URI wins and covers as a favorite against BC | The Boneyard

URI wins and covers as a favorite against BC

Reaction Score
I was flipping through games the other night and saw Andy Enfield’s USC playing a road game at FGCU, his previous college. Got me thinking would UConn ever play a road game at URI. Obviously we are at another level from USC in terms of basketball prestige, but Hurley strikes me as the kind of guy who might throw a bone

Reaction Score
I was flipping through games the other night and saw Andy Enfield’s USC playing a road game at FGCU, his previous college. Got me thinking would UConn ever play a road game at URI. Obviously we are at another level from USC in terms of basketball prestige, but Hurley strikes me as the kind of guy who might throw a bone
I can’t recall us going on the road to an A-Ten opponent since the brief period when UMass was good. But would I mind 2 for 1s with A-Ten opponents so we get pre-season games against teams that are neither serious tourney contenders nor total junk? No, I would not. I would love more games like that, even if sometimes it means we get on a bus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the LIU game was clearly a giving to Derek Kellogg as a respected peer coach ... and their wives are friends.

But heck ... should not have BEAT him by 50+ points.

Reaction Score
Winning a basketball game is not the most important thing, but I was glad they got the win. Cox has had a rough couple days following the death of former player Ryan Preston. Dan recruited him to URI and coached him for a year, and Eric, Tripp, and Tyrese also knew him.

It will take some time before Dan would schedule to coach against Rhody. That falls in the same category as scheduling ASU.

Reaction Score
I watched the first 30 minutes of the game before the UConn game.

Cox has an interesting team that has a good collection of what URI teams typically lack: scorers & shooters. Leggitt looks like he'll be a stud once he's an upper-classman, Sheppard can light it up and El-Amin looks like a perfect fit: he's not the top dog at URI, so it allows him to be smarter with his shot selection.

Pair those three guards with the the Mitchell twins dominating the paint defensively and doing enough offensively to keep the space, you have a nice balance there. Very deep team too: nine players averaging 11+ minutes.

I'm rooting for them, as URI (and the Bonnies) are often the teams I root for in the A-10.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can’t recall us going on the road to an A-Ten opponent since the brief period when UMass was good. But would I mind 2 for 1s with A-Ten opponents so we get pre-season games against teams that are neither serious tourney contenders nor total junk? No, I would not. I would love more games like that, even if sometimes it means we get on a bus.

Do college basketball teams do a lot of 2 for 1's? This isn't football.

Playing a regional road team from the a A10 really helps the computer rankings if we win and is a reasonable road trip for fans. Losing on the road to a Top 50 team like URI doesn't hurt that much either. We don't want a schedule of just Top 25 and >200 ranked opponents. There is a risk to scheduling middle of the pack P5 teams that they may suck one year and go 3-15 or something in conference, which turns a good OOC game into a bad one. A team like URI is unlikely to ever get pummeled in league play after we play them. They will always be around the bubble.

The only reason not to do it is that Rhode Island is pretty much a wasteland for recruiting. Fordham, St. Joe's or GW are better road trips from that perspective, but those programs all suck so URI is probably a better overall option.

Reaction Score
URI has had a solid program for a long time. They deserve respect and I wouldn't mind playing them. For a while back in the 60s they were our main rival, even more so than UMess.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
URI has had a solid program for a long time. They deserve respect and I wouldn't mind playing them. For a while back in the 60s they were our main rival, even more so than UMess.
We had our last meaningful game in the 1979 ECAC Final with a trip to the NCAA's at stake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom