UNC Ruling: No NCAA Academic Rules Violation | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UNC Ruling: No NCAA Academic Rules Violation

Reaction Score
You forgot Syracuse's decade long triple scandal involving illegal drug, illegal payments and academic fraud. They fit right in with the rest of them.

unfortunately the teams your listing are just the ones that got caught.............most people in the know will tell you that these same activities run rampant in all of the major conferences..........there are very, very few clean programs.............if you want to find them look at the bottom of the standings...............

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
unfortunately the teams your listing are just the ones that got caught...most people in the know will tell you that these same activities run rampant in all of the major conferences.....there are very, very few clean programs...if you want to find them look at the bottom of the standings.....
Yeah, I'm calling BS. The 'but everyone does it' defense didn't work with your Mom when you were in middle school. It still doesn't work now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No.

UNC has been allowed by the NCAA to get away with cheating. Both should be reminded of their despicable behavior at every opportunity.

Im sure NC State and Duke fans will remind them.... perhaps UVA fans as well..... not sure about other fanbases. As for me....well..... I'll boo the UNC women when they come to Durham for a few seconds......... my vocal chords arent built for long term booing though. I'll sneer at them a few times ........ thats about the best I can do in those terms.

However.... if you want me to toss a few eggs at my neighbor's UNC mailbox.... or spit on some UNC merchandise when I'm in the store.......... then I may be of service :cool::p:D;):rolleyes:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
don't worry Kentucky's day is coming...again.....oh and South Carolina's too if Martin's former assistant coach spills the beans..

If he did anything while here he didn't have much to show for it - 1 NCAAT appearance since 2005.

Reaction Score
If he did anything while here he didn't have much to show for it - 1 NCAAT appearance since 2005.

my understanding is he was charged for actions at both South Carolina and it his current school................

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
ACC = All Cheaters Conference. You've got UNC and its fake classes, Louisville and its hookers, the U need I say more, Free Shoes University where they protect rapist quarterbacks among other transgressions, and ND where they're willing to sacrifice a kid's life to videotape practice in high winds. That's one hell of a conference!
Whatever happened to that Miami scandal where players received money, whores & dope? The NCAA screwed up the investigation & then just seemed to drop it. Man, talk about taking a dive!

CL82

Reaction Score

14.02 Definitions and Applications.
14.02.1 Academic Misconduct—Post-Enrollment
. All institutional staff members and student-athletes are expected to act with honesty and integrity in all academic matters.

I respectfully suggest that giving grades based upon what is needed for an athlete to remain eligibility for a no show, one paper course in which the only submission is not graded by an education and not even read by a secretary prior to grading is a pretty fair indicator of institutional staff not acting "with honesty and integrity in all academic matters."

FWIW quite a few of the sections in the by-laws regarding academics have been modified since the NCAA has become aware of the UNC issue. I'd be curious to see just how they read back when UNC embarked on this two decade long course of academic fraud.

Last edited:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

When someone frames an argument by stating that you must accept his premise in order to have an intelligent opinion, then he is by extension calling anyone who disagrees with him unintelligent.
To quote the author:
"That’s the second thing you must understand to have an intelligent opinion about this stuff."
So here's my unintelligent response. The NCAA has punished many of it's members for far lesser offenses and didn't need to cite specific bylaws other than lack of institutional controls. They chose not to punish UNC because, 1. It's UNC and 2. they are cowards.
While there is merit to the idea that the NCAA does not belong in the business of judging academic standards, what UNC did is so egregious, so undermines the the ideals of college athletics that it requires punishment. It is unfortunately not surprising that the NCAA took the easy way out by framing it as a legal issue, essentially saying they had no jurisdiction in the matter. Perhaps that is so, but it never stopped them before.

Reaction Score
When someone frames an argument by stating that you must accept his premise in order to have an intelligent opinion, then he is by extension calling anyone who disagrees with him unintelligent.
To quote the author:
"That’s the second thing you must understand to have an intelligent opinion about this stuff."
So here's my unintelligent response. The NCAA has punished many of it's members for far lesser offenses and didn't need to cite specific bylaws other than lack of institutional controls. They chose not to punish UNC because, 1. It's UNC and 2. they are cowards.
While there is merit to the idea that the NCAA does not belong in the business of judging academic standards, what UNC did is so egregious, so undermines the the ideals of college athletics that it requires punishment. It is unfortunately not surprising that the NCAA took the easy way out by framing it as a legal issue, essentially saying they had no jurisdiction in the matter. Perhaps that is so, but it never stopped them before.

the Penn State debacle was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to the NCAA treading in areas of limited or no jurisdiction...........you see they have no problem going after recruiting violations because that is clearly a part of their mission.............unless they try to push into academic areas (which they won't because schools don't want them to) you will likely see other similar cases come to light in which they will defer to the educational organizations that oversee college activities

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
the Penn State debacle was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to the NCAA treading in areas of limited or no jurisdiction......you see they have no problem going after recruiting violations because that is clearly a part of their mission...unless they try to push into academic areas (which they won't because schools don't want them to) you will likely see other similar cases come to light in which they will defer to the educational organizations that oversee college activities
The NCAA cannot have it both ways. The NCAA sets a minimum GPA to determine athletic eligibility. Why set a standard at all, if NCAA is going to turn right around and not care how the academic institution achieves the standard?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NCAA cannot have it both ways. The NCAA sets a minimum GPA to determine athletic eligibility. Why set a standard at all if you are going to turn right around and not care the academic institution achieves the standard?

they may set the number but they don't make judgments about individual class quality.........that academic oversight
is the purview of accreditation organizations

CL82

Reaction Score
they may set the number but they don't make judgments about individual class quality....that academic oversight
14.02.1 Academic Misconduct—Post-Enrollment. All institutional staff members and student-athletes are expected to act with honesty and integrity in all academic matters.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
the Penn State debacle was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to the NCAA treading in areas of limited or no jurisdiction......you see they have no problem going after recruiting violations because that is clearly a part of their mission...unless they try to push into academic areas (which they won't because schools don't want them to) you will likely see other similar cases come to light in which they will defer to the educational organizations that oversee college activities

The NCAA should not have intervened in the Sandusky/Penn State scandal. That was a criminal felony and was a matter for the police and a court of law. If the Penn State administration was passively or actively involved that too is for the courts.
But the core mission of the NCAA is to promote college athletes, and their most important role in doing that is to make and enforce the rules that create a level playing field for all member institutions. For nearly 20 years UNC broke faith with every other (non cheating) member by giving their student athletes an advantage. And they did on an institutional level. They conspired to create fake classes, and they carefully crafted a defense by allowing a few non athletes to attend the bogus courses. Clearly they knew what they were doing was wrong and just as clearly they set up a defense for when/if they got caught.

Doesn't this offend you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
they may set the number but they don't make judgments about individual class quality....that academic oversight
The minimum GPA set by the NCAA is both a qualitative and quantitative measure because the same number it applied for all institutions and has nothing to do with the accreditation organizations. It does not matter if a student is majoring in Bio Chemistry or basket weaving the same GPA is required to be athletically eligible.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
14.02.1 Academic Misconduct—Post-Enrollment. All institutional staff members and student-athletes are expected to act with honesty and integrity in all academic matters.
Like +1000000

Reaction Score
The minimum GPA set by the NCAA is both a qualitative and quantitative measure because the same number it applied for all institutions and has nothing to do with the accreditation organizations. It does not matter if a student is majoring in Bio Chemistry or basket weaving the same GPA is required to be athletically eligible.

that's exactly my point............they have no controlling interest over the quality of courses or course requirements.......it's very clear.........they would have gotten killed in court, that's why they gave in..............do you really think that UNC basketball is powerful enough to put the NCAA in such an embarrassing position?

If you do then you're letting your emotions get in the way of common sense...............the lawyers on that committee saw what they were up against legally and threw in the towel...........it's as simple as that...........if it had been any school with a good legal budget they would have done the same thing..............believe it or not.................

Reaction Score
that's exactly my point..they have no controlling interest over the quality of courses or course requirements..it's very clear....they would have gotten killed in court, that's why they gave in....do you really think that UNC basketball is powerful enough to put the NCAA in such an embarrassing position?

If you do then you're letting your emotions get in the way of common sense.....the lawyers on that committee saw what they were up against legally and threw in the towel......it's as simple as that......if it had been any school with a good legal budget they would have done the same thing....believe it or not.......
Why didn't UConn fight the sanctions a few years ago?

Reaction Score
Why didn't UConn fight the sanctions a few years ago?

Perhaps they didn't have grounds to defend the sanctions as UNC did...................sometimes schools would rather take a lesser penalty as opposed to risking a harsher penalty if they try and fight it.............in UNC's case, they knew they had a winnable case, if not through the NCAA then through the courts, can't speak to the UConn situation............

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
North Carolina embarrassed the NCAA (and itself) in academic fraud case

Carolina even changed its argument for the NCAA. When the school was in front of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which accredits it as an actual university, it declared that no-show, no-professor, no-work classes were wrong.

“UNC reported to its accreditor that what occurred for nearly 18 years on its campus was academic fraud,” the NCAA report stated. ” … Specifically, UNC admitted [it] demonstrated that, ‘the academic fraud was long-standing.'”

Now, though, the classes weren’t fraud. They were fine. The NCAA was astounded. The Committee on Infractions asked how this was possible.

“UNC [told] the panel that it was merely a ‘typo’ or oversight,” the NCAA wrote.

Reaction Score
Perhaps they didn't have grounds to defend the sanctions as UNC did....sometimes schools would rather take a lesser penalty as opposed to risking a harsher penalty if they try and fight it...in UNC's case, they knew they had a winnable case, if not through the NCAA then through the courts, can't speak to the UConn situation..
I didn't even think you could go to court over something like this. I mean wouldn't a court just say hey UNC you signed up to the NCAA and agreed to its infractions process, and if you don't like it you can leave whenever you like. Being a part of the NCAA isn't mandatory.

Reaction Score
North Carolina embarrassed the NCAA (and itself) in academic fraud case

Carolina even changed its argument for the NCAA. When the school was in front of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which accredits it as an actual university, it declared that no-show, no-professor, no-work classes were wrong.

“UNC reported to its accreditor that what occurred for nearly 18 years on its campus was academic fraud,” the NCAA report stated. ” … Specifically, UNC admitted [it] demonstrated that, ‘the academic fraud was long-standing.'”

Now, though, the classes weren’t fraud. They were fine. The NCAA was astounded. The Committee on Infractions asked how this was possible.

“UNC [told] the panel that it was merely a ‘typo’ or oversight,” the NCAA wrote.
I didn't even think you could go to court over something like this. I mean wouldn't a court just say hey UNC you signed up to the NCAA and agreed to its infractions process, and if you don't like it you can leave whenever you like. Being a part of the NCAA isn't mandatory.

I'm no lawyer but from the beginning the threat of litigation was mentioned in numerous articles on the scandal.........some folks here think I am an apologist for UNC when in reality I was just repeating the position that Jay Bilas (that noted UNC fan) and a number of other authoritative voices had taken............I would be very upset with the school administrators involved in this stupid and embarrassing episode if I were a UNC student or graduate.
It has really cheapened the reputation of one of our great public universities.............

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'm no lawyer but from the beginning the threat of litigation was mentioned in numerous articles on the scandal....some folks here think I am an apologist for UNC when in reality I was just repeating the position that Jay Bilas (that noted UNC fan) and a number of other authoritative voices had taken..I would be very upset with the school administrators involved in this stupid and embarrassing episode if I were a UNC student or graduate.
It has really cheapened the reputation of one of our great public universities...

Count me among those who thought you were an apologist for UNC. It did seem as though you were pleased by the outcome. Thanks for the clarification.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom