UConn's Transfer Paradox | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's Transfer Paradox

Reaction Score
My theory; Liv has never had to fight for her minutes. This has prevented her from developing the aggressive playing style to succeed against top ranked opponents. Her passive playing style allowed her to still dominate lesser foes because of size and athleticism advantages. From what I have read, Dorka is bringing an Aliyah playing style with a strong 6'5" frame. Practice and scrimmage will have a different intensity in the post this year and Liv will have to learn to fight for her minutes. This has to affect her style of play on a daily basis. I expect that we will see a much more forceful Liv day in and day out. The forceful version of Liv will not be knocked off her shot as in days gone bye and she will dominate at the rim. This could be her breakout year where she plays at an AA level.
There are lots and lots of examples of players who didn’t have to fight for minutes who were incredibly aggressive. IMO, she is who she is, fighting for minutes or not.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that Liv, Aaliyah, and Dorka will all be vitally needed to cover the 4 and 5 slots for the simple reason that all of them are foul prone, and may not be able to play more than 20 to 25 minutes without getting into foul trouble. Caroline may also be part of this rotation for the same reason -- and I expect her to be foul prone also since she is not as agile as many of the players that she will be guarding. Hopefully it means that they can all play aggressively and not worry too much about fouling, since there are capable players who can sub in for them. So I think the minutes at the 4 and 5 positions will sort themselves out based on this consideration alone.

The player who may lose out on minutes is Aubrey, whose natural position is on the wing, but she needs a reliable jump shot if she is to play there. The same can be said of Mir.

I expect Paige, Azzi, and Nika to fill the minutes in the backcourt, and for Christyn and Evina to do the same for the wing with occasional help from Caroline / Aubrey / Mir.

I think Amari and Piath will probably get mop-up minutes, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure any “Best” lineup doesn’t include Edwards on the floor, but that’s why the games are played. Handling the depth on this team may be Geno’s greatest challenge since 2000-2001, when an incredibly deep team failed to win a championship. Having 10 starters is not always a Blessing, although it is much preferable to having only four.
Or even worse.....

Back in the early days of Johnny Orr coaching at Iowa State (Men's BB), he said once, "We have the BEST sixth man in all of the NCAA Division I. Too bad we don't have a starting FIVE!" I think it was December, 1982

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always though a paradox was what was needed when a single one couldn't handle your surgery.
Very nice! Had to read it twice though, as I was reading a bunch of definitions, but yours provided the best laugh of the day (so far)...

Thanks for your contribution to a sun-shiny day!

Reaction Score
Observation: Threads about post players talk about 2 or 3 posts playing together. Threads about perimeter players talk about 3 or even 4 guards on the floor together. Our wings are being squeezed from both directions.

Most of this talk is due to the wealth of talent and the size of the roster which isn't a bad thing but something will have to give.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how many UConn players that have transferred out have been really successful at their new teams..........I'd say UConn's incoming transfers have been more successful over all......
Really? In just the past 6 years the following transfers have all earned starting spots and/or more PT at their new schools than they ever saw at UConn: Boykin, Edwards, Ekmark, Butler, AEH, Gordon and Coombs. We could go further back to Banks, EDD and others, but it is almost a universal truth that UConn outbound transfers earn starting roles at their new schools. Of the 6 recent inbound transfers to UConn, only Evina broke into the starting lineup as a regular so far.

Reaction Score
My theory; Liv has never had to fight for her minutes. This has prevented her from developing the aggressive playing style to succeed against top ranked opponents. Her passive playing style allowed her to still dominate lesser foes because of size and athleticism advantages. From what I have read, Dorka is bringing an Aliyah playing style with a strong 6'5" frame. Practice and scrimmage will have a different intensity in the post this year and Liv will have to learn to fight for her minutes. This has to affect her style of play on a daily basis. I expect that we will see a much more forceful Liv day in and day out. The forceful version of Liv will not be knocked off her shot as in days gone bye and she will dominate at the rim. This could be her breakout year where she plays at an AA level.

ADDENDUM: And if she doesn't she will have a great seat for #12.
Yup. Totally agree. There was an article out there that I believe Liv told the freshmen she wishes it was this competitive when she was a freshman. She clearly hasn’t had a chance to go through that at practice or had any one really challenge her. Sometimes I think people think her ceiling is much higher than what it is or that she needs to be a bruiser when she’ll always be a finesse player. However I do think she has a tons of room for improvement and hopefully this year she is pushed to that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Those mini-profiles are all well thought out and spot on. And I agree, Evina has been the most effective transfer.

I also have high hopes for Dorka (literally). She seems to get it. You may be right about her role, it is intriguing to think of her and Olivia on the court together. Add Aaliyah and you can really go big if the situation calls for it. The options for different “looks” this year seem almost limitless.

If I were to use one word to collectively describe the rest, it would be “enigmatic”, although to be fair the unfortunate injuries that affected a couple of them are not hard to understand.

Not easy being a Husky, especially moving in from other programs that are far less demanding.
Evina has not been UCONN most effective transfer, Azura Stevens was and it's not even remotely close.
In fact Azura Stevens single season at UCONN statistically (especially on a per minute basis) qualifies as one of the best in UCONN history and notice I did not use the word "transfer" to qualify these accomplishments. Many UCONN fans are still salty at Azura for leaving UCONN before her eligibility was used up and this perspective severely mars her accomplishment. Those accomplishments include leading the team in rebounding (Offensive and total) , FG% , and blocked shots all while being 6th on the team in MPG. The real question UCONN fans should be asking themselves is how a player this productive could play an entire season while only averaging 20.4 MPG. A follow-up and more pointed question might be specific to the two ND games that season because ND had no matchup for Azura. In those two games against ND Azura was absolutely cookin (15 of 24) yet only managed to average 27 MPG.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah should be on the court as much as possible. Who knows what Dorka will or can contribute being a one and done player for the Huskies. Don't have high expectations given past history with transfers. As for ONO, she's a senior, and Geno should have little patience and a quick hook if she isn't getting it done. Aaliyah will be in Tokyo while Dorka and ONO will be home watching on TV.
AE can do everything Liv can do and much more, even at 2 inches shorter. She will also take the soph jump that most players take as well, particularly those that showed a lot in their freshman years.

I'll give Liv the edge as a rim protector and possibly a better passer, but other than that, AE is a much better player, even if she is shorter. Dorka and AE will start and play the meaningful minutes by tournament time, if not much sooner. As much as I like Liv, there is no doubting that you just can't trust her from game to game and I'm sure this wears heavily on GA. Like any coach, he wants players in the game that he feels confident in what they will bring each time up the court. Nothing worse than unpredictability.

I will still pull for Liv but just don't see how she plays in front of AE and/or Dorka in meaningful games.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah should be on the court as much as possible. Who knows what Dorka will or can contribute being a one and done player for the Huskies. Don't have high expectations given past history with transfers. As for ONO, she's a senior, and Geno should have little patience and a quick hook if she isn't getting it done. Aaliyah will be in Tokyo while Dorka and ONO will be home watching on TV.
Dorka can stay for two years. Everyone who was playing last year has the option of staying one more year.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I always though a paradox was what was needed when a single one couldn't handle your surgery.
paradox.jpg

Reaction Score
Evina has not been UCONN most effective transfer, Azura Stevens was and it's not even remotely close.
In fact Azura Stevens single season at UCONN statistically (especially on a per minute basis) qualifies as one of the best in UCONN history and notice I did not use the word "transfer" to qualify these accomplishments. Many UCONN fans are still salty at Azura for leaving UCONN before her eligibility was used up and this perspective severely mars her accomplishment. Those accomplishments include leading the team in rebounding (Offensive and total) , FG% , and blocked shots all while being 6th on the team in MPG. The real question UCONN fans should be asking themselves is how a player this productive could play an entire season while only averaging 20.4 MPG. A follow-up and more pointed question might be specific to the two ND games that season because ND had no matchup for Azura. In those two games against ND Azura was absolutely cookin (15 of 24) yet only managed to average 27 MPG.
She never wanted to play in the post, which is what Geno wanted more of, not less of.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She never wanted to play in the post, which is what Geno wanted more of, not less of.
That would have been fine if Z made her 3’s. But she went from a very respectable 36% shooter from the arc at Duke to a 17% shooter from the arc at UConn.

However, Z did have a good year. As I stated earlier, the problem with Z in the post was that Pheesa was not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We can go with your reckless speculation or we can go with what Azura told us about leaving and accurately predicted about fan X, Y, Zs like you.

"I wasn't unhappy there, at all," she said. "On campus, the support I received from them, and the things they were able to help me do as a player and a person, that's what I was looking for when I decided to go to UConn. And they did that for me. I know the fans think X, Y and Z about different things, but the bottom line is I wasn't unhappy. This was just my choice and my decision to just move on to a new adventure."

Reaction Score
Really? In just the past 6 years the following transfers have all earned starting spots and/or more PT at their new schools than they ever saw at UConn: Boykin, Edwards, Ekmark, Butler, AEH, Gordon and Coombs. We could go further back to Banks, EDD and others, but it is almost a universal truth that UConn outbound transfers earn starting roles at their new schools. Of the 6 recent inbound transfers to UConn, only Evina broke into the starting lineup as a regular so far.
the vast majority of UConn transfers may have found more playing time and some even started but I can't think of any that have attained anything close to greatness........UConn transfers havn't had much better luck but AZ was an important player who might have given even more if Geno had handled her better and Westbrook played a major role despite being slowed by injuries in last year's team's success.....

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Actually, Rita Williams was UConn’s most impactful transfer, though people might want to discount that because the intent always was for her to land at UConn. Hunter should get a nod. If only she were healthy she might have been legendary, though a healthy Hunter may have never left Duke.

Stevens may have been the most talented transfer that was healthy, though it is fair to note that the impact she brought was accompanied by a slide in Collier’s impact, and those two conditions were related.

As for least impactful that would be McCormick, a 6’5” solid center who transferred in and sat out a year here and then went back home to New Zealand without playing a game. No contest there.

In any case transfers in and out is not new, but their impact always has been uncertain … or paradoxical.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
the vast majority of UConn transfers may have found more playing time and some even started but I can't think of any that have attained anything close to greatness........UConn transfers havn't had much better luck but AZ was an important player who might have given even more if Geno had handled her better and Westbrook played a major role despite being slowed by injuries in last year's team's success.....
The goalposts just moved. Initially, we were talking about “successful” transfers. In my mind, if a player is sitting on the bench and they can go somewhere and start, that’s a successful transfer. “Greatness” is an entirely different standard, which in all honesty I would not attribute to any UConn transfer, inbound or outbound.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why are you using Aaliyah to take a slap at only Dorka & ONO?
Remix: "Aaliyah will be in Tokyo while Dorka and ONO will be home watching on TV along with every other current UCONN or NCAA WCBB player.
Where is the shame in that? If Dorka were Canadian would she be going to Tokyo? If Aaliyah were American would she still be going to Tokyo?
Think Use Your Head GIF by LeVar Burton

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why are you using Aaliyah to take a slap at only Dorka & ONO?
Remix: "Aaliyah will be in Tokyo while Dorka and ONO will be home watching on TV along with every other current UCONN or NCAA WCBB player.
Where is the shame in that? If Dorka were Canadian would she be going to Tokyo? If Aaliyah were American would she still be going to Tokyo?
Think Use Your Head GIF by LeVar Burton
For the record, Hungary was not one of the 12 WBB teams to qualify for the Olympics. Maybe Dorka could have petitioned for a spot on Nigeria’s team……..

Reaction Score
The goalposts just moved. Initially, we were talking about “successful” transfers. In my mind, if a player is sitting on the bench and they can go somewhere and start, that’s a successful transfer. “Greatness” is an entirely different standard, which in all honesty I would not attribute to any UConn transfer, inbound or outbound.
fair enough............let's make that a player who has had a major impact on her new team

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
"... particularly against teams like SC and Stanford"

What do you think of this against SC and Stanford? Playing Liv in the high post for her passing talents and intermediate range jumper while playing Dorka and Aaliyah at the low post for there aggressive rebounding and strong finishing at the basket. The three pointers can be provided by potentially the team's best 3pt shooters, Paige, Azzi, and Caroline, to spread the floor and open up the key for Dorka, Aaliyah, and Liv. It isn't as though these players will always be on the floor. It also depends on Azzi's and Caroline's reaction the college game's speed and contact. "E" and CW will see lots of playing time but when it is obvious there is a need to spread the floor and open up the key then bring in the snipers Paige, Azzi, and Caroline.
YES!!!!

As I was reading the posts, my mind was thinking "triple towers." Geno did it with Steph, Stewie and Kia. That trio was a defensive nightmare whenever Geno employed it.

Liv at the high post with Aaliyah and Dorka down low. Offensive nightmare and defensive nightmare for opponents. And given the three point shooters we have, to quote that famous shortstop - HOLY COW!!!!!!

Dude's analysis of our history with transfers is spot on. E has been by far the best so far. My gut tells me Dorka is going to be just fine.

Reaction Score
A bit unfair. If AE were not Canadian, she would most likely be at home watching tv as well. Not taking anything away from her obvious abilities, she just happens to be in the perfect situation for her Olympic dreams to come true. She may well go on to far surpass anything those two have done/will do but the Olympic thing is not a fair comparison Imo.

Reaction Score
nice write up. i have high hopes for Dorka. the flexibility to be 6'5 at both big positions and add outside shooting is amazing. And I don't doubt the fire/Euro toughness that was sort of cited by Geno in his summer presser. I think she brings a lot of things this team needs.
I guess Azura is an interesting comp as far being a talented big coming in already having done work in another conference. But looking at Stevens stats, geez averaging 14 points on 60 % shooting in 21 minutes is kind of insane.
I think Evina is so underrated and such a blessing for the team. I know Geno gets on Paige for playing too selfless, but I actually think E does too. It will be so interesting to see, as she is another year, full off season removed from her previous injuries, if she can play even better than last year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Damn!! I see why you have so many "Likes". This was an excellent read!! Masterful with the word play. Usually I skim through some of the longer posts. Not yours, my friend. While eating a bowl of Cheerios, I read everyone of your posts, especially this one. Great job.
Yeah, and his post game thread has become a “staple” here in the yard. I like to watch our games and be in the chat room at the same time. I enjoy reading the thoughts and concerns of those in the room. No one else in my family is a UConn fan, so I always watch the games alone. I like reading the observations of other UConn fans in real time.

Once the game is over, I head to OD‘s post game thread for further analysis from him and the rest of the regulars. Right after a game, it’s the place to be. I’ve already told him he’s created a monster.

With the Kibitzer’s unfortunate and untimely passing, I would like to see one of our regulars pick up Kib’s “Bad Ass of the game award“ baton and keep it going in his memory. The memorial Kibitzer Bad Ass of the game award.

It’s funny how a poster can start something like Kib did and it takes off. It too has become a staple in the yard. Maybe OD can incorporate the bad ass of the game into his post game analysis.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom