UNC Ruling: No NCAA Academic Rules Violation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UNC Ruling: No NCAA Academic Rules Violation

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The ridiculously disproportionate numbers are listed below, from UNC's own interval investiagtion.

The NCAA's message is, basically, if you allow academic fraud for thousands of athletes but also do the same for a few non-athletes, it is not an impermissible benefit, even if athletes - who only make up maybe five percent of the student body overall - constitute 60/70/80/whatever percentage of the beneficiaries of said fraud.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 27
Reaction Score
Yes UNC really lawyered up..... at the NCAAs in August they really pushed back hard..... I hate UNC for their sham of an academic program ( remember Vince Carter, i think, who bragged that he never went to class)

However I somewhat understand why the athletic program is not legally culpable.

Reaction Score
I think the UNC situation speaks to more about the sham that is college athletics in general. The reality is that the overwhelming majority of big time athletic programs funnel their basketball and football players into easy classes. The Universities don’t care about their education they just want to continue to find away to keep their prized money making basketball and football players eligible.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well now that all this academic mumbo-jumbo is out of the way, Sylvia can finally get back to recruiting her some players!

Reaction Score
Duke's acceptance rate was 9.2% .............exactly how many members of the basketball team would be accepted under any other circumstances? Regardless of the school, everybody on campus knows which student athletes are their to learn and which ones are there just to survive academically so they can play basketball.............frankly, many major sport student athletes would fail out of college after one semester if they weren't steered to easy classes and had daily tutorial assistance...............

Reaction Score
I think the UNC situation speaks to more about the sham that is college athletics in general. The reality is that the overwhelming majority of big time athletic programs funnel their basketball and football players into easy classes. The Universities don’t care about their education they just want to continue to find away to keep their prized money making basketball and football players eligible.

UNC is the tip of the iceberg of academic fraud. I know for a fact assistant coaches writing papers for athletes, bogus correspondence courses, and credit for very questionable internships. And there is a lot more the NCAA is closing their eyes to.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Duke's acceptance rate was 9.2% ...exactly how many members of the basketball team would be accepted under any other circumstances?
Almost all.
Let's not single out the Duke basketball team and assume that the entire team was admitted below the general Duke admissions standards.

Reaction Score
Almost all.
Let's not single out the Duke basketball team and assume that the entire team was admitted below the general Duke admissions standards.

Agreed, later I think I said major sport athletes/students.............I know of three high school kids (2 girls,1 boy) with 4.4-4.7 honors GPA's, almost perfect SAT's,all sorts of student and real world extracurricular activities and they didn't get a sniff from Duke............not even early decision in two cases

Reaction Score
UNC is the tip of the iceberg of academic fraud. I know for a fact assistant coaches writing papers for athletes, bogus correspondence courses, and credit for very questionable internships. And there is a lot more the NCAA is closing their eyes to.

the online classes are the new easy way to cheat......getting big in athletic circles...................

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
What I find truly amazing about this thread is that ANYONE is surprised by the ruling (non-ruling). 100% predictable

JS

Reaction Score
Charlie, you've been so voluble in defense of this ruling that I'm curious.

Putting aside the rather stupefying standard applied -- phony course must be exclusively/primarily/whatever available to athletes -- and all the other stuff on the "legality" front, do you agree with the following from the SI article you cited?

UNC absolutely should be ashamed of what happened. North Carolina was not a victim of some media smear campaign. Widespread academic fraud occurred at the university for many years. This goes against the very purpose of any school’s existence. It is more offensive than most transgressions that bring heavy NCAA sanctions.
'Cause while looking at the sum total of your output in the thread -- including some of the everybody does it flavor and the seeming equation of steering toward "easy" courses with fraudulent ones -- I don't get much sense of any personal disgust at what happened.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well now that all this academic mumbo-jumbo is out of the way, Sylvia can finally get back to recruiting her some players!
Yeah, I have to say that's a bright spot of sorts. It seemed like they were setting her up to be the fall guy.

Reaction Score
Charlie, you've been so voluble in defense of this ruling that I'm curious.

Putting aside the rather stupefying standard applied -- phony course must be exclusively/primarily/whatever available to athletes -- and all the other stuff on the "legality" front, do you agree with the following from the SI article you cited?

UNC absolutely should be ashamed of what happened. North Carolina was not a victim of some media smear campaign. Widespread academic fraud occurred at the university for many years. This goes against the very purpose of any school’s existence. It is more offensive than most transgressions that bring heavy NCAA sanctions.
'Cause while looking at the sum total of your output in the thread -- including some of the everybody does it flavor and the seeming equation of steering toward "easy" courses with fraudulent ones -- I don't get much sense of any personal disgust at what happened.

I believe that athletes are being taken advantage of by athletic departments and school administrators who are willing to do practically anything to field a winning team..........almost every college including Ivy League schools force admissions departments to admit clearly inferior students just because they can run faster or jump higher............how can these student athletes be expected to get a decent education and spend hours daily practicing their sport when they are offered mostly easy classes in subjects that won't help them in the real world and with extensive assistance from tutors just to get a passing grade..............the NCAA's job has been designed by the schools to look the other way when it comes to the education of the athletes...........it's job is to try to keep all of the cheating, bribing etc that goes on in recruiting as quiet as possible and to spank any school that steps over the line............we need a whole new system where athletes get a cut of the corporate profits, just like the school and the overpaid coaches..............schools should guarantee that student athletes can return to the classroom at any time to earn a proper degree once the shine of the spotlight is on the next big star...........

Reaction Score
As I said in the MBB thread, the NCAA looked for a way not to do anything and they found it. It is like a criminal getting away with it on a technicality.

Opposing fans need to boo the absolute **** out of UNC at every game for the entire 60 minutes. Make it a living hell for the B******ds in Blue.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I have to say that's a bright spot of sorts. It seemed like they were setting her up to be the fall guy.

I thought the same thing and it really ****ed me off .

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Opposing fans need to boo the absolute **** out of UNC at every game for the entire 60 minutes. Make it a living hell for the B******ds in Blue.

Wow.... aren't you a bit harsh

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
ACC = All Cheaters Conference. You've got UNC and its fake classes, Louisville and its hookers, the U need I say more, Free Shoes University where they protect rapist quarterbacks among other transgressions, and ND where they're willing to sacrifice a kid's life to videotape practice in high winds. That's one hell of a conference!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC = All Cheaters Conference. You've got UNC and its fake classes, Louisville and its hookers, the U need I say more, Free Shoes University where they protect rapist quarterbacks among other transgressions, and ND where they're willing to sacrifice a kid's life to videotape practice in high winds. That's one hell of a conference!
You forgot Syracuse's decade long triple scandal involving illegal drug, illegal payments and academic fraud. They fit right in with the rest of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom