US U17 & U20’s | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US U17 & U20’s

Reaction Score
Quatar owned the first half. They could have had two or three goals.

It turned around in the second half. The USA, not could, should have had three goals.

Not the performance anyone wanted. I know every team in the tourney is young making the inconsistency in the performances drastic and unpredictable. So that gives them some hope.

Reaction Score
Haven't watched a game. Anyone standing out on our squad? Has Uly Llanez played?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Still can’t believe Weah isn’t even on the the 40 man roster. Is there rule written somewhere that says he can’t play in both cups?

Is it really that important to get Paul Arriola minutes who better be a benchwarmer at best by 2022.
Already explained.

Reaction Score
Haven't watched a game. Anyone standing out on our squad? Has Uly Llanez played?
I've only watched bits and pieces of the three games, when I could. Had it streaming on my iPhone and would watch a few minutes here and there while at work... between meetings. As Palatine referenced, it has been pretty inconsistent. Against Qatar they just looked fatigued, mostly. Against Nigeria they looked very sharp and pacey. Against Ukraine they looked up and down. At times showed great movement and other times thye left their back exposed. They like to play with possession and build. It is refreshing to see actual forward passes from the midfield, as opposed to the customary Michael Bradley back pass philosophy.

As for who has stood out... Weah has had flashes all tournament. Soto was the man verse Nigeria, Mendez has looked good at times, and meh other times. Both Keepers have looked good. Scott in the first two matches (the 2 goals conceded v. Ukraine were not on him, poor defending), and Ochoa v Qatar (that was his only start of the 3 matches).

Llanez subbed on v Qatar and was fine in his 30 minutes of run. I believe those were the only minutes he played so far.

Reaction Score
Well considering nothing is acceptable to you, about the best your gonna get.

Sweet maybe Beerholder will start Steffen at Center Forward and we’ll get to watch you defend it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sweet maybe Beerholder will start Steffen at Center Forward and we’ll get to watch you defend it.
Not defending anything, just stating facts. Least I don't whine all the time like a little beatch.

Reaction Score
That was no fluke. They played a good game against a good opponent. Some of the one-on-one, on the ball defending was outstanding. And they were ahead, fell behind, tied it up and won. Very resilient. Almost put it away late. Never stopped attacking. Good stuff.

Reaction Score
That was a legit win, wow. The ball movement, the off the ball movement, Soto’s ability to finish and Weah’s ability to see the game and create were all very good.... this is a talented group... and they did it with Mendez and Durkin not playing - 2 regular starters- due to YC accumulation.

They play Ecuador in the quarters on Saturday, who finished 3rd in their group (behind Italy and japan, ahead of Mexico). Should be a good match, but it is a winnable game for the US (they’re all winnable st this point... and just as easily, losable). Should they win they’ll get the winner of Korea v Senegal.

Reaction Score
They’re all winnable st this point... and just as easily

I did not see the game; but like what I read about. Just have to keep in mind at U20, the kids can and will win a game in amazing fashion and then suddenly forget to how to even trap and ball and play a horrible game. Just look at Soto's first goal, the pass and run were amazing. Then in open space 1v1 with teh keppes, he almost trips over his own feet dribbling the ball; but, still somehow holds his balance long enough to be able to hook his foot around the ball to make a sweet curling shot into the low far corner. Could have gone either way. The glory and insanity of youth.

Reaction Score
Tab Ramos should get a shot with a bigger team after this.

Reaction Score
This group shows so much comfort and ability on the ball in tight spaces. Never have seen this from a US side before. Very impressive

I agree. Their passing ability and communication are very good and have been evidence since the Ukraine game. I've seen many more successful give and goes from this group than you see from the older USMNT.

As mentioned, the youngsters can be inconsistent from minute to minute. But it appears less so as the tourney progresses.

Reaction Score
Not to keep harping on it, but the level of club ball these guys are at and starting to break thru @ makes all the difference. We will have field players with the ability to contribute to Champions League finalist-quality teams soon.

With that said, Chris Gloster got owned by #10 on France. That kid is gonna be a STAR real soon

Reaction Score
Mali bests Argentina after Penalties in the final game of the day. The QF’s are set:

Colombia v Ukraine and Italy v Mali in one half on Friday, June 7th
US v Ecuador and Korea v Senegal in the other half on Saturday, June 8th.

Reaction Score
Not to keep harping on it, but the level of club ball these guys are at and starting to break thru @ makes all the difference. We will have field players with the ability to contribute to Champions League finalist-quality teams soon.

With that said, Chris Gloster got owned by #10 on France. That kid is gonna be a STAR real soon

Was Paxton really as good as people say he has been?

Reaction Score
Was Paxton really as good as people say he has been?
He did look very solid to me. He is a skilled defender and seems to be in the right place when it starts to get dangerous.

Reaction Score

I agree but in the last 25 minutes or so Gloster defended amazingly. had some great last ditch tackles and stopped Diaby 1v1 a few times. Diaby is also probably PSG’s highest rated youngster at the moment, at the very least highest rated attacking youngster.

Read an article yesterday saying that Dortmund were seriously looking at Soto, and you can see why, kids movement is great. Honestly reminds me a lot of Sargent. Article also said some BuLi teams and a Champions League team were looking at Gloster as well. Hannover getting relegated may have been a blessing in disguise for these two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom