UMass Post Mortem | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UMass Post Mortem

Reaction Score
I fully expected Dotton-Carter to turn to the camera at the end of the game, reach towards his neck, and pull up a mask to reveal that it was, in fact, Randy Edsall coaching this game.

The horrible playcalling, player apathy, bad play making, etc., etc. all stunk of Randy.
wp-PPYR-YorkTownSquare-726-re.jpg

Reaction Score
Just watched Iowa fans storm the field after beating # 5 Penn State
UMass fans stormed the field beating #130 UConn
What is wrong with this picture?

Reaction Score
First step for the new coach is go to the portal and get a quarterback. Maybe 2. It is clear that if Krajewski is the answer you are asking the wrong question. P isn‘t great but compared to everybody else he looks like Tom Brady. I’ve said since early on our tight ends are not good. The next time one of them makes a block will be the first.

Reaction Score
Uconn came out as if they didn't want to be there. That's a recipe for a loss.

oh this is common for a lot of UConn teams in recent years. But the AD is off limits so whatever.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I don't feel sorry for them and it's for the same reason you do feel sorry for them. Most of these kids have been the best players on their team throughout their development.

They play with little heart or trying to go above and beyond. There is no on field leader on offense or defense. Hate to say it but these players don't hold themself or their teammates accountable for the on field performance. Once they get punched in the face they fold. And there's little sympathy or empathy for that character trait.
The crazy thing is since halftime against Army they HAVE played with heart. That's why we were feeling good about things coming into this game, and that although they had a shot to beat their two previous opponents, THIS game, AT HOME, against an equal or aguably lesser opponent was very much winnable. I think Spanos, two other coaches and two players being isolated really shook them, unfortunately. There was a possibility they could have had increased confidence coming into this game as result of their improved play and wanting win one for Spanos and the rest, but apparently this covid isolation had an oppostite effect and took the wind out of their sails.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolute turd of a game by all the coaches and players save Carter. He plays hard and aggressive.

Offensive line without two starters wasn't good. Didn't have many expectations for Brown at LT but Walker again is the weakest link. Really don't want him to play again.

Steven Krajewski was worse. Both INT's were brutal. His decision to keep the ball on 1st and goal when score was 20-10 was bad too.

WR's and TE's are LOL bad at trying to catch passes.

Coaching staff failed to coach today. Bummer.

UConn has lost to two of the five worst FBS programs in two consecutive weeks. Tough to do but UConn made it look easy.

I wouldn't argue with anyone saying Gresh is worst announcer in college football.

I'm not making excuses but the last TD by UMass was aided by an egregious no call on hold on Webb on the edge which would have drasitically changed that drive.

We lost the game because of Steven Krajewski.

Gresh is terrible.

The team horribly missed Spanos. Needed someone on the sideline kicking butts.

The defense literally seemed to fall asleep for spells.

Reaction Score
Stream of consciousness... probably poorly organized and hard to follow. :p

UConn once again couldn't stop anything in the A-gap. After getting gashed the first series, the ends started crashing hard. The next time that UMass went to Wise at QB, he had easy reads to march straight down field. The defense is, for lack of a better term, mentally frail. The first sign of adversity they put their heads down. For a team who's best NFL prospect is an interior defensive lineman, they get beaten up the middle way too much. Fortt probably would've helped, it also likely would've helped if the defensive coaches were all there.

Offense was a s* show. Walker at center continues to struggle, while Jones at LT directly led to the fumble by Krajewski and a few others. For all the complaints in the chat about the zone handoffs and screen passes... those are absolutely a part of Mazzone's offense (and were frequent parts of the game plan against Vandy & Wyoming) and and part of how he tries to get the ball to playmakers in space. The differences were line play and the QB not being a threat to run the ball on the zone read. The decisions on the two interceptions were atrocious, at the end of the half the QB has to have the situational awareness to recognize the worst thing is a turnover. Eating the ball and letting the clock run out after the sack is fine there. I thought the call at the goal line was fantastic, the throw wasn't great but it was catchable, and it's a play that has to be made.

The lack of emotion was a really good call out. The only people that seemed to have any emotion on the sidelines were Keating and Kerr trying to get the fans into it on third down. This is where Spanos was sorely missed... he might've been able to provide the spark to keep things from falling off the rails.

Reaction Score
This is a hard pill to swallow. We really never should be losing to UMass considering the budget and talent discrepancy.
Talent discrepancy????? What team are you watching?? UConn doesn’t have any D1 caliber players. I think CCSU would be a coin flip as to who would win.

Reaction Score
Umass fans storming the field after beating UConn is the best thing I’ve seen in a long time

Reaction Score
Mitchell dropping a pick 6 that would have put us up 17-7 in the second Q was big. It was a very catchable ball. Steve K throwing a terrible interception late in the half and then hurting himself making the tackle impacted the second half as his mobility was noticeably reduced. The tight end dropping a TD pass. Turner with a horrible decision to return the kick in the 4th Q. Steve K with his second INT that if the receiver went up the sideline and the ball was thrown deep would have been nice. Steve really forced that throw. Bubble screen to Clercius on 2nd and one blown up killing a drive. Marion being flagged for a personal foul for protecting his QB and pulling a defender off him killing a drive. There were others but we made way too many mistakes and seemed to have no emotion. The first drive set the tone all day. Where did Brewton and Medlock go? Anyone know?

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
The crazy thing is since halftime against Army they HAVE played with heart. That's why we were feeling good about things coming into this game, and that although they had a shot to beat their two previous opponents, THIS game, AT HOME, against an equal or aguably lesser opponent was very much winnable. I think Spanos, two other coaches and two players being isolated really shook them, unfortunately. There was a possibility they could have had increased confidence coming into this game as result of their improved play and wanting win one for Spanos and the rest, but apparently this covid isolation had an oppostite effect and took the wind out of their sails.
I actually don't think it would have mattered where they played today, but someone pointed out I was incorrect in saying this was a home game for the Huskies. I stand corrected.

Reaction Score
I don't want a dollar of my taxes or any other CT residents tax dollars going to improve Rentschler Field
I am really fed up with people saying we need to invest in facilities.
The team on the field and lack of leadership by UConn does not warrant any more investment
I’m not sure you are feeling higher taxes because of UConn football. I am a CT resident and taxes are high but mostly for other services. Value, no. Just got beat by a school that spends about 1/10th on a program.

Reaction Score
So logic dictates that we are spending 10 times too much on our program if UMass and Holy Cross are beating us by double digits

Reaction Score
So logic dictates that we are spending 10 times too much on our program if UMass and Holy Cross are beating us by double digits
Yes the return on investment has been horrible in comparison. UConn has a better chance of succeeding or so I keep telling myself

Reaction Score
Uconn was once again bullied at the line of scrimmage. We are getting pushed around week after week. The problem is Uconn doesn;t push back.
All that time in the weight room... All those pictures of guys flexing their muscles...

Repeat after me: FCS, FCS, FCS

Reaction Score
If Tyler Phommachanh doesn’t play v Yale we are going to lose that game as well..
Don't expect that happening anytime soon this season. We need to figure out what to do with the guys we have that are healthy enough to play. Let's see what Micah Leon can do.... he always looked the part in practice, right?

Reaction Score
Today was a hot mess before the opening kick off. The Covid thing turned a bad situation into complete chaos. It's amazing the bus found its way to the Bay State.

As for Steven Krajewski, he was toast by halftime. He had taken a beating. He looked shell shocked out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom