UConn's Nelson-Ododa using Arizona loss as motivation | The Boneyard

UConn's Nelson-Ododa using Arizona loss as motivation

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liv has all she needs to get (WNBA) better. Super Motivation and competition.

“I think about that game a lot, especially when we’re doing workouts or going over things,” Nelson-Ododa said. “I really watched film on it, too. Moving past that game I realize there are things that I need to work on, finishing, post moves, continuing to get stronger. Looking at it is tough but it’s needed for growth. I want to take it and build off of it.”

At 6-foot-5, Nelson-Ododa owned a height advantage but the Wildcats made up for it with effort, energy, and enthusiasm. In 21 forgettable minutes, Nelson-Ododa was 0-for-7 from the floor — the only time all season she did not make a field goal — and 1-for-4 from the foul line. She missed from point-blank range and from mid-range.

The Winder, Georgia native watches herself on tape and her first question for herself is, ‘Is that me?’ ”
“Seriously, that’s how it is,” Nelson-Ododa said. “And I’m not the only one that feels like that, too. For me personally, I look at it and see where I messed up and how I have to get better and go from there.”

Reaction Score
Liv has all she needs to get (WNBA) better. Super Motivation and competition.

“I think about that game a lot, especially when we’re doing workouts or going over things,” Nelson-Ododa said. “I really watched film on it, too. Moving past that game I realize there are things that I need to work on, finishing, post moves, continuing to get stronger. Looking at it is tough but it’s needed for growth. I want to take it and build off of it.”

At 6-foot-5, Nelson-Ododa owned a height advantage but the Wildcats made up for it with effort, energy, and enthusiasm. In 21 forgettable minutes, Nelson-Ododa was 0-for-7 from the floor — the only time all season she did not make a field goal — and 1-for-4 from the foul line. She missed from point-blank range and from mid-range.

The Winder, Georgia native watches herself on tape and her first question for herself is, ‘Is that me?’ ”
“Seriously, that’s how it is,” Nelson-Ododa said. “And I’m not the only one that feels like that, too. For me personally, I look at it and see where I messed up and how I have to get better and go from there.”
I'm pulling for Liv but at the same time, I'm not going to take the cheese like i did this past year. Talking is one thing, doing it in big games in another. Trust is hard to build and easily lost.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I'm pulling for Liv but at the same time, I'm not going to take the cheese like i did this past year. Talking is one thing, doing it in big games in another. Trust is hard to build and easily lost.
I think Geno bringing Dorka in indicates agreement with you. He wants consistent play from Liv and has not gotten it.

Reaction Score
The fact that she’s working on her shooting form AND working on post moves gives me a huge amount of hope. Tina Charles found huge success using the hook shot. I’m hoping Liv can use it, too, since (at her height) it will be extremely difficult to block.

Reaction Score
I’m rooting for Liv, as all the pieces to accomplish her goal are there: talent (hers, teammates), athleticism, skills, knowledge, and coaches. But what seems to be missing is confidence, especially during big games. Everyone just needs to consistently work on confidence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The fact that she’s working on her shooting form AND working on post moves gives me a huge amount of hope. Tina Charles found huge success using the hook shot. I’m hoping Liv can use it, too, since (at her height) it will be extremely difficult to block.

I'm a huge fan of the hook shot. Think Kareem on the men's side. On the women's side, Tina's hook shot is one of the best shots in the world. I've wanted Stewie, Lou, Liv, et al. to adopt it. Stewie certainly has.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
To me she's the key for '21-'22. Hopefully her foul line jumper and up fake and drive to the basket are in her arsenal.
Sort of agree in that if she plays to her potential we will be very good. But I would say she is a key, rather than the key. She can put us over the top if she plays at her best, but even if she doesn’t we have other tools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Geno bringing Dorka in indicates agreement with you. He wants consistent play from Liv and has not gotten it.
no doubt which is what I said when the news of Dorka's potential transfer emerged. I don't remember many boneyarders being in favour of Dorka however (lots of negatively actually), but I argued she will be a good to very good player and better and more consistent than what we have.

I also hope she pushes Liv to be a better player as well. Then there is Deberry, who is the wildcard in all of this.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I"m not sure Olivia is a key to win the Championship. IF she's unwilling/unable to get physical in the Low Post then I expect Dorka Juhasz will take some of her minutes. We're hearing the same thing that both Olivia and Christyn said after their Sophomore Year. IMO their level of play didn't increase significantly between their Sophomore and Junior year. I want to see Evina have a break out year because IMO she deferred to her teammates too frequently last year.

Reaction Score
I’m rooting for her like everyone else but I’m not sure she’s the key to wherever this team is going next season. If there isn’t improvement, Geno doesn’t need to be patient this time. AE, Dorka , Amari will get the minutes.

Reaction Score
Sort of agree in that if she plays to her potential we will be very good. But I would say she is a key, rather than the key. She can put us over the top if she plays that are best, but even if she doesn’t we have other tools.

You pretty much know what everyone else is going to do game in/game out. ONO not so much.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of the hook shot. Think Kareem on the men's side. On the women's side, Tina's hook shot is one of the best shots in the world. I've wanted Stewie, Lou, Liv, et al. to adopt it. Stewie certainly has.
Agreed. I remember falling in love with Tina’s hook shot when she used it against Griner in the 2010 FF. It was really effective and even Griner could barely challenge it. It’s still so pretty to me the way it comes off Tina’s fingertips!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
no doubt which is what I said when the news of Dorka's potential transfer emerged. I don't remember many boneyarders being in favour of Dorka however (lots of negatively actually), but I argued she will be a good to very good player and better and more consistent than what we have.
I also hope she pushes Liv to be a better player as well. Then there is Deberry, who is the wildcard in all of this.
@jazz your memory is about as bad as mine. If you go back to the April 12 thread announcing her transfer (12 pages) you'll find great enthusiasm for her arrival.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You pretty much know what everyone else is going to do game in/game out. ONO not so much.
Her pattern has been two I have big games against lesser opponents but disappear against quality competition. I think she is more than physically gifted enough to be able to hold their own, but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened. I’m really rooting for this to be the year that it all comes together for her, but in all honesty, I’m not sure.

Reaction Score
@jazz your memory is about as bad as mine. If you go back to the April 12 thread announcing her transfer (12 pages) you'll find great enthusiasm for her arrival.
my memory is excellent my friend although sometimes i momentarily forget things and later they come back to me. I'm talking way before that when it was a possibility. She was getting slagged off big time and I even posted a prediction that everybody would change their minds once it was official. i ended up being right, since as usual, once GA goes a certain way, everybody changes their tune. kind of like NM last year. she sucked until GA started her and then the whole board fell in love with her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I"m not sure Olivia is a key to win the Championship. IF she's unwilling/unable to get physical in the Low Post then I expect Dorka Juhasz will take some of her minutes. We're hearing the same thing that both Olivia and Christyn said after their Sophomore Year. IMO their level of play didn't increase significantly between their Sophomore and Junior year. I want to see Evina have a break out year because IMO she deferred to her teammates too frequently last year.
if liv can play smart and tough and make damn shots, it will certainly help and gives us another weapon. her being AA is a joke. good sometimes and pathetic other times.

CW is very good sometimes but not the game changer she was hoped to be. is that game changer.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Liz needs to dominate in every game she plays whether it's viewed as Big or insignificant, Every game she has remaining as far as I am concerned is a BIG game, and that's in pre-season, in-season, or Post-season...

Three years of mediocre play is currently her resume. If she wishes to change that narrative and play at the next level, then she really has no choice... Time for No excuses, just bring it... A dunk or two might also boost some interest...

I personally would like to finally see her playing with an edge/attitude and lots of confidence... Enough of this nice girl, going with the flow and stop bringing the ball down and look to score when she has mismatches on the court...

Also, try to get every rebound that comes anywhere within 8ft of her... With quality backups in the rotation, she can now afford to be more aggressive and not worry so much about being in foul trouble.

Let the year of ONO begin!!

Reaction Score

Guess your memory is poor

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
my memory is excellent my friend although sometimes i momentarily forget things and later they come back to me. I'm talking way before that when it was a possibility. She was getting slagged off big time and I even posted a prediction that everybody would change their minds once it was official. i ended up being right, since as usual, once GA goes a certain way, everybody changes their tune. kind of like NM last year. she sucked until GA started her and then the whole board fell in love with her.
I don't know how it came to be that I was unaware of the early debate. Perhaps I was in Final 4 mourning!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom