Updates on the Gampel Roof repairs? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Updates on the Gampel Roof repairs?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
glad they did it now, the money might not be available in the future....imagine having to look at that old ceiling for another ten years....
No.

No,

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
they should for the frosh... but we know the recruits wouldnt be able to make it

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just introducing the team and running a few drills would be wonderful—with or without the men.

Agreed, and let whoever wants to come, come. 50 or 5,000. It will still be first night, even if it's on a smaller scale. Whoever chooses to atttend will enjoy the evening.

Reaction Score
I'm just a WBB fan, especially UCONN! I really liked the old-style 1st Night with just the women and they would practice for an hour then scrimmage for 30-40 minutes and Geno would talk to the fans and answer questions for about 30 minutes more! No craziness just a great night!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm just a WBB fan, especially UCONN! I really liked the old-style 1st Night with just the women and they would practice for an hour then scrimmage for 30-40 minutes and Geno would talk to the fans and answer questions for about 30 minutes more! No craziness just a great night!

Agreed. You don't need a lot of "pomp" and circumstance to promote the women, they can sell themselves by themselves. That said, I do understand the reasoning behind featuring both teams on first night. Both teams use first night as a recruiting tool (aide) that has been very successful in getting potential recruits to visit the campus. Some recruits have been know to attend first night (with their parents) on their own dime.

Knowing this, programs around the country have been rolling-out the red carpet for their visiting recruits in more and more elaborate fashion. Not only are these visits important, they’re also expensive and difficult to organize. One coach called prospects’ weekend visits “an organizational nightmare."

First night is the biggest "draw" or activity the basketball programs sponsor for recruits all year. It has become almost legendary. It's almost like "homecoming" in football, only at the beginning of the season instead of the end. Many former team members return to the campus every year to share and participate in this special night.

It's cost effective (and less time consuming) to have both teams participate in the night's activities, than for each to have their own separate show. The attending fans also want to see the new players on both teams. Don't forget, the men's and women's team do support each other. It's a UConn family thing. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Reaction Score

A modern and well maintained parquet would be a treat. Hard to maintain and keep level through the years though. But a homecourt advantage nonetheless.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Agreed. You don't need a lot of "pomp" and circumstance to promote the women., they sell themselves, by themselves. I must admit, I don't really follow the men's team that much. I follow the football team more than I do the men's BB team. They are a lot more interesting.
totally disagree

Reaction Score
A modern and well maintained parquet would be a treat. Hard to maintain and keep level through the years though. But a homecourt advantage nonetheless.

Why is parquet a home court advantage? Because the home team knows where the dead spots are?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Why is parquet a home court advantage? Because the home team knows where the dead spots are?
Correct. An advantage that the Celtics have held for years. Plus since the parquet is oddly and intermittently placed and resurfaced over the years it develops dips, and seams as well as the dead spots. A nightmare for visiting teams, but an expense few teams have been willing to assume.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct. An advantage that the Celtics have held for years. Plus since the parquet is oddly and intermittently placed and resurfaced over the years it develops dips, and seams as well as the dead spots. A nightmare for visiting teams, but an expensive few teams have been willing to assume.

I'm a bit surprised the NBA allows that advantage............

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised the NBA allows that advantage..
Man, that floor has been a part of the Celtic heritage almost since the clubs beginning. It has of course been updated many times, but its advantage remains. It may be helpful to the Celtics, but it's part of the charm, the mystique, and the leagues history. Not even the most ardent Celtic haters would want it replaced. It has long been grandfathered into any rule changes the league makes. Besides, any victory by an opposing team to them, especially in the playoffs, becomes doubly sweet.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is it "just about ready" or is it "Ready for college basketball season"?

6 of one, 30 of the other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom