USA Basketball 3x3 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USA Basketball 3x3

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Thanks for the updates. i'd never really paid attention to 3X3, but it was very exciting. Our 4 players are the only Americans returning to play next season. Hopefully this experience will help Ashlon Jackson's confidence going into the fall.

Most welcome!

Duke was by far the most prepared team from the jump! You can tell that Kara Lawson gave them some good information on how to play the game. From the start their substitution pattern was spot on as they rotated with every whistle. They also were one of the first teams I noticed that crashed the glass for boards instead of keeping a player back like you would for 5x5 as there is no backcourt in 3x3. Smart players! Creighton just had basically 4 wing/guards, 2 of which could post up, and ALL could shoot the three. That was the difference.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the updates. i'd never really paid attention to 3X3, but it was very exciting. Our 4 players are the only Americans returning to play next season. Hopefully this experience will help Ashlon Jackson's confidence going into the fall.

This type of competition is great for players to get exposed to more. More spacing for the players to move around and it encourages versatility if you ask me. The FIBA 3x3 tournaments throughout the summer are great fun to watch.

Love running 3x3 drills when I coach. One drill I liked was where teams squared off until they scored and continued to be on the court until they got knocked out. It's fun to see the kids trying to figure out how they can work together to stay on the court the longest.

Reaction Score
This type of competition is great for players to get exposed to more. More spacing for the players to move around and it encourages versatility if you ask me. The FIBA 3x3 tournaments throughout the summer are great fun to watch.

Love running 3x3 drills when I coach. One drill I liked was where teams squared off until they scored and continued to be on the court until they got knocked out. It's fun to see the kids trying to figure out how they can work together to stay on the court the longest.
I totally agree. I love having my team play 3v3 or 4v4 in the halfcourt setting. Those 3v3 or 4v4 games develops so many components of a player's basketball IQ and their conditioning levels. You learn so much about your team in those small game settings.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Rizzotti's crew started the World Cup with a loss to old friends Canada and then defeated Hungary:

The first game on Thursday is against Mongolia and then they play the Czech Republic, which has already defeated Canada. FIBA's YouTube channel has a broadcast for each day.
Appreciate the update. I wonder if their games are on YouTube. I watched some version of the FIBA 3X3 this weekend. I believe it was the A pool of teams. All I know is there was Brazil, France, Espana, and the Netherlands. I love those 3x3 games and the commentary. Some countries and their fans are really starting to get into the games. The energy levels are HIGH!

Reaction Score
The USA/Mongolia game was CRAZY! Sometimes crazy bad for the USA (7-1 start for Mongolia), sometimes crazy good (Haley Van Lith was a tornado in this one.) The game almost went to the clock... finished on points with 0.5s left. Yikes!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The USA/Mongolia game was CRAZY! Sometimes crazy bad for the USA (7-1 start for Mongolia), sometimes crazy good (Haley Van Lith was a tornado in this one.) The game almost went to the clock... finished on points with 0.5s left. Yikes!

#5 for Mongolia was wearing ear rings, or pins. That cant be allowed?

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
That struggle against Mongolia meant that their big win over the Czech Republic did not get them the top spot in the tiebreaker so they will not get a bye to the quarterfinals and will have to play a Saturday morning game as well.
Awhom111, the "struggle against Mongolia" as you phrased it, had nothing to do with their finishing in second place in their pool, since they scored 21 points in that game. The criteria for standings in FIBA 3x3 is (a) most wins (highest win percentage); (b) head-to-head; (c) most points scored in average; (d) highest seed.

Canada won the three-way tie (with the USA and Czech Rep) because they finished with one more total point than the USA (and 10 more than the CR) after four games. In other words, tie-breaking criteria (c). Sure, if the USA scored two points on the last play of the game against Mongolia, they would have ended up even with Canada, and therefore "earned" the top spot in their pool due to their higher seeding.

If you want to assign causation to their second place pool finish, then it would be more appropriate to look at the first day and their 16-13 loss to our neighbors up north.

Reaction Score
The United States won both of their games to make the semifinals:

The medalists will also earn spots in the Olympic qualifying tournament.

Awhom111, the "struggle against Mongolia" as you phrased it, had nothing to do with their finishing in second place in their pool, since they scored 21 points in that game. The criteria for standings in FIBA 3x3 is (a) most wins (highest win percentage); (b) head-to-head; (c) most points scored in average; (d) highest seed.

Canada won the three-way tie (with the USA and Czech Rep) because they finished with one more total point than the USA (and 10 more than the CR) after four games. In other words, tie-breaking criteria (c). Sure, if the USA scored two points on the last play of the game against Mongolia, they would have ended up even with Canada, and therefore "earned" the top spot in their pool due to their higher seeding.

If you want to assign causation to their second place pool finish, then it would be more appropriate to look at the first day and their 16-13 loss to our neighbors up north.
I wonder what the reasoning is for using scoring average instead of average or total margin is like they do in 5x5. I like that they do use results in all games in multi-way ties instead of just results between the tied teams and nothing was more crazier than seeing one of the men's groups have all five teams finish at 2-2. So the United States theoretically should have been trying for 22 point wins when they had a cushion. Also, since Canada's last game happened after the United States-Czech Republic game, they knew exactly how many point they would need to score in a win to take the group. I was not expecting the United States to beat Canada before the tournament. It would have been a pleasant surprise to mean had they won the group, but they ended up in a good place in the bracket.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Brink named MVP! Here's an ESPN summary of the women winning gold and men taking silver.

Love seeing this, and what a good way for Brink to use part of her off-season to expand the versatility of her game (she'd never played sanctioned 3x3 before). This is the sort of thing I had hoped to see from Haley Jones the past few years - obvious efforts being made to expand and grow her game in the off-season. I love her podcast, and she's just impossible to dislike, but I've long felt Jones lacks a bit of the hunger that the DT/Maya Moore all-time greats had to always be hustling to get better. If you put Kelsey Plum's will to succeed in Jones's frame and natural basketball IQ, the sky would be the limit...

Brink, by contrast, clearly brings the fuego all day, every day.

Reaction Score
Players were named for a set of upcoming U21 tournaments:

There will be 6 separate tournaments played over a 7 day stretch so the 6 players should each get to play on 4 days.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Mr. KLS is on one of the USA 3x3 teams!! (The 2nd tweet)

Reaction Score
USA Basketball fielded teams at a Women's Series event for this first time this year with two teams in Orleans. The senior team was Blake Dietrick, Linnae Harper, Breanna Richardson, and Camille Zimmerman and they made it to the final before losing to Spain. A U24 crew featuring Lexi Donarski, Madison Scott, Celeste Taylor, and Kayla Wells split their group games and lost to Spain in the quarterfinals.

Reaction Score
USA Basketball fielded teams at a Women's Series event for this first time this year with two teams in Orleans. The senior team was Blake Dietrick, Linnae Harper, Breanna Richardson, and Camille Zimmerman and they made it to the final before losing to Spain. A U24 crew featuring Lexi Donarski, Madison Scott, Celeste Taylor, and Kayla Wells split their group games and lost to Spain in the quarterfinals.
Thanks. With so many 3x3 games this weekend, I saw the USA/Spain headline but was not sure which version of the 3x3 team that was playing. I was watching the men's (5 v 5) games against the Philippines this morning. I will have to check out the 3x3 here shortly. Appreciate the updates.

Reaction Score
USA Basketball also fielded two teams at the Women's series event at Poitiers. It was the same U24 team and they split games in the group stage before a loss to China in the quarterfinals. Cierra Burdick replaced Camille Zimmerman on the senior team and they did win one group game. The other group stage game was against Israel, which featured two American-born players and one of them, Drew Edelman, scored the most points to lead her team to the win. That set up a tough quarterfinal matchup with Canada that they lost, but I guess falling to the eventual champions is not too bad.

Reaction Score
Players were named for a set of upcoming U21 tournaments:

There will be 6 separate tournaments played over a 7 day stretch so the 6 players should each get to play on 4 days.
Jillian Hollingshead was unavailable for this one so the remaining five players rotated for this tournament. With only China and Japan providing any real test, the United States won every tournament except for the second one.

Here were the lineups:
1: Dalce, Maly, Olsen, Sellers
2: Braun, Dalce, Maly, Olsen
3: Braun, Dalce, Olsen, Sellers
4: Braun, Dalce, Maly, Sellers
5: Braun, Dalce, Olsen, Sellers
6: Braun, Maly, Olsen, Sellers

Reaction Score
USA Basketball fielded one team at the Women's Series event in Prishtina, Kosovo featuring Cierra Burdick, Blake Dietrick, Camille Zimmerman, and Caroline Shaughnessy Littlefield, who you probable refer to as Carlie.

In the group stage, they crushed Azerbaijan and then won against Hungarian club team Gyor. They defeated the Netherlands in the quarterfinal, avenged their last loss to Israel, and then edged France for the title. France may be a tougher opponent next week as they plan on fielding a strong team in the event in Bordeaux.

Reaction Score
USA Basketball fielded a lineup of Cierra Burdick, Alexis Peterson, Breanna Richardson, and Camille Zimmerman in Bordeaux. They had two one point losses, one to Latvia, which had to win twice earlier in the day just to qualify for the main tournament, and Spain. France won twice. The next event is in Edmonton and the United States is set to field two teams.

The U17 training camp is covered on the recruiting thread. USA Basketball also announced the players for the U23 team that will look to join the U21 team in winning a Nations League tour stop. The six players, Azana Baines, Dyaisha Fair, Leilani Kapinus, Madison Scott, Sydney Taylor, and Hailey Van Lith, are expected to rotate lineups in six mini-tournaments in seven days.

Reaction Score
USA Basketball fielded Cierra Burdick, Blake Dietrick, Alexis Peterson, and Camille Zimmerman as the senior team and Christina Dalce, Morgan Maly, Lucy Olsen, and Shyanne Sellers as a U24 team in Edmonton. The senior team won narrowly against Germany to finish a sweep of their group while the U24 team split, meaning that they drew each other in the quarterfinals. The senior team won and then lost to Canada in the semifinals.

The U23 team won five out of six tournaments in Chile, getting upset by Venezuela once in pool play and then losing to Puerto Rico in the final event to not make the final.

The players chosen were in the last post and here were the lineups by tournament:
1: Kapinus, Scott, Taylor, Van Lith
2: Baines, Fair, Scott, Van Lith
3: Baines, Kapinus, Taylor, Van Lith
4: Baines, Fair, Scott, Van Lith
5: Kapinus, Scott, Taylor, Van Lith
6: Baines, Fair, Taylor, Van Lith

No, I have no idea why Van Lith played in five tournaments and Kapinus only played in three.

Reaction Score
You can't question Linnae Harper's dedication as she flew to Europe shortly after leaving the Mystics to join Cierra Burdick, Carlie Littlefield, and Camille Zimmerman in Katowice, Poland. The team defeated Ukraine, which had made it through a qualifying round, and then lost to Spain in overtime. That set them up against Italy in the quarterfinal, which they won, then they defeated Gyor, a club team from Hungary, in the semifinals, and Lithuania in the championship. The squad heads to Melilla, a Spanish city in North Africa next for an event on Friday and Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom