US World and News College Rankings 22/23 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

US World and News College Rankings 22/23

Reaction Score
I don't think many people actually care that she killed spring weekend. Most people like the new logo--it was time for an update. I didn't like it at the time... I get it now.

Being unprepared for conference realignment was a disappointment. Biggest failure of the school in its history IMO.

Tom Kat was a very good president IMO. Too bad what went down with him and the Board.
I agree with the rest but the new logo is garbage.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook had it's best ranking ever in the list at Top 77 Nationally, Top 31 Public.

I wonder if some schools got worried after the whole Columbia scandal and stopped gaming the data and that caused Stony Brook to shoot up.

It's also worth noting that last year both - Stony Brook and Buffalo - were officially granted Flagship status by the State of New York

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The constant churn at the top of the university can definitely impact consistent focus on metrics.

It is a bit of a conundrum that within academia the USNWR doesn't hold much weight, but amongst the general public it holds some weight. The academia part should manifest itself in top quality educators going to schools they feel are good but you need high quality students to receive that instruction.

One year drop is not a worry, but when was the last time UConn moved up in the ranking compared to staying still or falling?

In terms of the company you keep, here's the group of schools immediately above UConn all tied at 62, UConn's group, and the two groups immediately below it.

George Washington
Syracuse
University of Minnesota Twin Cities
Pitt
VT

Texas A&M
UConn
UMass
WPI
Yeshiva

American
Fordham
IU- Bloomington
NC State
SMU

Baylor
Clemson
Loyola Marymount
Mich St
Penn St

A lot of private and smaller schools in that list. The group at 77 includes more schools UConn would consider peers as large state land grant universities.

Considering Pitt, Texas A&M, Indiana, Mich St, Penn St and UM Twin Cities are all AAU, UConn is still in the fat part of the bell curve for peer universities.

Tied at 77 you also have Stony Brook University

Reaction Score
That's pretty weird, I always get people making comments if I wear any UConn gear. The comments are always about the basketball program.
Agreed. I live in Charlotte and if I wear a UConn shirt out for the day I'm guaranteed to start at least 2-3 conversations about it. Even if they didn't go to UConn themselves, lots of ppl have something to say (especially about basketball).

Reaction Score
Southern State Us boost their rankings a bit by having such low out of state vs in-state admissions rate. UConn will never benefit from that because of how small and close states are up here.

More space. Better big-time athletics doesn't hurt either.

Plus down south there's more loyalty to state schools. My wife went to UNC and it's basically assumed that if you're a smart kid in your school, you go to UNC. And if you aren't going there, you go to Duke if you have the money. I can see why, she graduated undergrad and law school from UNC with 0 debt working as a barista

Up here, the bright kids in a class have all sorts of options between the ivies, nescac schools, everything around Boston and NY. Plenty of smart kids go to UConn, but it isn't an assumption like it is down south.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure there's other factors too.
1000x this^

Originally from CT and graduated UConn undergrad and Rutgers (I know, I know) grad school. Now I live in NC and the perception of state schools down here vs up north is stark.

Most reasonable people would agree that UConn and Rutgers are generally good schools but I've always felt they are still viewed as more of a backup plan if you're an elite student. Down south, getting into UNC gets treated like going to an Ivy and even going to NC St or UGA is celebrated as very impressive. The academic culture is just way different.

Reaction Score
1000x this^

Originally from CT and graduated UConn undergrad and Rutgers (I know, I know) grad school. Now I live in NC and the perception of state schools down here vs up north is stark.

Most reasonable people would agree that UConn and Rutgers are generally good schools but I've always felt they are still viewed as more of a backup plan if you're an elite student. Down south, getting into UNC gets treated like going to an Ivy and even going to NC St or UGA is celebrated as very impressive. The academic culture is just way different.
The perception of UConn has changed significantly over the years. Our middle-to-upper middle class Fairfield County town used to publish statistics on every graduate of the high school and their college apps (rank, GPA, test scores, where they applied and whether they were accepted). If you ignored the little problem with privacy (no names on it but if your kid was a senior you could accurately guess a fair number of members based on the data), it was extremely helpful to look at the prior few years in getting a sense of where to apply in the traditional reach, target and safety model. When we moved here nearly 30 years ago getting into UConn was almost a given for the top 1/2 of the class (maybe even a bit below that). By the time they stopped publishing the report sometime last decade, a student had to be in the top quarter or so of the class to get into Storrs and, if they got in at all, many in the second quartile were getting offers for the regional campuses.

The other big change was at the top of the class. For the first 15 years or so we almost never saw a top 10 kid going to UConn. In the later years of the report it was common to see one or two go to Storrs and there have been recent years where that included the valedictorian or salutatorian.

UConn 2000 was a big success. When we first started looking in CT I was working in MA and my wife was working near Hartford, so our home search was concentrated on the northern towns along I-84. On one ride we stumbled across the campus. We were horrified. Other than Gampel, which was pretty new, the rest of the campus had that "the boys are coming back from war so we'll throw up a bunch of brick buildings" look. Worst of all, it looked like very little had been done to improve it since then. With that model in your head, the current campus is almost unrecognizable. The facilities are excellent and the qualifications of the student body have followed suit. I didn't go to UConn (nor did anyone in my family), but if I did I'd be happy that the perceived value of my degree has increased commensurate with the perception of the school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk , I'm guessing you've probably heard about this already. Scary stuff. I hope your daughter (and you and your wife) aren't too freaked out about it. I'm am guessing they will increase their package-screening procedures.

Yes, she texted us last night. She has friends and our friends have a daughter her age in the apartment/dorms across the street from the incident. Other friends were in classes near there around when it happened. Everyone is fine. We didn't freak out and she didn't seem to either, but she was in her apartment when it happened.

It's quite an odd story as details unfold. The pelican case didn't have explosives and wasn't a bomb, just something under extreme pressure it seems. A manifesto was included railing against AI, Virtual Reality, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg and criticizing the relationship between academic institutions and the developers of virtual reality. The VR club meets in that building and the package was addressed to them. It was not mailed. I think that's why MIT and Harvard both reacted quite quickly to this.

To stay on point, Northeastern came in at #44, and somewhat shockingly had an acceptance rate of 6.79% for this class. That is really low. BC was 16%, NYU 12%. I think that's an outlier driven by the fact that they admitted way too many kids in my daughter's 2021 class. Covid clearly caused a lot of missed guesses about enrollment. They are still struggling to house these kids at Northeastern, which is how my daughter landed one of the nicest "university" apartments I've ever seen as NEU booked it to provide extra housing. This after she spent last year at the Sheraton Copley. Boston Student Housing | LightView | Boston, MA

Reaction Score
The perception of UConn has changed significantly over the years. Our middle-to-upper middle class Fairfield County town used to publish statistics on every graduate of the high school and their college apps (rank, GPA, test scores, where they applied and whether they were accepted). If you ignored the little problem with privacy (no names on it but if your kid was a senior you could accurately guess a fair number of members based on the data), it was extremely helpful to look at the prior few years in getting a sense of where to apply in the traditional reach, target and safety model. When we moved here nearly 30 years ago getting into UConn was almost a given for the top 1/2 of the class (maybe even a bit below that). By the time they stopped publishing the report sometime last decade, a student had to be in the top quarter or so of the class to get into Storrs and, if they got in at all, many in the second quartile were getting offers for the regional campuses.

The other big change was at the top of the class. For the first 15 years or so we almost never saw a top 10 kid going to UConn. In the later years of the report it was common to see one or two go to Storrs and there have been recent years where that included the valedictorian or salutatorian.

UConn 2000 was a big success. When we first started looking in CT I was working in MA and my wife was working near Hartford, so our home search was concentrated on the northern towns along I-84. On one ride we stumbled across the campus. We were horrified. Other than Gampel, which was pretty new, the rest of the campus had that "the boys are coming back from war so we'll throw up a bunch of brick buildings" look. Worst of all, it looked like very little had been done to improve it since then. With that model in your head, the current campus is almost unrecognizable. The facilities are excellent and the qualifications of the student body have followed suit. I didn't go to UConn (nor did anyone in my family), but if I did I'd be happy that the perceived value of my degree has increased commensurate with the perception of the school.

That's great to hear! I entered UConn 2006 so by then lots of new buildings had been built (the new student union had just been finished) and it seemed the perception had already undergone significant change. The valedictorian of my class went to UConn so it was definitely seen as respectable by then.

Reaction Score
Our middle-to-upper middle class Fairfield County town used to publish statistics on every graduate of the high school and their college apps (rank, GPA, test scores, where they applied and whether they were accepted). If you ignored the little problem with privacy (no names on it but if your kid was a senior you could accurately guess a fair number of members based on the data), it was extremely helpful to look at the prior few years in getting a sense of where to apply in the traditional reach, target and safety model.
This is wild.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but a lot of these BIG 10 and SEC schools seem to have alumni networks that always always always look out for their own, and it feels like UConn doesn’t do a great job of building that type of thinking in our alumni base. Maybe it’s because those schools have 100 years of football and athletic traditions so there’s some sort of deeper connection with their alumni network, idk.

The most obvious one is Penn State. Their alumni are still obsessed with everything Penn State, but I don’t get that vibe from any UConn grads unless they’re also basketball fans. It’s kinda sad, I wish we had that type of culture.
Penn State alumni are absolutely fanatical. I kind of respect that about them. They are also very good at networking.

If our eventual new president wants to add something to his or her plate, building a better networking system would be a plus.

Reaction Score

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but a lot of these BIG 10 and SEC schools seem to have alumni networks that always always always look out for their own, and it feels like UConn doesn’t do a great job of building that type of thinking in our alumni base. Maybe it’s because those schools have 100 years of football and athletic traditions so there’s some sort of deeper connection with their alumni network, idk.

The most obvious one is Penn State. Their alumni are still obsessed with everything Penn State, but I don’t get that vibe from any UConn grads unless they’re also basketball fans. It’s kinda sad, I wish we had that type of culture.
I agree with what you’re saying about alumni energy but the culture at penn state is not something I’m wishing for.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don't think many people actually care that she killed spring weekend. Most people like the new logo--it was time for an update. I didn't like it at the time... I get it now.

Being unprepared for conference realignment was a disappointment. Biggest failure of the school in its history IMO.

Tom Kat was a very good president IMO. Too bad what went down with him and the Board.
The students cared about Spring Weekend, as it was one of the most famous college parties nationally. Outside of the student population / college demographic, you’re probably correct. But as a student during that time, it was a real bummer to see it go. Although I get why they did it…

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I attended in 1984 and I didn't think it was a dump even then. The dorms were boring U shaped brick things, but it's what most dorms look like. There were plenty of older attractive buildings (math science and the library not included). UMass was uglier and looked like post WWII...but in Moscow. The front lawn and lake are the nicest part of campus and are the same as they were. I suppose my degree is more "valuable" but not really because nobody cares where you went once you have been working.

Certainly nicer now in some ways, but not in others. It feels cramped to me. Some of the open space is gone, and the sight lines too often leave you with nothing but buildings. The new Rec Center, McHugh and Oak Hall were plonked down in what was open space, including the old mud volleyball courts.

Reaction Score
UConn 2000 was a big success. When we first started looking in CT I was working in MA and my wife was working near Hartford, so our home search was concentrated on the northern towns along I-84. On one ride we stumbled across the campus. We were horrified. Other than Gampel, which was pretty new, the rest of the campus had that "the boys are coming back from war so we'll throw up a bunch of brick buildings" look. Worst of all, it looked like very little had been done to improve it since then. With that model in your head, the current campus is almost unrecognizable.
Fact, WW II's conclusion and returning GIs prompted UConn to throw up the bunch of bare bones square brick buildings to accomodate GI Fund-ed enrollment growth. Then, CT's Legislature and taxpayers allocated minimal capital for new construction and proper maintenance at times leading up to UConn 2000. The 1990 Dream Season culminated with UConn's 1999 national championship helped a LOT. 77-74!

Reaction Score
In the 80's and 90's it wasn't as nice as it is now, especially if you drove you through. When I went to basketball camp there in the 80's there was a lot of trampled grass and boring buildings. During my college years in the 90's it was slightly better. To see the nicer parts and the traditional buildings, you needed to walk through the middle of campus back then. However, I always thought the view from 195 over Mirror Lake was pretty nice.

When Herbst arrived she demanded attention to the details. Grass needed to flourish, paint needed to be fresh and litter needed to be picked up. I liked that about her.

Reaction Score
I attended in 1984 and I didn't think it was a dump even then. The dorms were boring U shaped brick things, but it's what most dorms look like. There were plenty of older attractive buildings (math science and the library not included). UMass was uglier and looked like post WWII...but in Moscow. The front lawn and lake are the nicest part of campus and are the same as they were. I suppose my degree is more "valuable" but not really because nobody cares where you went once you have been working.

Certainly nicer now in some ways, but not in others. It feels cramped to me. Some of the open space is gone, and the sight lines too often leave you with nothing but buildings. The new Rec Center, McHugh and Oak Hall were plonked down in what was open space, including the old mud volleyball courts.
UMass is the ugliest campus I've seen.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The students cared about Spring Weekend, as it was one of the most famous college parties nationally. Outside of the student population / college demographic, you’re probably correct. But as a student during that time, it was a real bummer to see it go. Although I get why they did it…
I doubt my liver has recovered to this day from spring weekend. Still, it was a great time. Max Creek playing in the south campus squad, baby bottle beer chugging contest in the quad, off-campus pig roasts and kegs everywhere. Good times! (At least I think so, some of the details are a little fuzzy.)

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Can confirm the spring weekend crackdown, while understandable now, sucked at the time

It was literally worse than a regular weekend. By senior year kids would plan to visit friends at different schools that weekend

Reaction Score
1000x this^

Its simply due to the fact that we have so many elite private schools up here in the northeast. Other regions were mostly founded with "land-grant" public schools as the backbone of their higher education hierarchy.

SUNY, UMass, UConn, Rutgers, UMaine, UVM, UNH, URI are always going to be seen a second class schools in the northeast/New england. Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm okay with the value of my degree and relative low debt

Reaction Score
Its simply due to the fact that we have so many elite private schools up here in the northeast. Other regions were mostly founded with "land-grant" public schools as the backbone of their higher education hierarchy.

SUNY, UMass, UConn, Rutgers, UMaine, UVM, UNH, URI are always going to be seen a second class schools in the northeast/New england. Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm okay with the value of my degree and relative low debt
There is truth to that for sure, but a balance that needs to be found. One thing that northeastern higher ed culture has created is the assumption that all private schools are inherently better than public schools so you end up in situations where kids are going deep into debt to go to Quinnipiac instead of UConn or UHart instead of ECSU etc. and those schools are not better

Reaction Score
FYI only

UConn Alumni Mentoring Program

UConn Career Development Site - School/Major/Target Career info & Mentoring Network links

Alumni Networks (UConn contacts, city group contacts listed) - UConn Foundation

UConn can and should continue building and enhancing career services, career networking, alumni networking, etc, yet each have improved in the last decade. For those interested, possibilities appear to exist.
Thanks for sharing these. Just signed up to be an alumni mentor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is truth to that for sure, but a balance that needs to be found. One thing that northeastern higher ed culture has created is the assumption that all private schools are inherently better than public schools so you end up in situations where kids are going deep into debt to go to Quinnipiac instead of UConn or UHart instead of ECSU etc. and those schools are not better

And that part of the paradigm is starting to crumble. It was as much as status symbol as it was an educational advantage. Now the cost for the symbol is greater than the perceived prestige from it. Sure, the Ivies are elite and there are more good private schools in the northeast than the rest of the country combined, but there are plenty of private schools whose education is run of the mill too. A little weeding out of average private schools and focus on the regional publics and state flag ships is a good thing for middle class families.

Reaction Score
UMass is the ugliest campus I've seen.
UMess is a thing of beauty compared with Grambling. The latter a deep slave state public university, historically and likely still massively under funded. Even compared with other under funded HBCUs, Grambling's campus is sad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom