UConn's recruiting pitch | The Boneyard

UConn's recruiting pitch

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
For any kid that isn't quite good enough to get an offer from one of the 69 P5 programs starting in 2023, UConn has a unique advantage over every one else in the G5: we can schedule 5-6 P5 games a year. The other two G5 independents have their own issues: a lot of kids don't want to enlist in the Army, and UMass rarely gets a home P5 game. Nobody in the G5 can play more than 3 P5 games as they all play an FCS game + an 8 game conference schedule. In addition to our TV deal, this is a HUGE advantage for us. Any kid with a chip on his shoulder about not getting a P5 offer would be wise to consider UConn.

We can schedule like a P5-lite. I firmly believe that you are who you schedule. We have the ability to schedule more P5 home and homes. We know this. B1G and ACC schools will schedule us. If we schedule 6 P5 games a year + Army, I promise you our recruiting will improve. BYU saw this ten years ago. I know they have a better name but we are basically an eastern indy BYU.

The sales pitch is simple: "Kid, the P5 schools didn't see the potential in you. We do. You have the opportunity to play those very schools all year long at UConn. You don't get to do that at any other G5 school. Here's the chance to prove them all wrong."

Reaction Score
This is a strange pitch to me. We're not recruiting kids not good enough to get P5 offers. When has that ever been the case? We're recruiting the best players that have an interest in UConn that can elevate the program into the top 25, not the top 70.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is a strange pitch to me. We're not recruiting kids not good enough to get P5 offers. When has that ever been the case? We're recruiting the best players that have an interest in UConn that can elevate the program into the top 25, not the top 70.
About half the kids we recruit don't have a P5 offer but several other G5 offers: this is for them. At the end of the day, we should be out recruiting almost everyone in the MAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA and good portions of the AAC and MW given our scheduling.

P.S. In the last few years, we have been getting commitments from kids with no other FBS offers.

Reaction Score
I think the problem often is when they get the P5 offer after the UConn offer.

Reaction Score
How about we are building around you at your position, and there is immediate playing time if you do what we think you are capable of doing. You will be defining the future of UConn football. Your success will be respected and you have the unique chance to leave a lasting legacy as one of the guys that built this program to become great.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Besides the usual pitch that schools give and whatever Mora adds, the bigger selling point that we have over a lot of G5 schools is national exposure. Our current CBSSN deal is a huge selling point for us. Keeping that deal is vital for this program and turning this around immediately, so CBS wants to keeps its investment, must be done

Reaction Score
I equate “immediate playing time” to (1) we have no talent at your position and (b) you won’t even have to work that hard. Leave that pitch for certain portal kids.

Reaction Score
How about, TV Deal, P5 schedule, immediate playing time and most importantly NIL opportunities. We need to provide better NIL opportunities vs most of the G5. It should not be close (with the exception of Jackson State)

Reaction Score
This is a strange pitch to me. We're not recruiting kids not good enough to get P5 offers. When is that ever been the case? We're recruiting the best players that have an interest in UConn that can elevate the program into the top 25, not the top 70.
Maybe RE didn't think like that, because we has the AAC to schedule, now, we are independent, we can schedule who we want, and with our basketball teams (maybe soccer and hockey, too) we could schedule and even incentives with basketball. As an example, DB schedule a H & H with Auburn for football and he throws in a H & H for WBB and MBB and soccer. Us being independent is great and we could recruit players because our schedule.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Id think it would be awesome as a good G5 / lower P5 recruit to play for UConn and get annual road games at great P5 environments (OSU, Clemson, Michigan, etc.)

Will be even better pitch if the team could be semi competitive in those road games in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom