OT: - US Women's Volleyball Gold Medal Match can give us the win in Gold Medals over China. SPOILER | The Boneyard

OT: US Women's Volleyball Gold Medal Match can give us the win in Gold Medals over China. SPOILER

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lets go ladies. But I think Brazil is favored?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Brazil is probably a slight favorite but it just depends on who plays better.

Wrote this in the other thread:
This Gold Medal puts us in a first place tie with China for 38 Gold medals. It seems the last event (Womens Volleyball) with US vs Brazil can break the tie. The game is on USA at 12:30 EST.
There's also a US boxer, Keyshawn Davis, fighting for gold at 1:15 a.m. ET. But he's facing a very tough opponent he's never beaten before.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok. US takes set 1 25-21. :D

Edit 1.

US takes set 2 25-20 :D:D

Lets go Golden Girls

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Update on other medals up for grabs:

US boxer Keyshawn Davis lost his gold medal bout.
A Chinese boxer is up next and could win a gold.
After that another US boxer (Richard Torrez Jr) is going for gold in the last bout of the Olympics.

Lots of moving parts on this one.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

After that another US boxer (Richard Torrez Jr) is going for gold in the last bout of the Olympics.

Oh boy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Are you talking about the women's boxing match. GBR vs China? Watching now on CNBC. Seems GBR is way ahead after 2 rounds

Plebe

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the women's boxing match. GBR vs China? Watching now on CNBC. Seems GBR is way ahead after 2 rounds
Yes I just switched over. Apparently the British fighter won.

I haven't checked to see if there are any other sports with medals up for grabs. Give me a minute.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Okay. A quick scan shows pending gold medal contests in men's water polo (Greece vs. Serbia) and women's handball (ROC vs. France), in addition to the boxing match (USA vs. Uzbekistan). So it looks like the US clinched the gold medal lead?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Okay I'm on this train till the last stop. Boxing match on CNBC. I love that Torrez chose Beethoven's Midnight Sonata as his ring entrance music!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Great write-up on the gold medal win by volleyballmag:

Nice studio interview by NBC:

Reaction Score
Just for the heck of it, during the Olympics, I like to rank the medal performances
by scoring as in a dual track meet, i.e. 5, 3 and 1 for gold, silver, and bronze respectively.

By this measure China was leading for much of the Olympics, but in the final totals the top 10 are:

USA . . . . . . 351
China . . . . . 304
Russia . . . . 207
UK . . . . . . . 195
Japan. . . . . 194
Australia. . . 128
Italy . . . . . . 100
Netherlands 100
Germany . . . 99
France . . . . . 97

One final fun fact: In men's track (not field) Norway won twice as many gold medals as the USA.

Reaction Score
This was my favorite team event and team during the Olympic games. I don't think they get anywhere near the same coverage as the women basketball team but their storyline is "better" having never won a gold medal as good of a program as the US has had for such a long time.

Plebe

Reaction Score
One final fun fact: In men's track (not field) Norway won twice as many gold medals as the USA.
In terms of gold medals, it was a historically poor performance by US men on the track -- the first time in the modern Olympics, except for the 1980 boycott, that no US man won individual gold in track.

— Trayvon Bromell, after establishing himself as the man to beat in 100m, was a mysterious dud in Tokyo. Failed to advance from his semifinal, and ran a poor opening leg of the ill-fated 4x100 relay.

— Grant Holloway, a heavy favorite in the 110m hurdles, got out to a big lead but somehow lost his momentum mid-race, and settled for silver.

— Noah Lyles, considered a slight favorite in the 200m, settled for bronze.

— Michael Norman and Michael Cherry, in what was considered a fairly open 400m field, finished 4th and 5th.

— Rai Benjamin, in his much-anticipated showdown with Karsten Warholm, came up just short of gold in the 400mH despite smashing the former WR.

I don't believe that any of the US men were thought to have a good chance at gold in races longer than 400m.

Then we have the latest chapter in the seemingly unending saga of the snakebitten 4x100 relay passes. The 4x400 team gained a measure of redemption, with Rai Benjamin dropping the hammer in a fantastic anchor leg.

The US men still won more individual sprint medals (4 silver, 1 bronze) than any other country. And it should be noted that this was a young team, consisting mostly of Olympic rookies in their early to mid-20s. And 17-year-old Erriyon Knighton has an extremely promising future.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom