach and he either had a commitment from Haley or was working on one. When she played point the offense was around her getting her shot. Then Paige would play point guard and Boston would get fed the ball like a hungry Lion in the paint. Paige made her teammates better and is a true point guard.

JordyG

Reaction Score
While the games were playing I said exactly the same thing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Van Lith's Assist to turnover ratio (16/27) was pretty poor. Paige had the best! ( 38/16)
During that series Haley was a walking TO. When pressured on her dribble she'd turn the ball over consistently.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The only surprise is that I expected Horston to be a superstar in college. She was the best player on a team that had Paige, Azzi, Boston and Jones as starters.
We Jordy's are starting to think alike. While watching Tenn lose to a Michigan team I thought they should have beaten I couldn't help but notice Horston, wondering how someone with such talent and promise could fail to develop any of her skills. She still has trouble finishing around the hoop, she is still a horrible shooter from anywhere on the court, she still has this terrible shooting stroke, she is still a barely average FT shooter, she doesn't play well off the ball and she and still turns the ball over too much. How is it possible that after two years she hasn't improved in any of those areas? Further she seems to have not taken her strength and conditioning seriously.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We Jordy's are starting to think alike. While watching Tenn lose to a Michigan team I thought they should have beaten I couldn't help but notice Horston, wondering how someone with such talent and promise could fail to develop any of her skills. She still has trouble finishing around the hoop, she is still a horrible shooter from anywhere on the court, she still has this terrible shooting stroke, she is still a barely average FT shooter, she doesn't play well off the ball and she and still turns the ball over too much. How is it possible that after two years she hasn't improved in any of those areas? Further she seems to have not taken her strength and conditioning seriously.

In short, she plays for Tennessee. ;)

Reaction Score
Good points. How is it possible that Ono still extends and releases her FTs higher than any shots she takes within 5 feet of the rim? IMO, it just comes down to how much time and work is a kid willing to put into the offseason to make the changes that are necessary. There are quality instructors all around the country that would work with a Tennessee or UConn level athlete to help them be the best they can but the kid has to want it. I doubt that Fudd's and Bueckers' families are paying thousands of dollars to polish those elite skills. It just depends what a kid's goals are.

Reaction Score
The only surprise is that I expected Horston to be a superstar in college. She was the best player on a team that had Paige, Azzi, Boston and Jones as starters.
It's Joens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom