UConn's Nelson-Ododa using Arizona loss as motivation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn's Nelson-Ododa using Arizona loss as motivation

Reaction Score
Liv is probably the most unique player to come to UConn. By that I mean, her potential, coming into her senior year, has yet to be seen. The fact is, in BIG TIME games, she is zilch. Some have said it, but Dorka isn't here because of the weather. I'm with @Carnac in that I am 1000% in her corner, cheering her on. I KNOW she has the potential to blow the doors off her senior year, she just needs to KNOW it also!

Reaction Score
I could never understand when a UConn player says they need a loss in a Final Four to motivate them. If being a student/athlete at UConn and putting on that jersey isn't motivation enough then maybe those players are at the wrong institution.

Reaction Score
Whatever she needs to fuel her fire. That Arizona loss is going to reveal a lot about the veterans and how they approach the season. I can not wait for October!!

Reaction Score
Liv is a terrific player. With a bit more work on post moves, she could be a real force. Unfortunately, I think her offensive game is very predictable. She doesn't get her jump shot off quickly, and the "two dribbles one way, spin the other way and pin the defender with the elbow" routine is extremely predictable. Adding little jump hooks with either hand would make her a lot of money at the next level..

Reaction Score
Go found it u did like her but it was one poster that didn’t really want her not a lot as you quoted
yes there was one posting hammering on about her but there were others as well as surely you would have seen this if you cared to look. other posters were either on board with what the very critical view or this poster and/or were on the critical side, just not to the extent of the one poster.

and as soon as GA took her and as I predicted, all criticism disappeared like a fart in the wind....

Reaction Score
I would not have a dog in this fight, except that you made a claim and then said it was someone else’s responsibility to track down the evidence. That’s not how it works and there is too much of that going on in our society.

To your credit you did provide a reference, so I did track it down. There are 25 posts per page. The support for DJ was extensive. You were, in fact, late to the party. @CocoHusky and @BobbyJ applauded her within the first few posts of the first page, and their opinions carry a lot of weight. For the first four pages there were exactly three dissenters, two worried about roster size and not critical of DJ and one poster who made a couple posts about mediocre stats.

Then on the fifth page @oldude challenged DJ’s value. He did so repeatedly and was repeatedly rebutted by various posters, you being one of them but later than @UcMiami and others. This refutes your earlier claim that most posts were negative. They weren’t. The majority os posts and posters were in support of DJ coming here, with you chiming in later than about ten other supporters.
wow digger. you must really care about this more than me. yeah the negativity was not as extensive as I thought but I do count a few more negative or not very positive posts than you. If somebody is worried about roster size, that is not a ringing endorsement of the player's value to the team. If one thinks the player has value, then roster size never enters the consciousness since the feeling is that she would play and make a difference. I think those posts count more on the negative side of the spectrum for me than they do for you. Posters worrying about roster size rather than engaging in positive comments about DJ's potential impact?? hmmmm sounds negative to me, but in a passive way. Roster size is not a reason not to take DJ!

Anyway, I do agree with your first sentence but this is a message board so if somebody calls me out, then they can bring the goods to prove me wrong. im cool with that.

and then as i predicted, when GA took DJ, it was all gravy train after that.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
wow digger. you must really care about this more than me. yeah the negativity was not as extensive as I thought but I do count a few more negative or not very positive posts than you.

Anyway, I do agree with your first sentence but this is a message board so if somebody calls me out, then they can bring the goods to prove me wrong. im cool with that.
Actually, the one thing I cared about was in that first paragraph and, even as you say you agree with the first sentence it does not appear that you get my drift. The following explanation is one of protocol meant for a general audience.

When one makes a claim that could be challenged it’s up to the claimant, not the challenger, to provide the evidence. That’s the way it works in the scientific community, that’s the way it works in the courtroom, unfortunately it has not always worked that way in politics or media.

If one thinks their claim is so obvious it would not get challenged, but still does, the responsibility does not change, it’s up to the claimant to provide the evidence. This is even more important in human matters when the charge is a negative charge, when “innocent until proven guilty” kicks in. In this case the presumption would be most UConn fans would have a positive reaction involving UConn players or prospects, thus a claim that most are negative warrants the burden of proof, not a challenge to that claim.

I only read through five pages, up until your reference point, so if everything after that was negative it was omitted from my analysis but, even then, it’s up to you to prove the negative reflection on UConn fans. For those first five pages, and including roster size issues as a pure negative, by my count there were twice as many positive posters as negative ones, with you being the last to enter the fray, and more than twice as many positive posts. Yet my real concern has nothing to do with UConn. It is that we have a society where politicians and media make negative/damaging claims, provide an echo chamber for each other to those claims as the “evidence,” and then say it’s up to doubters to prove them wrong.

Reaction Score
Actually, the one thing I cared about was in that first paragraph and, even as you say you agree with the first sentence it does not appear that you get my drift. The following explanation is one of protocol meant for a general audience.

When one makes a claim that could be challenged it’s up to the claimant, not the challenger, to provide the evidence. That’s the way it works in the scientific community, that’s the way it works in the courtroom, unfortunately it has not always worked that way in politics or media.

If one thinks their claim is so obvious it would not get challenged, but still does, the responsibility does not change, it’s up to the claimant to provide the evidence. This is even more important in human matters when the charge is a negative charge, when “innocent until proven guilty” kicks in. In this case the presumption would be most UConn fans would have a positive reaction involving UConn players or prospects, thus a claim that most are negative warrants the burden of proof, not a challenge to that claim.

I only read through five pages, up until your reference point, so if everything after that was negative it was omitted from my analysis but, even then, it’s up to you to prove the negative reflection on UConn fans. For those first five pages, and including roster size issues as a pure negative, by my count there were twice as many positive posters as negative ones, with you being the last to enter the fray, and more than twice as many positive posts. Yet my real concern has nothing to do with UConn. It is that we have a society where politicians and media make negative/damaging claims, provide an echo chamber for each other to those claims as the “evidence,” and then say it’s up to doubters to prove them wrong.
I just dont agree with you Digger. If I tell somebody they have a bad memory or they are wrong about something, I'm not just going to say that. I'll bring the evidence as well. The same goes in everyday life. Somebody says I'm wrong, I expect them to show me how I am wrong and vice a versa.

To be honest, it is not common in my life anyway, for somebody to dispute a statement somebody makes, cloaked with disparaging remarks and then not back it up.

Reaction Score
if liv can play smart and tough and make damn shots, it will certainly help and gives us another weapon. her being AA is a joke. good sometimes and pathetic other times.

CW is very good sometimes but not the game changer she was hoped to be. is that game changer.
Here we are in July and the vitriol flowing so freely. Jazz, please take a look at the words you chose to describe one of our own, a UCONN student athlete. I wish you and others would just step back and think about their negative opinions and endlessly beating the proverbial dead horse. Give it a rest. Both ONO and CW are far better that your assessment.

Reaction Score

Stated very well. Thank you.

Reaction Score
The problem these days is the lack of mental toughness and that is systemic in our culture. Each generation is less mentally tough then the previous. I think Liv was confident in the beginning and then lost that feeling later. She appears to get rattled if players challenge her at the rim. That is the only explanation I can conjure that would explain her missing time and time again. Also, she is just can't handle any contact when she shoots. She cannot finish through contact.
Really? You're going to put that out there and not think someone would challenge or disagree with your contention? Why don't you run that by Geno and CD. Better still, poll the current UCONN women players themselves?
SMH.

Reaction Score
I could never understand when a UConn player says they need a loss in a Final Four to motivate them. If being a student/athlete at UConn and putting on that jersey isn't motivation enough then maybe those players are at the wrong institution.
I have to say, there’s a big difference between needing a loss and using a loss. I don’t think Liv said she needed the loss, rather that she is using the loss as an incentive for this season.

Reaction Score
I absolutely expect Azzi to be a game changer but we would all do well to remember that CW was also expected to be a game changer when she signed. Hopefully, this time next year we’ll be saying that both were game changers for this season, one for her first (and hopefully for three more) and the other for her final season! Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, it’s just hard to believe we could see two consecutive players like Paige. I hope Azzi is even better than Paige but it’s just very difficult for me to really accept it until it actually happens! Here’s hoping, though!
CW had a tremendous game in her first matchup against Notre Dame, and many (including me) thought that performance would be her standard game in her Sophomore year on. Turns out UND was surprised in the first half and did not adjust.... Then other opponents game planned against her as she needed to pick a bigger load than being 4th or 5th option.

Hopefully, CW will be fearless throughout this year as a hard driving guard, making FTs, taking the wide-open 3 pointer in rhythm without hesitation, and being the "lockdown" defender that she showed in long spurts towards the end of her Junior year - for ALL of her minutes this coming season.

We will get to see Azzi in action (with Amari DeBerry) in the FIBA U19 Worlds in August!!! They start practice Stateside tomorrow.

Pretty cool: AE in the Olympics (Canada 5 x 5), and Azzi and Amari in the 5 x 5 U19 Worlds. The future is BRIGHT indeed!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? You're going to put that out there and not think someone would challenge or disagree with your contention? Why don't you run that by Geno and CD. Better still, poll the current UCONN women players themselves?
SMH.
never said nobody wouldnt challenge or disagree so not sure where that comment is coming from. Also, GA has mentioned this same veiwpoint several times through the years so if I did run it by them, they would certainly agree since they themselves have said the same thing several times in the past.

What would the current players know about the toughness of players a decade or more before them? How would they be able to make an honest comparison to of themselves to those players?. That is a silly comment and you can SYH all you want.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here we are in July and the vitriol flowing so freely. Jazz, please take a look at the words you chose to describe one of our own, a UCONN student athlete. I wish you and others would just step back and think about their negative opinions and endlessly beating the proverbial dead horse. Give it a rest. Both ONO and CW are far better that your assessment.
1 or two or even several comments does not make vitriol. This is one comment and in your world that equates to vitriol?? hmmmm That says something about you.

By the way, this is a message board and there are no rules about opinions, even if they hurt your feelings a bit.

Also, if you have thousands of fans, then it stands to reason that there may have a lot of negative comments which you may categorise as vitriol and also a lot of positive comments. Is there some rule that once there is one negative comment, then the thousands of other fans who are members of this board and now not allowed to say anything negative since they are 'one of our own' and that may hurt their feelings or yours? That is being mentally weak and I don't think our players are that mentally weak. Do you really think they are in their bedrooms crying about what is said here? If so, then they probably shouldn't be playing for GA.

What dead horse are you talking about? You think GA gave ONO a big cuddle and a bottle of warm milk when they watched the video of the AZ game? I think he was every bit as rough on her as my one sentence was, otherwise he is doing her an injustice.

I will use the words I want and don't need to be lectured by you. It does not matter if they are 'one of our own' or not. If players (and fans for that matter) today are worried about what is said on the BY about 'one of our own', then they are mentally weak and our players certainly will not be able to play successfully for GA.

So I guess you think ONO is truly an AA and her game against AZ was not pathetic? Or would you just categorise it in a much softer tone, maybe with a warm glass of milk...because she is 'one of our own'?

I guess you think CW is a game changer then. When is the last time she actually one a game for us? She is good, even very good sometimes, but not consistent and not a game changer. Not sure why that is a problem for you. It is pretty obvious and even GA eluded to her not having the season she had hoped for.

I have nothing to give a rest too. I stand by my comments. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1 or two or even several comments does not make vitriol. This is one comment and in your world that equates to vitriol?? hmmmm That says something about you.

By the way, this is a message board and there are no rules about opinions, even if they hurt your feelings a bit.

Also, if you have thousands of fans, then it stands to reason that there may have a lot of negative comments which you may categorise as vitriol and also a lot of positive comments. Is there some rule that once there is one negative comment, then the thousands of other fans who are members of this board and now not allowed to say anything negative since they are 'one of our own' and that may hurt their feelings or yours? That is being mentally weak and I don't think our players are that mentally weak. Do you really think they are in their bedrooms crying about what is said here? If so, then they probably shouldn't be playing for GA.

What dead horse are you talking about? You think GA gave ONO a big cuddle and a bottle of warm milk when they watched the video of the AZ game? I think he was every bit as rough on her as my one sentence was, otherwise he is doing her an injustice.

I will use the words I want and don't need to be lectured by you. It does not matter if they are 'one of our own' or not. If players (and fans for that matter) today are worried about what is said on the BY about 'one of our own', then they are mentally weak and our players certainly will not be able to play successfully for GA.

So I guess you think ONO is truly an AA and her game against AZ was not pathetic? Or would you just categorise it in a much softer tone, maybe with a warm glass of milk...because she is 'one of our own'?

I guess you think CW is a game changer then. When is the last time she actually one a game for us? She is good, even very good sometimes, but not consistent and not a game changer. Not sure why that is a problem for you. It is pretty obvious and even GA eluded to her not having the season she had hoped for.

I have nothing to give a rest too. I stand by my comments. You are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I.
You can certainly exercise your rights to display your negative opinions on this message board within its guidelines, but why and to what end?
Thank you for making our day that much brighter.

Reaction Score
You can certainly exercise your rights to display your negative opinions on this message board within its guidelines, but why and to what end?
Thank you for making our day that much brighter.
no worries. you can ignore me if you like and maybe your day will be even brighter....

Why and to what end? is that rhetorical? Liv stunk up the joint and im sure she knows it. this is why she was benched for long stretches. CW was better but not to the level needed or hoped for. Her first half defense was poor but i also consider that a coaching mistake as well. Those two should be able to carry us to victory even if we dont get great games from other players on the team...after all, somehow they both got AA status. AAs need to play well in big games....

for the record, i have had numerous positive posts throughout the year but that AZ game was a complete debacle for everyone, although some worse than others. i cant pump sunshine if there is none to pump. Our juniors just didn't play well enough for us to win. I hope that last sentence is not too negative for you to handle.

Reaction Score
This whole notion of using an embarrasing loss as motivtion is an indictment of ones mentality prior to and during the game. What the subject line should be is something to the effect of.....(Insert UConn player) was emabrrased by their performance and vows to never repeat that level of play.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom