UConn's 23-24 Non-Con Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn's 23-24 Non-Con Schedule

Reaction Score
That is quite an OOC. Some may not like the results that could come out of those games. Much remains to be seen when looking at next season's team.

It will definitely present challenges.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the schedule of out of conference teams listed above in addition to inconference schedule of Big East Teams especially if they are going to be spaced as they were this year. That is too much pressure for the personnel to endure and leaves no room for injuries and unforcasted events that will not allow the opitimum team to be on the floor.

These recruits should not be looked at as the miracles to place UConn above other programs. In most cases these miracle recruits sit on the bench and languish away contributing very little. What happened to Ayanna Patterson and Amari Debarry? What a waste when these young women would be starters or backups in other programs. And, yet when they try to contribute, the results are less than satisfactory.

Couple of interesting factoids, Paige and Azzi have been missing in action for the last two years and when Azzi has been available, everyone thinks that every basket is going to go in and that is not the case. She is not a Caitlan Clark or a Maddy Siecrest who can do this in almost every game. And, who is to say that these two women can ever play effectively again and not have other injuries to their legs that will eliminate them for another year. Paige is becoming he greatest basketball player that never played. And, Carolyn may be theoretically finished. Did not anyone see her holding her head during the game with Ohio State while on the floor trying to play.

I would prefer an easier schedule that allows the team to come together and allow them to learn to play basketball the way Geno wants them to play. Beating these kids to ground with that schedule listed above does not necessarily prepare them for adversity as it breaks the team down.

I know that there those that have voiced approval of the schedule above and I think that there are some that who would like to see a more modest schedul. The kind of schedule above is for a team like of the Breanna Stewart years. Not now. They are not even close.
If they are all healthy, this will be a dominant team!

Reaction Score
That is quite an OOC. Some may not like the results that could come out of those games. Much remains to be seen when looking at next season's team.

It will definitely present challenges.
I believe we will lose no more than two of the nine games listed.

Reaction Score
Where is the North Carolina game? UNC? If so bet it get moved from Carmichael to the Dean Dome like last time, 15 years or so ago. They started at 7 but had the UNC Duke volleyball game at 4 so you could get a good seat.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the schedule of out of conference teams listed above in addition to inconference schedule of Big East Teams especially if they are going to be spaced as they were this year. That is too much pressure for the personnel to endure and leaves no room for injuries and unforcasted events that will not allow the opitimum team to be on the floor.

These recruits should not be looked at as the miracles to place UConn above other programs. In most cases these miracle recruits sit on the bench and languish away contributing very little. What happened to Ayanna Patterson and Amari Debarry? What a waste when these young women would be starters or backups in other programs. And, yet when they try to contribute, the results are less than satisfactory.

Couple of interesting factoids, Paige and Azzi have been missing in action for the last two years and when Azzi has been available, everyone thinks that every basket is going to go in and that is not the case. She is not a Caitlan Clark or a Maddy Siecrest who can do this in almost every game. And, who is to say that these two women can ever play effectively again and not have other injuries to their legs that will eliminate them for another year. Paige is becoming he greatest basketball player that never played. And, Carolyn may be theoretically finished. Did not anyone see her holding her head during the game with Ohio State while on the floor trying to play.

I would prefer an easier schedule that allows the team to come together and allow them to learn to play basketball the way Geno wants them to play. Beating these kids to ground with that schedule listed above does not necessarily prepare them for adversity as it breaks the team down.

I know that there those that have voiced approval of the schedule above and I think that there are some that who would like to see a more modest schedul. The kind of schedule above is for a team like of the Breanna Stewart years. Not now. They are not even close.
Wel said, veryolddog. I agree 100 percent. I suspect the Stewie team might have traversed such a schedule without a loss (or very many, anyway), but how would it have left them physically and mentally when it came time for the tournaments?

The team definitely needs a few mini-breaks during the winter to chill out a bit. Hard to imagine that'll be possible with all those tough opponents, plus an ever-improving Big East with which to contend.

I'd love to see all of those games, but I just don't think it would be to the team's best advantage.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Where is the North Carolina game? UNC? If so bet it get moved from Carmichael to the Dean Dome like last time, 15 years or so ago. They started at 7 but had the UNC Duke volleyball game at 4 so you could get a good seat.

I believe the chapel hill game is in Connecticut next season. The following year's matchup will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum. I look forward to seeing my huskies (if only for one night) in action.

Reaction Score
With the improvement of the Big East I don’t believe that tough of a schedule is needed anymore. We had the toughest schedule this year that was supposed to strengthen the teams resolve to pressure situations, however when needed most against Ohio State, the team was flustered and out of sorts, not showing the type of resolve that that schedule was intended to produce. LSU Has shown the basketball world that a super tough out of conference schedule is not necessary to build a cohesive team. The SEC Provided enough competition to build a cohesive squad. maybe half as difficult schedule would still produce the results Connecticut is looking for, and not wear down its players, and expose them to higher energy situations where injuries may occur. It was honestly painful to watch what looked like the straw that finally broke the camels back in that game. Plus, I believe Aubrey is a shell of herself suffering from the back pain. She clearly was not her Explosive self in our last game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I don't think I could disagree with you more. On every point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe the chapel hill game is in Connecticut next season. The following year's matchup will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum. I look forward to seeing my huskies (if only for one night) in action.
Can't even say UNC?:eek:
Reminds me years ago I was at a restaurant/buffet? and there obviously a men's basketball team eating there (during March Madness time). I asked them where they were from. They replied UNC. In my head I was like, "no you're not, they aren't playing around here". Turns out they were UNC-Charlotte.

I wanted to tell them they can't go around calling themselves UNC. They're UNC-Charlotte.....BIG difference. But I just told them good luck. :cool:

Reaction Score
If they are all healthy, this will be a dominant team!
You make a number of good points. From a fan perspective, I think these are really good games to have. The problem is, the coaches treat them as "sweet sixteen" games, where you " win or go home." So only the top 5-7 UCONN players are utilized. I think the end of the bench deserves quality time in these games. Both to rest the starters and to judge if those bench players have Division I talent or not. You referenced DeBerry and Patterson. Both were HS all Americans. What happened? Is there something wrong with our recruiting process, or is player development not working, or both? But if we don't play them at meaning moments, and for meaningful periods of time, in tough games, how will we ever learn? I realize that this year's team ( due to endless injuries ) did get " burned out" early in the season. And the spacing of these games had a lot to do with that. But, more so, was the use of the same small group of players, game after game. Keep in mind, that in order for the other top teams to schedule these games with UCONN, their schedules dictate availability, as well. So spacing may be somewhat inflexible. But player involvement is a variable. One final point; we all know coach's mantra, " you show your skills, knowledge, work ethic, etc. in practice. You earn your court time in practice." But I don't think anyone could ever do enough in practice to unseat Paige, or AZZI or Muhl or Edwards. So, what remains? If a kid is not working, and shows no signs of such, they don't belong in the uniform. If they are, however, I say give them a better look in meaningful games.

Reaction Score
What Geno does with the out of conference scheduling at UConn is totally amazing. I know that these games are needed not only for strength of schedule purposes but for women's basketball in general. However, playing the same schools over and over even though it might excite some fans it doesn't for all. For me it would be great to see the tournament currently played at the Mohegan Sun Arena at the start of the season be turned into a Northeast School Tournament. Have revolving schools take part such as: UConn, Boston College, Penn State, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, and maybe UMass. But UConn plays yearly and conference schools don't face each other. Would this draw fans? I don't know. For the UConn game it would of course. Penn State at one time was an awesome program. I would like to see Rutgers on our schedule once again as well as Syracuse. Just my thought....

Reaction Score
What Geno does with the out of conference scheduling at UConn is totally amazing. I know that these games are needed not only for strength of schedule purposes but for women's basketball in general. However, playing the same schools over and over even though it might excite some fans it doesn't for all. For me it would be great to see the tournament currently played at the Mohegan Sun Arena at the start of the season be turned into a Northeast School Tournament. Have revolving schools take part such as: UConn, Boston College, Penn State, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, and maybe UMass. But UConn plays yearly and conference schools don't face each other. Would this draw fans? I don't know. For the UConn game it would of course. Penn State at one time was an awesome program. I would like to see Rutgers on our schedule once again as well as Syracuse. Just my thought....

You’re assuming these teams want to play Uconn. I’d bet most of the teams you named don’t want to play Uconn.

Reaction Score

I agree with some of what you said. However, 14 players thus far for next year.

Reaction Score
I’d be very surprised if this isn’t the #1 SOS next year. Although I’ll look forward to watching many of these games, I don’t think that almost every OOC game needs to be against a potential top ten team. Some games certainly need to be against top teams in order to get ready for the tournament, but it might be good for the mental health of the team to have a few easier games too. Also, since Geno usually doesn’t go more than seven deep in games decided by less than 20pts, I’d like to see a few less good teams on the schedule where it is likely that bench players will get minutes. I hope that next year’s team is so good that bench players get into all of these games, but I’m not counting on it before seeing how healthy Paige, Azzi, and Caroline are and before seeing Ice and Jana play in a UCONN uniform. After the ups and downs of the last two seasons, I’m trying not to be too optimistic before actually seeing everyone on the court, but I really hope that it is the Huskies year!

Reaction Score
You’re assuming these teams want to play Uconn. I’d bet most of the teams you named don’t want to play Uconn.
It would be a two game tournament. For money I think that some teams would like the idea. Others may not.

Reaction Score
Would be curious what others think, based on the past year, regarding how strength of schedule currently affects end of year seedings. Appears that we are at a stage where if you have enough top 20 games, leading the country doesn't offer a greater advantage. Seemed like this past year, there was an "eye test" the voters applied at the end of the year, particularly regarding 1 and 2 seeds. In Geno we trust, but this is the toughest schedule I remember.

Reaction Score
With the improvement of the Big East I don’t believe that tough of a schedule is needed anymore. We had the toughest schedule this year that was supposed to strengthen the teams resolve to pressure situations, however when needed most against Ohio State, the team was flustered and out of sorts, not showing the type of resolve that that schedule was intended to produce. LSU Has shown the basketball world that a super tough out of conference schedule is not necessary to build a cohesive team. The SEC Provided enough competition to build a cohesive squad. maybe half as difficult schedule would still produce the results Connecticut is looking for, and not wear down its players, and expose them to higher energy situations where injuries may occur. It was honestly painful to watch what looked like the straw that finally broke the camels back in that game. Plus, I believe Aubrey is a shell of herself suffering from the back pain. She clearly was not her Explosive self in our last game.
You disregarded altogether the season of injuries UConn had. Yes, UConn may have been whole by tournament time but where they 100% healthy and for how long has this "whole" team played together?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom