UNC Ruling: No NCAA Academic Rules Violation | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UNC Ruling: No NCAA Academic Rules Violation

Reaction Score
I'm no lawyer but from the beginning the threat of litigation was mentioned in numerous articles on the scandal....some folks here think I am an apologist for UNC when in reality I was just repeating the position that Jay Bilas (that noted UNC fan) and a number of other authoritative voices had taken..I would be very upset with the school administrators involved in this stupid and embarrassing episode if I were a UNC student or graduate.
It has really cheapened the reputation of one of our great public universities...
I'm in the same boat you are, and I felt similarly about the Penn State case, though that one to me was a lot more black and white in terms of being a criminal case versus anything related to athletics. In this case it feels a lot like UNC really went through a lot of trouble 20 years ago to make sure they had their alibi all lined up if the day ever came when their dirty little secret was outed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm no lawyer but from the beginning the threat of litigation was mentioned in numerous articles on the scandal....some folks here think I am an apologist for UNC when in reality I was just repeating the position that Jay Bilas (that noted UNC fan) and a number of other authoritative voices had taken..I would be very upset with the school administrators involved in this stupid and embarrassing episode if I were a UNC student or graduate. It has really cheapened the reputation of one of our great public universities...
Well, Jay Bilas is actually a lawyer and it is not UNC I though you were an apologist for, that would be the NCAA.
The NCAA had Memphis vacate wins because Derick Rose had a friend take his SATs.
Without a backbone, clearly the NCAA has none, when hundreds of students cheat at UNC the NCAA says: "well everyone had an equal opportunity to cheat therefore it's not cheating"=NCAA situational ethics. In one case the NCAA cares about the admission standards at Memphis and in another NCAA says we don't care about the "quality" of the curriculum at UNC for athletes. Clearly for the NCAA Memphis is not UNC. I wonder if UCONN would be closer to UNC or closer to Memphis in the eyes of the NCAA?
Derrick Rose Cheated, But Will Never Pay The Price

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat you are, and I felt similarly about the Penn State case, though that one to me was a lot more black and white in terms of being a criminal case versus anything related to athletics. In this case it feels a lot like UNC really went through a lot of trouble 20 years ago to make sure they had their alibi all lined up if the day ever came when their dirty little secret was outed.

It's possible that was their plan but I tend to think that it was orchestrated by those in the specific department along with several of the athletic tutors.........many non athletes took these classes..........I'm sure the word was out that they were an easy way to earn 3-4 credits and help your cumulative average to boot..........did the basketball coaches know? I have no idea.........there is early documentation stating that Roy Williams asked those in charge of helping the team with their studies not to recommend those classes..........that doesn't mean he didn't know but there was very little proof..........

Reaction Score
Well, Jay Bilas is actually a lawyer and it is not UNC I though you were an apologist for, that would be the NCAA.
The NCAA had Memphis vacate wins because Derick Rose had a friend take his SATs.
Without a backbone, clearly the NCAA has none, when hundreds of students cheat at UNC the NCAA says: "well everyone had an equal opportunity to cheat therefore it's not cheating"=NCAA situational ethics. In one case the NCAA cares about the admission standards at Memphis and in another NCAA says we don't care about the "quality" of the curriculum at UNC for athletes. Clearly for the NCAA Memphis is not UNC. I wonder if UCONN would be closer to UNC or closer to Memphis in the eyes of the NCAA?
Derrick Rose Cheated, But Will Never Pay The Price

again, you fail to differentiate between a high school athlete taking SAT's as part of the recruiting process and the quality of classes for athletes already matriculating..........they both are bad but the SAT situation is clearly within the NCAA's purview, the classes not so much

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
again, you fail to differentiate between a high school athlete taking SAT's as part of the recruiting process and the quality of classes for athletes already matriculating.....they both are bad but the SAT situation is clearly within the NCAA's purview, the classes not so much
Both are within the NCAA purview. The NCAA has a clearing house process for HS athletes to be eligible for the verification of SAT or ACT scores. . You can be accepted to a school and still not be eligible to play a sport. The NCAA has compliance officers at each university that ensures the NCAA minutia from the amount of hours a team practices or how much money a athletes can be given when acting as a host for a recruit & the 2.0 GPA eligibility.

Reaction Score
Both are within the NCAA purview. The NCAA has a clearing house process for HS athletes to be eligible for the verification of SAT or ACT scores. . You can be accepted to a school and still not be eligible to play a sport. The NCAA has compliance officers at each university that ensures the NCAA minutia from the amount of hours a team practices or how much money a athletes can be given when acting as a host for a recruit & the 2.0 GPA eligibility.

Yes, I agree that the NCAA is the final arbiter when it comes to recruiting and even regarding the passing GPA's for college athletes but not for the quality of individual college courses..........if Katie Lou Samuelson signs up for a course on paper airplane building and the university has determined that this course is worth four credits and KLS only has to come to class one day a month to fly her airplanes, the NCAA can't do a damn thing about it..............that's it UNCLE!!!!!!!!!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
With apologies to JS for treading on his territory, law is often a matter of interpretation. My particular pet peeve is the Supreme Court interpreting that corporations are individuals, an oxymoron that has had atrocious consequences, but I digress.

No one debates that what happened at UNC was academic fraud. If only student athletes took the courses most likely anyone, even the NCAA, would interpret the purpose of academic fraud as eligibility fraud, making athletes eligible who otherwise would not be. Since some students took the "classes" who were not athletes, this now makes it a matter of interpretation whether the eligibility fraud was the intent. Several lines of evidence suggest that eligibility fraud was still the intent, with the nonathletes providing cover. There certainly is precedence for the NCAA sanctioning eligibility fraud, but from the evidence the NCAA interpreted that this was not conclusively the purpose of the academic fraud.

A matter of interpretation. Whether the interpretation by the NCAA was correct or what was the motivation for the interpretation is left for folks to ponder, or not. Yet had the NCAA interpreted from the evidence that eligibility fraud was the intent of the academic fraud, then that would have opened the door for NCAA sanctions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom