UConn's Transfer Paradox | The Boneyard

UConn's Transfer Paradox

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Transfers have been around since the dawn of college sports. in the last 10-15 seasons player transfers have become the norm. UConn WBB had its share of outbound transfers over the years. Almost all have found success at other programs, securing a starting role and additional PT. This makes sense. UConn recruits the top players in the country and, to the extent they learn the demands of UConn WBB, they are usually well prepared for their new schools.

As for inbound transfers, UConn joined the party later than many schools. However, the 2021-22 season will be the 7th consecutive season when the Huskies have fielded a team with at least one eligible transfer on the roster.

UConn fans are usually thrilled whenever a transfer announces their intention to matriculate to Storrs because it is often so unexpected, like finding a $20 bill in your couch. The paradox is that while outbound transfers often earn PT and even stardom at their new schools, most inbound transfers to UConn were already stars at their former school and, to succeed at UConn, they must adjust to a different, sometimes limited role.

In assessing the impact of inbound transfers to UConn, it is fair to say it’s been a mixed bag. Here is a brief review of the impact of 6 years of inbound transfers along with some comments on our newest transfer for 2021-22:

Natalie Butler – Nat was a big strong kid out of Georgetown. Injuries and a deep roster limited her contribution in 2015-16. The next season Nat played some important minutes off the bench in several big games, including wins over Baylor and SC, where she was able to use her size and strength to match up well against traditional Bigs. But against quicker teams, Nat often struggled to have an impact. Against MS St in the national semifinals, Nat played just 6 minutes, accumulating 1 PF and 2 TO’s. Nat transferred to George Mason as a grad transfer where she was a dominant Big in the CAA.

Batouly Camara – Touly was a physical kid who could rebound and had a nice shooting touch when she transferred to UConn out of KY. Unfortunately, we never had a chance to see what Touly could do at UConn, as she dealt with chronic knee problems throughout her four years as a Husky.

Azura Stevens – Z was certainly one of the more talented players to ever transfer to UConn, coming from Duke. To our disappointment, she only played the one season, but Z had a very nice year in 2017-18. However, Z’s season at UConn demonstrates the difficulty of optimizing the individual talents of several players into a team. At 6’6”, Z came to UConn with a reputation as a player who was effective in the paint, with the ability to step outside and knock down shots from the arc. Unfortunately, Z never found her 3-pt shot at UConn. That created a challenge for UConn in playing both Z & Pheesa at the same time. With Z inside, Pheesa spent more time on the perimeter, which moved perhaps the best low post scorer in the country away from the basket. It is not a coincidence that in her 3 seasons as a starter at UConn, the only season that Pheesa did not earn 1st Team AA honors was 2017-18.

Evelyn Adebayo – Evelyn was the first graduate transfer to UConn, coming to Storrs from Murray St where she led the team in scoring, rebounding and mpg. With a few months to learn the system at UConn, Evelyn was never able to adjust from being the “go to player” for Murray St to being an effective role player at UConn.

Evina Westbrook – E came to UConn from TN, where she was often criticized by Lady Vol fans, usually unfairly, as the once proud TN WBB program declined under HW. At UConn, after the disappointment of the NCAA denying her waiver request, along with 2 knee surgeries, it is hardly a stretch to suggest that E has been the most effective transfer ever to play for UConn WBB. E became a total team player at UConn. She is a super-Swiss Army knife that gives the Huskies whatever they need on any given night. E works so seamlessly with Paige that it appears as if they’ve been playing together for years. When Geno went with a 4-guard offense, E accepted the challenge of defending opposing forwards. As good as she is as a player, E’s greatest contribution may well be assuming a leadership role and “surrogate mom’ to an exuberant band of youngsters. Best of all, we get her for one more season.

Dorka Juhasz – Dorka is the 2nd grad transfer to come to UConn after graduating early at tOSU where she earned 1st Team All-Big Ten Honors as a player while also earning Academic All-Conference recognition. At 6’5” Dorka is a Big who can rebound, defend and score. Some BY’ers think that Dorka will challenge Liv for a starting role. For many reasons, I don’t. Rather than having either one or the other on the court, I believe that UConn’s best lineup, particularly against teams like SC and Stanford, might just have both Liv & Dorka on the floor together. That will likely depend on Dorka finding her 3-pt shooting stroke from her sophomore season, when she shot almost 40% from the arc, rather than the 20% clip she shot as a junior.

One thing is for sure. For UConn to win banner # 12 this coming season, our two grad transfers will both need to come up big.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe that UConn’s best lineup, particularly against teams like SC and Stanford, might just have both Liv & Dorka on the floor together.
That would probably mean that Aaliyah Edwards would not be on the court. I think Aaliyah will be a part of "UConn's best line up", whatever that may be.

Nice analysis 'dude!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That would probably mean that Aaliyah Edwards would not be on the court. I think Aaliyah will be a part of "UConn's best line up", whatever that may be.

Nice analysis 'dude!
More than any other season I can remember, this coming season Geno is going to have to make some really difficult decisions about lineups & PT.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Those mini-profiles are all well thought out and spot on. And I agree, Evina has been the most effective transfer.

I also have high hopes for Dorka (literally). She seems to get it. You may be right about her role, it is intriguing to think of her and Olivia on the court together. Add Aaliyah and you can really go big if the situation calls for it. The options for different “looks” this year seem almost limitless.

If I were to use one word to collectively describe the rest, it would be “enigmatic”, although to be fair the unfortunate injuries that affected a couple of them are not hard to understand.

Not easy being a Husky, especially moving in from other programs that are far less demanding.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure any “Best” lineup doesn’t include Edwards on the floor, but that’s why the games are played. Handling the depth on this team may be Geno’s greatest challenge since 2000-2001, when an incredibly deep team failed to win a championship. Having 10 starters is not always a Blessing, although it is much preferable to having only four.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Lineups are one thing and minutes are another. There are 80 minutes a game for the combined 4/5 roles. My thinking is that in the toughest games we will probably see each of Liv, Dorka, and Aaliyah on the court for between 25 to 30 minutes each. Fouls or injuries will necessitate changes to my plans. In the conference games we will see Amari get about 10 minutes and Piath (when healthy) getting some garbage time.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah should be on the court as much as possible. Who knows what Dorka will or can contribute being a one and done player for the Huskies. Don't have high expectations given past history with transfers. As for ONO, she's a senior, and Geno should have little patience and a quick hook if she isn't getting it done. Aaliyah will be in Tokyo while Dorka and ONO will be home watching on TV.

CL82

Reaction Score
Aaliyah should be on the court as much as possible. Who knows what Dorka will or can contribute being a one and done player for the Huskies. Don't have high expectations given past history with transfers. As for ONO, she's a senior, and Geno should have little patience and a quick hook if she isn't getting it done. Aaliyah will be in Tokyo while Dorka and ONO will be home watching on TV.
Liv should have a huge year this year. She's talented enough. Will that happen? [Shrugs]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aaliyah played great as a freshman and has a huge upside. But a couple data points provide conflicting images. Aaliyah had some really solid minutes defensively against SC’s Boston in UConn’s upset win. On the other hand, Aaliyah struggled some against the smaller, more athletic AZ frontcourt.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paradox is a funny word to use. Implies the process cannot be explained even after the fact. I think how we handle transfers is just right. Only pick players who can potentially fill a void and hope for the best.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Dorka Juhasz – Dorka is the 2nd grad transfer to come to UConn after graduating early at tOSU where she earned 1st Team All-Big Ten Honors as a player while also earning Academic All-Conference recognition. At 6’5” Dorka is a Big who can rebound, defend and score. Some BY’ers think that Dorka will challenge Liv for a starting role. For many reasons, I don’t. Rather than having either one or the other on the court, I believe that UConn’s best lineup, particularly against teams like SC and Stanford, might just have both Liv & Dorka on the floor together. That will likely depend on Dorka finding her 3-pt shooting stroke from her sophomore season, when she shot almost 40% from the arc, rather than the 20% clip she shot as a junior.
"... particularly against teams like SC and Stanford"

What do you think of this against SC and Stanford? Playing Liv in the high post for her passing talents and intermediate range jumper while playing Dorka and Aaliyah at the low post for there aggressive rebounding and strong finishing at the basket. The three pointers can be provided by potentially the team's best 3pt shooters, Paige, Azzi, and Caroline, to spread the floor and open up the key for Dorka, Aaliyah, and Liv. It isn't as though these players will always be on the floor. It also depends on Azzi's and Caroline's reaction the college game's speed and contact. "E" and CW will see lots of playing time but when it is obvious there is a need to spread the floor and open up the key then bring in the snipers Paige, Azzi, and Caroline.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I’m not sure any “Best” lineup doesn’t include Edwards on the floor, but that’s why the games are played. Handling the depth on this team may be Geno’s greatest challenge since 2000-2001, when an incredibly deep team failed to win a championship. Having 10 starters is not always a Blessing, although it is much preferable to having only four.
I believe the 2000-2001 team had the best talent. That year they needed that depth, with two first team All Americans sitting out with season ending injuries. If Shea and Sveta played it could have been a different story.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paradox is a funny word to use. Implies the process cannot be explained even after the fact. I think how we handle transfers is just right. Only pick players who can potentially fill a void and hope for the best.
Paradox has a few definitions. In this case, the definition I am suggesting is, “A situation, person or thing that combines contradictory features or qualities.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe the 2000-2001 team had the best talent. That year they needed that depth, with two first team All Americans sitting out with season ending injuries. If Shea and Sveta played it could have been a different story.
Unfortunately, injuries can play a big role in a team’s lineup. The two injuries in 2000-01 may have cost UConn a championship. Let’s hope this coming season UConn can avoid any major injuries.

Reaction Score
Transfers have been around since the dawn of college sports. in the last 10-15 seasons player transfers have become the norm. UConn WBB had its share of outbound transfers over the years. Almost all have found success at other programs, securing a starting role and additional PT. This makes sense. UConn recruits the top players in the country and, to the extent they learn the demands of UConn WBB, they are usually well prepared for their new schools.

As for inbound transfers, UConn joined the party later than many schools. However, the 2021-22 season will be the 7th consecutive season when the Huskies have fielded a team with at least one eligible transfer on the roster.

UConn fans are usually thrilled whenever a transfer announces their intention to matriculate to Storrs because it is often so unexpected, like finding a $20 bill in your couch. The paradox is that while outbound transfers often earn PT and even stardom at their new schools, most inbound transfers to UConn were already stars at their former school and, to succeed at UConn, they must adjust to a different, sometimes limited role.

In assessing the impact of inbound transfers to UConn, it is fair to say it’s been a mixed bag. Here is a brief review of the impact of 6 years of inbound transfers along with some comments on our newest transfer for 2021-22:

Natalie Butler – Nat was a big strong kid out of Georgetown. Injuries and a deep roster limited her contribution in 2015-16. The next season Nat played some important minutes off the bench in several big games, including wins over Baylor and SC, where she was able to use her size and strength to match up well against traditional Bigs. But against quicker teams, Nat often struggled to have an impact. Against MS St in the national semifinals, Nat played just 6 minutes, accumulating 1 PF and 2 TO’s. Nat transferred to George Mason as a grad transfer where she was a dominant Big in the CAA.

Batouly Camara – Touly was a physical kid who could rebound and had a nice shooting touch when she transferred to UConn out of KY. Unfortunately, we never had a chance to see what Touly could do at UConn, as she dealt with chronic knee problems throughout her four years as a Husky.

Azura Stevens – Z was certainly one of the more talented players to ever transfer to UConn, coming from Duke. To our disappointment, she only played the one season, but Z had a very nice year in 2017-18. However, Z’s season at UConn demonstrates the difficulty of optimizing the individual talents of several players into a team. At 6’6”, Z came to UConn with a reputation as a player who was effective in the paint, with the ability to step outside and knock down shots from the arc. Unfortunately, Z never found her 3-pt shot at UConn. That created a challenge for UConn in playing both Z & Pheesa at the same time. With Z inside, Pheesa spent more time on the perimeter, which moved perhaps the best low post scorer in the country away from the basket. It is not a coincidence that in her 3 seasons as a starter at UConn, the only season that Pheesa did not earn 1st Team AA honors was 2017-18.

Evelyn Adebayo – Evelyn was the first graduate transfer to UConn, coming to Storrs from Murray St where she led the team in scoring, rebounding and mpg. With a few months to learn the system at UConn, Evelyn was never able to adjust from being the “go to player” for Murray St to being an effective role player at UConn.

Evina Westbrook – E came to UConn from TN, where she was often criticized by Lady Vol fans, usually unfairly, as the once proud TN WBB program declined under HW. At UConn, after the disappointment of the NCAA denying her waiver request, along with 2 knee surgeries, it is hardly a stretch to suggest that E has been the most effective transfer ever to play for UConn WBB. E became a total team player at UConn. She is a super-Swiss Army knife that gives the Huskies whatever they need on any given night. E works so seamlessly with Paige that it appears as if they’ve been playing together for years. When Geno went with a 4-guard offense, E accepted the challenge of defending opposing forwards. As good as she is as a player, E’s greatest contribution may well be assuming a leadership role and “surrogate mom’ to an exuberant band of youngsters. Best of all, we get her for one more season.

One thing is for sure. For UConn to win banner # 12 this coming season, our two grad transfers will both need to come up big.

Damn!! I see why you have so many "Likes". This was an excellent read!! Masterful with the word play. Usually I skim through some of the longer posts. Not yours, my friend. While eating a bowl of Cheerios, I read everyone of your posts, especially this one. Great job.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Dorka have two years of eligibility remaining? UConn's website says (from when she was signed): "Juhász will graduate from Ohio State this semester with a degree in psychology and has two remaining seasons of eligibility."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Doesn't Dorka have two years of eligibility remaining? UConn's website says (from when she was signed): "Juhász will graduate from Ohio State this semester with a degree in psychology and has two remaining seasons of eligibility."
Yes she does, as do Christyn, Liv & Evina if they choose to use the “free” year granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic. I’m guessing all will turn pro at the end of the season, but you never know.

CL82

Reaction Score
I always thought a paradox was what was needed when a single one couldn't handle your surgery.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oldude analysis is excellent as usual, but I also wanted to comment on the changing role of transfers. Dropping the year of waiting makes it much easier to fill short term needs in the portal. Recruiting is a longer term issue, meeting future needs when players graduate etc. But unexpected things happen, season ending injuries, transfers you didn't see coming, early WNBA departures etc.

In the past you were often screwed, it might be too late for another recruit and you had to wait a year for a transfer. Now you can look to the portal for a quick fix, maybe only for a year if a senior or grad transfer. Schools are also using the foreign market, not so much for a quick fix, but when they miss out on a key recruit and don't have other good US options. We did that with Anna, I don't know how much she would have played this year id she had stayed, but we needed her a-lot two years ago.

High school recruiting in the US is still the dominant game-plan A, but foreign players are a decent plan B to US recruiting, and the transfer portal is now a great plan B to compensate for unanticipated departures or injuries, far more important than when they had to wait a year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude analysis is excellent as usual, but I also wanted to comment on the changing role of transfers. Dropping the year of waiting makes it much easier to fill short term needs in the portal. Recruiting is a longer term issue, meeting future needs when players graduate etc. But unexpected things happen, season ending injuries, transfers you didn't see coming, early WNBA departures etc.

In the past you were often screwed, it might be too late for another recruit and you had to wait a year for a transfer. Now you can look to the portal for a quick fix, maybe only for a year if a senior or grad transfer. Schools are also using the foreign market, not so much for a quick fix, but when they miss out on a key recruit and don't have other good US options. We did that with Anna, I don't know how much she would have played this year id she had stayed, but we needed her a-lot two years ago.

High school recruiting in the US is still the dominant game-plan A, but foreign players are a decent plan B to US recruiting, and the transfer portal is now a great plan B to compensate for unanticipated departures or injuries, far more important than when they had to wait a year.
Your point is well taken. The new immediate eligibility provision for transfers will most certainly increase the number and impact of transfers, particularly in WBB.

Reaction Score
Yes she does, as do Christyn, Liv & Evina if they choose to use the “free” year granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic. I’m guessing all will turn pro at the end of the season, but you never know.
I expect the returning seniors to depart as well, but think Dorka might be the most likely to return. She graduated from Ohio State, and a masters degree is two years. I am not sure if her coming here is preparing her for the WNBA, it might be more realistically prepping her for a long career in Europe which is very likely for her. Also her playing time could easily be greater in a second year when Liv was gone.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Liv should have a huge year this year. She's talented enough. Will that happen? [Shrugs]
My theory; Liv has never had to fight for her minutes. This has prevented her from developing the aggressive playing style to succeed against top ranked opponents. Her passive playing style allowed her to still dominate lesser foes because of size and athleticism advantages. From what I have read, Dorka is bringing an Aliyah playing style with a strong 6'5" frame. Practice and scrimmage will have a different intensity in the post this year and Liv will have to learn to fight for her minutes. This has to affect her style of play on a daily basis. I expect that we will see a much more forceful Liv day in and day out. The forceful version of Liv will not be knocked off her shot as in days gone bye and she will dominate at the rim. This could be her breakout year where she plays at an AA level.

ADDENDUM: And if she doesn't she will have a great seat for #12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My theory; Liv has never had to fight for her minutes. This has prevented her from developing the aggressive playing style to succeed against top ranked opponents. Her passive playing style allowed her to still dominate lesser foes because of size and athleticism advantages. From what I have read, Dorka is bringing an Aliyah playing style with a strong 6'5" frame. Practice and scrimmage will have a different intensity in the post this year and Liv will have to learn to fight for her minutes. This has to affect her style of play on a daily basis. I expect that we will see a much more forceful Liv day in and day out. The forceful version of Liv will not be knocked off her shot as in days gone bye and she will dominate at the rim. This could be her breakout year where she plays at an AA level.
That would be wonderful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom