UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMass-Lowell Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1.Liv still has trouble finishing
2.Paige is here and can play right now and what was most impressive today was how she played the passing lanes.
3. Anna is not O for America this year and had some nice passes again
4. Mir and play defense and had a beautiful touch pass. Good defender as well. She has a chance to make the rotation.
5. Christyn plays good D and rebounds and scores as an opportunist might do. Outside shooting still lacking.
6. Ervina did a lot of things well but looked rusty and Geno does not like players that foul.
7. We look like our offense needs work but our defense will lead to offense. Page really tried to get everybody a basket. She is already talking to Geno during breaks. She is his point guard and will be for 4 years.
8. Edwards works hard doesn't look lost and can give us some minutes in the paint.
9. Aubrey is still a game changer. Runs the court defense and rebounding. Passing better as well.
10. Nika seems to know the offense. Dribbled into trouble sometimes but I will need to see more. Great energy.
11. Paith can be a big body and can help if we have foul trouble. Under UConn tutelage, she will be a contributor down the line.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UMass-Lowell game:
  • The best thing about this game is that it finally happened despite starts and stops, positive Covid tests, player quarantines, etc. I will cherish every single game this season, hopefully right on through the Big Dance.
  • Good ball and player movement most of the game. This is one “pass happy” team, although at times, a little too pass happy.
  • After sitting out for 2 years, I was impressed with Evina’s game. She did a little bit of everything and demonstrated the poise and leadership UConn needs from her.
  • Aubrey and Mir are ferocious defenders. They may be more Pit Bull than Husky.
  • Wondering if UConn can maintain a 9-player rotation throughout the season?
  • It’s been a long wait, but let it be noted, “THE PAIGE BUECKERS ERA AT UCONN HAS BEGUN!” Nice stat-stuffer game for the rookie. 17 pts, 9 rb, 5 a, 5 st
  • Finally, I must ask if any of our illustrious Boneyarders are represented among the CARDBOARD CUTOUTS at Gampel?
Agree on most everything. They were at times too unselfish, hesitating just a little then passing when a good shot was there. I went into this game hoping Mir would show some potential to ultimately make this a good 9 player rotation, and left it thinking we are already there.

Other observations were how Paige handled the end of a period. Run the clock down, drive and score, looking like she had been doing that for years. A last second finisher that you can just hand the ball to for a score or pass is something we didn't really have last year, and apparently she has that role from the first game.

I liked the overplaying and some pressing on defense, although we had too many fouls of aggression at the same time. With what Mir showed if we are truly 9 deep I would like to see more of that and more fast breaks.

Some of the players like to get up and go, but Paige seems more inclined to bring it up at a more casual pace but Geno may try to get her to push it more. This teams passing in the open court should be a joy to watch if we can do it more often.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am glad that we got to a see a wide variety of player combinations and most seemed to work together well. Of course we can point out some negativity but I was impressed a lot more than I was disappointed (mainly because I wasn't disappointed).

Reaction Score
Great to finally see the team play. No doubt it was a glorified exhibition game although it goes in the books as a W. On the whole it looks like it will be a fun team to watch, with a lot of players that will contribute.

My impressions, with the understanding that this was one game against an over matched opponent:

After all the discussion as to whether/when Paige would start is over. She emphatically showed she deserved the start and will start every game she is healthy as long as she wears a UConn jersey.

It doesn't look like this will be a great 3 pt shooting team, but it's early so who knows. In general it looked like getting the ball into the post or penetrating for a short jumper or layup is what they are inclined to do.

Mir and Nika looked good.

Aubrey will have to fight for minutes with the depth we have.

Anna kind of got lost in the shuffle. She may be the designated 3 pt shooter via kick outs.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1. We still have the ability to go away in the third quarter.

2. CW still has the exasperating habit of slowing down the offense when she gets the ball at the head of the key. She stands there dribbling as if expecting the team to clear a lane for her. The notion of some that she can serve as PG if needed is hooey.

3. With about 3:50 to go in the 3rd for a moment it looked like Paige was going to put her arms up on defense. :)

4. Olivia looked so good for a half and then she couldn't hit the side of a barn.

5. Did you catch Paige's expression after a foul was called on her. She's got the DT thing; she never fouls.

6. Man, get Piath tuned up and she is a weapon!

7. A good number of outside shot opportunities were ignored, perhaps because that was the marching orders?

8. This is already Paige's team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I want to go back to the idea of a 9-player rotation, that’s heavy on long, quick guards & wings. UConn can press and trap teams all game long, and not worry about fatigue or foul trouble. Can’t wait to see how this team develops.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I would say 23 points better.
You better hope the defense gets a whole lot better or there will be a lot of boneyarders who won’t be happy with the results against teams like Louisville, S. Carolina, Stanford, Oregon, NC State to name a few.

Reaction Score
Bueckers was as advertised. Whoa. Edwards and Mclean are ready to contribute, as well. I don't know how long HCGA goes with a 9 player rotation, but I love the idea of suffocating pressure for forty minutes. He may have the horses now to NEVER take the foot off of the accelerator.

This is going to be fun. A lot of fun.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bueckers was as advertised. Whoa. Edwards and Mclean are ready to contribute, as well. I don't know how long HCGA goes with a 9 player rotation, but I love the idea of suffocating pressure for forty minutes. He may have the horses now to NEVER take the foot off of the accelerator.

This is going to be fun. A lot of fun.

Well. when we contract the rotation, maybe CW will get less minutes. I hate to be negative but I do not see the jump I expected.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The thing that stood out for me was the defensive intensity of all four of the freshmen who played significant minutes. That's something that Geno usually has to drive home again and again and again, but these kids have it from the get go.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mir and a tad underwhelmed by Nika, but she hadn't really practiced for several days. All four will be major contributors.

Disappointed Autumn didn't get into the game, but pleased Piath did.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Agree on most everything. They were at times too unselfish, hesitating just a little then passing when a good shot was there. I went into this game hoping Mir would show some potential to ultimately make this a good 9 player rotation, and left it thinking we are already there.

Other observations were how Paige handled the end of a period. Run the clock down, drive and score, looking like she had been doing that for years. A last second finisher that you can just hand the ball to for a score or pass is something we didn't really have last year, and apparently she has that role from the first game.

I liked the overplaying and some pressing on defense, although we had too many fouls of aggression at the same time. With what Mir showed if we are truly 9 deep I would like to see more of that and more fast breaks.

Some of the players like to get up and go, but Paige seems more inclined to bring it up at a more casual pace but Geno may try to get her to push it more. This teams passing in the open court should be a joy to watch if we can do it more often.

Paige's Hopkins team was a 40 minutes of run and press team, so she surely knows how to do it.

Reaction Score
not wanting to be a downer but:
18 turnovers against UMass Lowell????? Better be first game jitters.
Once again the other team played great free throw defense against Liv. She got bailed out of one miss by a UConn lane violation. As Geno said, "I don't know why the other team doesn't foul her all the time." I kept hoping she could move from a 50% shooter to at least 60% or maybe 65%. Nope. Remember when we all said Charlie Collier's great games were against weak teams. But she did shoot 90%, averaged over 30 points, etc. Liv missed 4 or 5 shots on one possession. The type of sequence when Geno says she was building up her rebound numbers.
If Paige cannot overcome bias against a freshman AA, I don't see an AA on the floor today.
UMass Lowell got a number of wide open shots, defense just broke down.
Seemed like a lot of dribbling at times.
Some long stretches with no points.
UMass Lowell is a team that past UConn teams would score 110 points on. This team would not have won us free wings if we were allowed in the stands.
I think we need to see big improvement on Tuesday, and more on Thursday. But I will settle for just seeing us play.

but with all that, they all played better than I could, even Chassion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Edwards is a beast, to be sure, but if she started she would foul out every game. She is much more effective right now as Olivia’s backup, particularly with Aubrey and Mir on the team.
Paige is already the best player on this team; how she plays will determine how successful they are. Having a nine-person rotation will help her tremendously.
Edwards was a freshman playing in her 1st game and was overly aggressive. Liv is a Junior in her second year of starting and should not have been driving a struggle bus against UMASS-Lowell. I’ll take the aggression every time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey its ONE game, but they look way better than a year ago, in terms of size, passing ,defense and depth.
I know the announcers want to to minimize expectations regarding Bueckers but that girl has played a lot of hoops. Has Maya Moore ability to see where the ball is going and gets there. Her passing is better than I have seen in a long time. Her passing hits her team mates in the head, and the ball does not stick in her hands. Really impressive debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom