UCTV Season Preview | The Boneyard

UCTV Season Preview

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was really intrigued by the comments from Grant Mengel who, as a UConn practice player, has a unique insight into the talent and development of the Huskies. His starting 5 of Paige, Christyn, Evina, Azzi & Aaliyah is something no one on the BY has suggested.

Yes, some of us have come up with the 4 guards he lists, and others have Aaliyah in the lineup, but always as a complement to either Liv or Dorka. After mixing it up in practice with the team, the fact that Mengel rates Aaliyah’s ability to play the post equal or better than Liv or Dorka is noteworthy.

Reaction Score
These guys are as addled as we are. Too bad UConn couldn't have included a female fan to offer a perspective. This is, after all, a women's team.
Only notable moment was the mention of Caroline Ducharme, a name that has rarely come up in any discussion. We know she's a quiet person, but how loud is her game?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I was really intrigued by the comments from Grant Mengel who, as a UConn practice player, has a unique insight into the talent and development of the Huskies. His starting 5 of Paige, Christyn, Evina, Azzi & Aaliyah is something no one on the BY has suggested.

Yes, some of us have come up with the 4 guards he lists, and others have Aaliyah in the lineup, but always as a complement to either Liv or Dorka. After mixing it up in practice with the team, the fact that Mengel rates Aaliyah’s ability to play the post equal or better than Liv or Dorka is noteworthy.
If this is correct then Evina’s game has taken a jump this season. That would make me really happy. She’s a good kid and her decision to come back and play for a national championship was surprisingly selfless in this day and age.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to see that they hardly mentioned Nika. I think that she may be the most effective defensive player on the team. Every time the opposition comes up the court, and meets Nika, the offense is affected in some way. I also think that she has a far better shot, and drive than she's shown, because she's more likely to pass than shoot. Her energy is off the charts, as well.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i found myself shaking my head through much of it ... these guys seem a lot less knowledgeable than many here in the BY; but, like here, they're entitled to their opinions

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
i found myself shaking my head through much of it ... these guys seem a lot less knowledgeable than many here in the BY; but, like here, they're entitled to their opinions
Unless some of us here on the BY are UConn practice players, at least one of the guys on the video is a lot more knowledgeable than the BY… ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if any of the seniors did not start. One or all three may be starters in name only, however.
Allow me to play the devil's advocate here............which would shock you more......any senior NOT starting, or Geno NOT starting his BEST 5 players, which may not include all of his seniors?

It's ALWAYS been my understanding that a coach, any coach has the duty and responsibility to the school and the team to start his 5 best players regardless of their academic classification. You ALWAYS start the 5 best players that give you the best chance to win. It's that way in ANY sport. I'll take what comes. In Geno I trust!!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unless some of us here on the BY are UConn practice players, at least one of the guys on the video is a lot more knowledgeable than the BY… ;)
He's seeing things first hand with his own eyes......everyday. All we know right now is what someone tells us, or what we read. Kinda like Will Rogers. It will all come out in the wash on November 7. We'll see who the 5 starters are that Geno sends out to start the FHS exhibition. Those will probably be the same 5 that start the Arkansas game. During this game, we can judge for ourselves who can play, and who deserves what.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well she'll get Grant at the next practice! Maybe. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Nika and Caroline (the Chip squad) out there together.
You raise an interesting point. Whatever Grant said on camera, he will have to own it during practice……

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see that they hardly mentioned Nika. I think that she may be the most effective defensive player on the team. Every time the opposition comes up the court, and meets Nika, the offense is affected in some way. I also think that she has a far better shot, and drive than she's shown, because she's more likely to pass than shoot. Her energy is off the charts, as well.
Defense isn’t sexy so it isn’t article worthy. Nika will get her minutes and may start a game or two if Geno wants her to ‘face guard’ an opposing player.

She is our secret weapon

Reaction Score
I noticed that both Nika and Aubrey got little mention. I generally had Nika and Aubrey clearly part of a top 9, and thought that Caroline had a chance to see some playing time as #10. Now it seems like this group has Caroline playing a more significant role. If Nika and Aubrey really are 9 & 10 in the pecking order, as proven performers, then for sure we should have a full 10 player rotation!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Somehow, I don't think the practice player would actually describe what's really being worked on, in practice. Unless. He no longer wants to be a part of the program.

I'm wandering it he was told what to suggest as to who the starters might be. If the topic came up.

Perhaps, some little Italian guy decided to have some fun with the BY by floating out yet another starter line up for the board.:)

Reaction Score
Somehow, I don't think the practice player would actually describe what's really being worked on, in practice. Unless. He no longer wants to be a part of the program.

I'm wandering it he was told what to suggest as to who the starters might be. If the topic came up.

Perhaps, some little Italian guy decided to have some fun with the BY by floating out yet another starter line up for the board.:)
You think the little Italian guy plays mind games?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom