UConn women Class of 2021 signees Caroline Ducharme, Azzi Fudd navigate COVID-disrupted end to high school careers | The Boneyard

UConn women Class of 2021 signees Caroline Ducharme, Azzi Fudd navigate COVID-disrupted end to high school careers

Reaction Score
New Courant Article (2/20/21)

“[Bueckers] said that you think you know they’re going to pay attention to detail, but it’s nothing like it was in high school,” Ducharme said.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and Azzi is chomping at the bit

Before they know it, they’ll be right there with the rest of the Huskies. The best part? “I think getting to be with them and play with them,” Fudd said, “and just get to play good basketball 24/7.”

I am surprised Alexa did not ask Caroline or Azzi what they thought of Paige's season?? :confused::confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
and Azzi is chomping at the bit

Before they know it, they’ll be right there with the rest of the Huskies. The best part? “I think getting to be with them and play with them,” Fudd said, “and just get to play good basketball 24/7.”

I am surprised Alexa did not ask Caroline or Azzi what they thought of Paige's season?? :confused::confused:
What a way to end your high school career. No doubt they were all told by Geno and his staff the things they wanted them to work on after the ink on their NLI was dry. When something is taken away from you, it makes you appreciate it more. I'm sure Azzi and Paige talk everyday. Azzi is a basketball "junkie" like Paige. She sees the fun and success Paige is having. You know she wants in.

I read an article this week where Paige said (I'm paraphrasing) "when I was younger and new to the game, I was so in love with the game I had to have a basketball in my hands 24/7." THAT'S love!! I'll bet Azzi feels the same way. UConn will benefit from that. Look at the difference having Paige on the team has made. Azzi is her clone, so now we'll two players that can get their own shot however and whenever they want it, and shoot 50%+ fgp as they do it.

No doubt Azzi follows the team and watches the games on TV like we do. You know she's champing at the bit to be here, and get in on some of the action (and success) she's seeing the team enjoy. We'll talk about a lot of things this summer. Whether or not Azzi starts will be probably the most discussed (debated) subject. Last year Geno had two openings because of graduation. This year everyone is back, thus no openings. So..........does she or doesn't she? We'll (the boneyard) have the answer to that question by Halloween. :cool:

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe not as language evolves and 'champ' has died. I will accept correction for 'on' vs 'at'

FWIW, and it's probably not much, but...
The correct phrase is "champing at the bit."
It signifies impatience at restraint.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
FWIW, and it's probably not much, but...
The correct phrase is "champing at the bit."
It signifies impatience at restraint.
Thanks. Never heard it pronounced or read it spelled that way.

Reaction Score
Maybe not as language evolves and 'champ' has died. I will accept correction for 'on' vs 'at'

"Champ has died" ?
From the same grammarist.com article in your post:
"Still, if you’re writing for school or for readers who are versed in English, champing at the bit is probably the safer choice."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"Champ has died" ?
From the same grammarist.com article in your post:
"Still, if you’re writing for school or for readers who are versed in English, champing at the bit is probably the safer choice."
So I guess I prefer using words everyone knows. :oops::oops::oops:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Perhaps relevant to the way that Paige and Azzi feel about basketeball:

It's amazing... over a decade ago...yikes...our very own sharpshooter Mel Thomas wrote a book titled
"Heart of a Huskie"...it told a fascinating tale of her senior year at UConn...ups and downs a'plenty.
If you have not read it, I would highly recommend it.

Mel has put several pictures in the book. My favorite is one of her taking a nap on a couch...she might be about 10 years old. She is lying on her back...eyes shut...clutching [what else?] a basketball on her stomach.
You can easily imagine her dreaming dreams of her future in basketball...with no doubt that her love for the game would lead her to those possibilities. Well...some of those dreams did not come true...some did. Her ACL tear in early in her senior career squelched her dreams of playing in the final four. Her first three years the team came close with Mel providing more than her fair share of advancing. They made it to the semis in her last year....losing to Stanford in the semis...I think. Mel was unable to play. All those tears come through her book clearly. IMO...her season ending injury...combined with another teammate going down early in the season...I apologize for not remembering who that was...led to that too-soon loss.

She was one of my all-time favorites for her 24/7 love for the game. No brick wall too stout for her to run thru....no loss of intensity in practices or games. Got some similarities to Nika in that respect. Now if Nika winds up shooting like Mel..we got something.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It strikes me that this coming class - at least Caroline and Azzi - are both cerebral and very dedicated to their basketball craft. Saylor has had a rapid appreciation for what college ball means. Getting geared up for next year is going to be a wildly exciting time for the Huskies. No telling what it will mean for us fans.

Reaction Score
New Courant Article (2/20/21)

“[Bueckers] said that you think you know they’re going to pay attention to detail, but it’s nothing like it was in high school,” Ducharme said.

Does anyone has a readable version? Thanks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Then there is the story that before the St Johns Game, during the Weekend Break to get recharged, Paige spent much of her free time watching basketball from a variety of sources including the G League. :eek:

Reaction Score
Link to the article non-paywall via yahoo:

(You can sometimes find non-paywalled versions of articles from the Courant and the New York Times by doing a google search on the title of the article)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Caroline Ducharme and Azzi will make the biggest impact next year for the freshmen. they both are good 3 ball shooters. Which opens up the middle for back door cuts and drives to the hoop. I know Azzi has been trained by good coaches in Fiba and travel ball. So can they play defense is the question because the group now may not be the best man-on-man defenders but the switching they and doing and help defense is very good? That will determine playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom