Un-cool songs you will still sing in the car | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Un-cool songs you will still sing in the car

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
ETA: Tough to believe you got a good sampling of Sirius if you only had it for a week. The Loft is my number one preset and many of the shows are free form, which is what I like most. Little Steven's Underground Garage (number three preset) also goes pretty deep.

I was specifically referring to the generic 70s station.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I rarely sing in the car. And when I do, it's usually to something you've never heard of.

I went to UConn in the 70s. The decade had some excellent music. But hardly any of it plays on terrestrial radio. Or on Sirius/XM for that matter (only had that for a week). Nor did much of the really interesting stuff make it to radio even back then, except for things like the King Biscuit Flower Hour or WNEW-FM, especially Scott Muni's "Things from England" show.

You guys would likely scoff at my vinyl collection. And I at yours.

Kansas, KISS, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Journey, Rush, Supertramp, Foreigner, Van Halen... all should've gone into musical history's dustbin 40 years ago, IMO.

So what is in your vinyl collection? I'm truly curious. Mine is gone now, but I had Led Zeppelin II, The Band, etc. From your out list, still a fan of Kansas, REO, ZZ Top, Journey and VH. Maybe some Rush. Hated Supertramp. Saw KISS in concert for the first time two years ago, just for kicks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was specifically referring to the generic 70s station.
No doubt. That is straight-up Cheez Whiz. But sometimes that's exactly what I want.

Come to think of it, my taste in cheese is a lot like my taste in music: There is very little that I don't like, but certainly a lot that I like better than others.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So what is in your vinyl collection? I'm truly curious. Mine is gone now, but I had Led Zeppelin II, The Band, etc. From your out list, still a fan of Kansas, REO, ZZ Top, Journey and VH. Maybe some Rush. Hated Supertramp. Saw KISS in concert for the first time two years ago, just for kicks.
For some reason I have always hated the bands with high-pitched male leads, so Rush, Kansas, Yes and Styx in particular were all exiled to the same island in my mind's ear.

I still have most of my vinyl, which includes every Led Zep and Band album, among many others.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

A lot of progressive stuff that had melody and hooks (I find Rush tedious), blues masters (not Clapton, actual black guys), early 70s glam, late 70s punk and one-offs of other artists in genres I don't typically like, but which I found excellent (e.g. Steve Forbert's "Alive on Arrival").

I probably have 40 CDs in my car at the moment (my ride incomprehensibly lacks an aux input). I think there are only five 70s CDs in that bunch: Physical Graffiti, Billion Dollar Babies, American Beauty and greatest hits compilations from Traffic and Steely Dan.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was all of ten years old when that song came out and I LOVED it, singing it at the top of my lungs throughout the house.

Then came "Heaven on the 7th Floor" and "Undercover Angel," with much the same reaction.

I think my parents started to try and have "the talk" with me after that, to explain why I shouldn't be singing these AM radio staples, but I don't think I grasped it for another few years.

I still remember my buddy's parents banning "The Joker" because of the "I really love your peaches, want to shake your tree" line. We were like "Wha...???"
But they didn't ban "Afternoon Delight"? :eek:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My teenage daughter has several versions of me singing Bohemian Rhapsody while driving.

Her friends love it.

Afternoon Delight and Pina Colada Song are good too.

I can definitely crush most of channel seven and eight on XM.

Electric Avenue? Rio? Done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I nail this line in the car: "Once upon a time there was light in my life, but now there's only love in the dark. Nothing I can say, a total eclipse of the heart."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then came "Heaven on the 7th Floor" and "Undercover Angel," with much the same reaction.

For the record: Ariel > Undercover Angel

Reaction Score
I'm a sucker for hard rock anthems:

Come On Feel the Noize (Quiet Riot)
I Love Rock & Roll (Joan Jett)
We're Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister)
There's Only One Way to Rock (Sammy Hagar)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Volume cranks when:

Tony Orlando and Dawn: "Knock Three Times" and/or "Candida".
Ramones: "Blitzkrieg Bop"

Duran Duran: "Hungry Like The Wolf"
Robert Palmer: "Addicted To Love"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hi there. Where can I find the latest release by Bread?

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Sweet Caroline, of course but also Build Me Up Butter Cup. I am pretty sure I have joined in on Tony Orlando and Dawn's Knock Three Times and Take a Letter Maria. I'm not proud of it.

On a semi-related note, isn't it amazing how songs you kind of scoffed at as kid are the same ones that you now turn up the volume for?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom