UConn will be fine | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn will be fine

Reaction Score
Realistically, we can't replace Paige. Losing PAge is like losing Magic Johnson or Larry Bird. She makes everyone around her better. We might make it to the FF though and if we can anything can happen but no way this team is now favored to be above top 3 this year.

My hope is that they all just go for it. Try to put the loss of Paige behind them and work even harder to maximize the opportunity they have before them. Who knows, maybe Ice or Ayanna emerge as stars like Caroline and Azzi did last year. Maybe we are now a team near the top of the NCAA in rebounding and defense and we can find enough offense to win it all.

Reaction Score
My hope is that they all just go for it. Try to put the loss of Paige behind them and work even harder to maximize the opportunity they have before them. Who knows, maybe Ice or Ayanna emerge as stars like Caroline and Azzi did last year. Maybe we are now a team near the top of the NCAA in rebounding and defense and we can find enough offense to win it all.
That’s my hope too! They’ll show Paige what they can do, and what she’ll have to work with next year!

Reaction Score
Paige could always get a shot if needed, and they went in often, no matter who was guarding her, against any team. What an insurance policy! I don’t know who else on this team can score, or at least shoot, when absolutely necessary. Azzi has a pretty quick release, maybe it’ll be her turn now.
Just watch the Fairfield vs Texas from last year and even though Lou was in foul trouble she still held her team in the game. Similar to Paige vs South Carolina. Lou can get her shot off against anybody. She will be a better option then Evina or Christyn. Azzi can score against anybody if we set her up thru picks. Caroline can score against anybody. She led us for almost half a season. This year hopefully healthy and a sophmore jump she will become one of our main scorers. Our bigs will be servicable unless other teams give our bigs the outside shot and Amari starts to light it up. Don't forget Aubrey who can be a dominate force and if healthy can be a big contributor. The freshmen will at some point contribute because they are really good. I lioke others are hopeful and can't wait to pull up a chair and watch Geno fire up the engine.

Reaction Score
Nice, but simple breakdown of UConn without Paige. This doesn’t even address the new players.
It will hurt, but barring additional injuries we will be fine.

I guess it depends on what "fine" means. But I'll be watching every game and hoping for the best.

Reaction Score
Just watch the Fairfield vs Texas from last year and even though Lou was in foul trouble she still held her team in the game. Similar to Paige vs South Carolina. Lou can get her shot off against anybody. She will be a better option then Evina or Christyn. Azzi can score against anybody if we set her up thru picks. Caroline can score against anybody. She led us for almost half a season. This year hopefully healthy and a sophmore jump she will become one of our main scorers. Our bigs will be servicable unless other teams give our bigs the outside shot and Amari starts to light it up. Don't forget Aubrey who can be a dominate force and if healthy can be a big contributor. The freshmen will at some point contribute because they are really good. I lioke others are hopeful and can't wait to pull up a chair and watch Geno fire up the engine.
I agree with your reading of the possibilities, especially with regard to Lou. She can get her shot off against top level competition. At UConn, it will be less challenging since she won’t be the main offensive threat and we’re better at setting screens. The only question is will her D be good enough to keep her on the floor.

As for Azzi and Caroline, each has already shown the ability to carry the scoring load on their own when the other was out. I want to see if they can figure out to use each other to score even more. I’m confident either one could average 20pts as the primary scorer. I’m curious to see if both of them could average 20pts this year. Like twin towers, they’d be twin cannons, and opponents would be terrified of them.

I also remember how often Christyn was the receiver of long passes on the break. I also remember Caroline’s ability to throw long passes off of steals the way Evina could. I’m picturing Caroline finding Azzi and Nika and Lou in that same way. Our pressure D might generate a lot of points in just that way, with Caroline and Ice making the long outlet passes. They’ve both shown they know how to do it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The most important thing for this season is for everybody to get healthy. There is a thread about Caroline being ready to start the season. For me we need her healthy along with Azzi Dorka and Nika. They need to be able to go full strength against top teams especially early on. Ice and Yanna were ranked in the top 5 players out of HS. I believe that with our height we can handle any team down low. I also believe with our shooters we can keep defenses honest. Lets face it Azzi is going to draw alot of attention from defenses. That should open things up for everybody else. Everything should fall into place so long as we are healthy. Azzi Caroline and Dorka are at the top of the list. One other point all 3 will need rest and not to be pushed to hard and that includes practice. They may be healed and that would be great but we can not take the chance of reinjuring any player. With that said I expect to see more players play and a deeper lineup.

Reaction Score
While everyone would rather have Paige out there, having an ultra quick, great defending team as I suspect UConn will be this year, may be the formula to beat South Carolina and the other 3-5 top teams. Geno will certainly stress rebounding but no matter how many weights are lifted or how much boxing out is taught, its unlikely any team can match SC's size and strength. If a few of the new pieces come toghter, few should be able to match UConn's motion offense and defense. Not fully sure how the season will turn out but Huskies are clearly a top 5 team and any time Geno can coach a team deep into the playoffs, I get exited.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking rebounding will be more important for us this year. We are going to miss more shots for one thing. Another is Ayanna, who might be one of the top rebounders in college basketball for all we know. She has potential to be a force.

Reaction Score
If fully healthy, could Aubrey become another Gabby Williams? Gabby was absolutely tremendous, and Aubrey is couple inches taller I believe, in high school I read Aubrey showed good outside shot, which Gabby developed. Wouldn't that be nice!

Reaction Score
Only the season ahead will tell us:
What contribution will Ayanna P and Ice Brady make?
Add Amari Deberry to this- will she be an important factor this season?
Will Aubrey be back and really able to play & score & defend?
Of course, there also is:
Will Nika be the point guard we want- manage the offense and score too?
Will Azzi and Caroline begin to dominate games?
Starting forward/centers Dorka and Aaliyah- will they give dependable points & solid rebounding?
Will Lou become another scoring contributor?

Reaction Score
Ice and Yanna were ranked in the top 5 players out of HS.
By my ranking, they were #1 and #2
Geno will certainly stress rebounding but no matter how many weights are lifted or how much boxing out is taught, its unlikely any team can match SC's size and strength.
I think the rebounding question is a little more complicated. We don't send 4 to the boards at either end because we play for the transition game. This is a gamble, but over the years it's paid off. This means we're not going to win the rebounding battle every night. But the fact is last year SC averaged 71 pts and 48 rebounds while we averaged 75 points and 39 rebounds -- and we did that without Paige most of the year, of course, but also with an injury riddled team.

This year, I think we could be even stronger than SC across the front court, though not taller, depending on how quickly Ice and Ayanna can contribute. Obviously we have no winning matchup for Boston -- Dorka and Amari just have to keep her from dominating the floor. But Saxton struggled against Aaliyah two years ago, and barely held her own last year. Much as I admire Victaria's game, the fact is Aaliyah is too strong and quick for her and that difference is likely to be even more pronounced this year. Two years ago, she barely held her own against Aubrey. I wonder how she'll do against Aaliyah with Aubrey and Ice spelling her. It might not be pretty. Dawn could go to the twin towers with Cardoso for more of the game, but then they become a quite slow team, or Amihere but she can't outmuscle Aaliyah on the boards.

After the front court starters, I think we could have the advantage if Ice and Ayanna develop well. I don't think SC would have anyone who could matchup with them -- certainly not Saxton or Amihere -- and having to try could prove exhausting. This is just a guess, but I'm pretty confident in this one.

As for the 3 position, I don't think that's even close. Beal is an excellent wing on D, only so-so on O. But she's going to be stuck trying to contain Azzi, just as she pulled Paige duty the last two years, and that's bound to be a losing battle for her, just as it is for us with Boston. But who's going to contain Caroline and Lou? I don't think Cooke is up to that battle, and I think she'll get a lot of Nika attention.

Of course the season may not turn out this way -- Amari and the freshmen may not develop, Aubrey may not recover her strength and speed, Nika might struggle on O, someone else might get injured. All sorts of things could go wrong. But if things go as I predict...

Reaction Score
We have a team of studs who will step up. We showed everyone last season that our team that was full of injuries, with a very tuff bracket in the NCAAs, found the resilience to beat some very tuff teams and make it to the finals. We're a year older and healthier and once again Paigeless. Geno has a few months to get his team up to speed without Paige. After reading the threads there was a question and comments about another point guard. I do remember someone mentioning Azzi can play the point. However she is UConns shooting guard so that most likely wont be an option. With Nika foul prone we will need somebody else who can play the point. We can not imo go into the season without another point guard. Nika plays aggressive defense and we need that however playing aggressive leads to fouls and that could spell trouble for UConn at the point if shes on the bench. With that said we need someone with experience. Our early season schedule is really tuff so experience at the point is essential. Im sure Geno and his coaching staff are looking at their options and Azzi Caroline and Lou will be mentored and if thats not an option then UConn will be looking for someone who is formattable.

We will miss Paige's leadership on the court. Her positive attitude, her ability to make plays, and take over games may not be replaceable. We do have the studs to pick up the scoring and we do have the height and depth underneath to dominate. It will take time for Ice and Yanna to get up to speed in their new environment. They have the skills to be great. It wont be throw them in a microwave and they come out ready to compete at the college level right away. It will take time and it will happen as the season progresses.

I expect Amari to surprise alot of people this season. She has the skills and she has a good shot. Her height will be a plus this season along with her ability to pass the ball inside. Azzi Caroline and Lou are great scorers. We've heard all about Lou and we saw what Azzi and Caroline can due when they were asked to step up. There are gonna be some bumps in the road as we set out for our quest to win another NC and those bumps will become learning experiences and make us better as we move forward.

The things that need to happen to make up for Paige not in the lineup will happen over the next few months which means we have time to get ready. I am very confident that this team even without Paige is a great team. I just read that ESPN has now UConn ranked 6th in their poll. They are in for a big surprise.
I think what really helps is the time Geno, the coaches, and the team have to prepare before the first game. There is time to make adjustments. Time that they didn't have last season. I'm still hopeful for the season and quite frankly, can't wait for it to start.

Kat

Reaction Score
Trust in Geno, always, but I am concerned with how this NIL thing is going to change college sports. I'm concerned that having a big-time TV package will be as important in recruiting players as coaches or programs.

Reaction Score
We have a team of studs who will step up. We showed everyone last season that our team that was full of injuries, with a very tuff bracket in the NCAAs, found the resilience to beat some very tuff teams and make it to the finals. We're a year older and healthier and once again Paigeless. Geno has a few months to get his team up to speed without Paige. After reading the threads there was a question and comments about another point guard. I do remember someone mentioning Azzi can play the point. However she is UConns shooting guard so that most likely wont be an option. With Nika foul prone we will need somebody else who can play the point. We can not imo go into the season without another point guard. Nika plays aggressive defense and we need that however playing aggressive leads to fouls and that could spell trouble for UConn at the point if shes on the bench. With that said we need someone with experience. Our early season schedule is really tuff so experience at the point is essential. Im sure Geno and his coaching staff are looking at their options and Azzi Caroline and Lou will be mentored and if thats not an option then UConn will be looking for someone who is formattable.

We will miss Paige's leadership on the court. Her positive attitude, her ability to make plays, and take over games may not be replaceable. We do have the studs to pick up the scoring and we do have the height and depth underneath to dominate. It will take time for Ice and Yanna to get up to speed in their new environment. They have the skills to be great. It wont be throw them in a microwave and they come out ready to compete at the college level right away. It will take time and it will happen as the season progresses.

I expect Amari to surprise alot of people this season. She has the skills and she has a good shot. Her height will be a plus this season along with her ability to pass the ball inside. Azzi Caroline and Lou are great scorers. We've heard all about Lou and we saw what Azzi and Caroline can due when they were asked to step up. There are gonna be some bumps in the road as we set out for our quest to win another NC and those bumps will become learning experiences and make us better as we move forward.

The things that need to happen to make up for Paige not in the lineup will happen over the next few months which means we have time to get ready. I am very confident that this team even without Paige is a great team. I just read that ESPN has now UConn ranked 6th in their poll. They are in for a big surprise.

Reaction Score

Totally agree. The team will be fine. If everyone starts the year off 100% healthy, the team will be fine.
You have to define " fine." In my view, there is no magic point guard out there who will arrive to back-up Nika. Is there a quality back-up BIG if Boston of South Carolina gets injured and is , suddenly, out for the season? I mean; can there be a player not a single major team has noticed was available? I think not. We are what we are. Talented and hopeful. But we have lost our starting quarterback. You want to pretend UCONN will be great, go right ahead. We all want that. But I, for one, say we took a huge hit to our ambitions for this season. And there is no way around it. No matter how much optimism abounds, I just can't get the loss of Paige out of my mind. She is ( arguably ) the most dependable and exciting talent in the women's college game. We had her and now we don't. It will show.

Reaction Score
You want to pretend UCONN will be great, go right ahead. We all want that. But I, for one, say we took a huge hit to our ambitions for this season. And there is no way around it. No matter how much optimism abounds, I just can't get the loss of Paige out of my mind. She is ( arguably ) the most dependable and exciting talent in the women's colle
Yes, that’s exactly what I intend to do. Pretending is all there is to do in the summer. This is no time for worrying about pesky reality. Also, we’re not on the coaching staff, so it’s not like our unrealistic dreams can hurt anything.

But, yes, I can’t get Paige’s injury out of my mind either. I share your pain. Thank goodness I don’t actually have to feel her pain.

Reaction Score
To be honest, my mind is all over the place about this season. Geno's vision, surely, had Paige as the foundation, so the house just fell down.

So, time to rebuild. I'm sure they're going over plans for the new building now. Will it be as nice? Nope. Will it still be livable? Sure.

Have trust in Geno always and again I say rejoice. HA HA!

My Take, UConn will lose a couple during the non-conference schedule. Probably still win the Big East easily. What happens in tournament? Not sure yet. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Too many variables and unknowns at this point to advance any predictions
1) Aubrey?
2) Dorka?
3) Azzi?
4) Caroline?
5) Lou2
6) Nika?
7) Amari?
8) Ayana?
9) Ice?
10) Aayleah?
See what I mean?
Not only will Geno & Company have to assemble a rotation and be prepared to evaluate and adjust as needed, but who knows what will go on at Creighton, DePaul, Villanova, and Marquette.
You should be right about winning the BE, but let’s not assume any gimmees.
Seems like everybody gives a little extra against the Huskies.
The OOC schedule will be tough as nails. A couple of losses are probable but which games will produce them?
The only given will be that nobody in Storrs will quit.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm thinking rebounding will be more important for us this year. We are going to miss more shots for one thing. Another is Ayanna, who might be one of the top rebounders in college basketball for all we know. She has potential to be a force.
I doubt Ayanna will be one of the top rebounders in college basketball. Not because she's not capable, but because of her teammates. Dorka averaged >10 for two years in the B1G, Edwards and Griffin who will likely both be around 6 rpg, Ice is an unknown, and a few guards who will likely be around 4, and it would be really tough for anyone to be much above 10 rpg.

Reaction Score
Who will they lose to in the early OOC schedule? Texas? NC St? Duke? Iowa? Other than Iowa, the whole list is teams who have had more roster change than us. Maryland, too. Notre Dame is the only game before New Year’s with a mainly returning roster. That’s the game I worry about.

Reaction Score
Texas, Notre Dame and Iowa should all be great games. NC State is probably stronger than lots of people will anticipate.

Reaction Score
Who knows what Ice and Ayanna will be but I really do think Ayanna can be potentially a great rebounder if she gets PT. The problem is she probably will not get more than 15 minutes PT unless we have major injuries in the front court. We are going to have to be patient with Ayanna but the payoff could be well worth it. This team has a much better chance in the PO if Ice and Ayanna are fully integrated and performing.

Reaction Score
The most important thing for this season is for everybody to get healthy. There is a thread about Caroline being ready to start the season. For me we need her healthy along with Azzi Dorka and Nika. They need to be able to go full strength against top teams especially early on. Ice and Yanna were ranked in the top 5 players out of HS. I believe that with our height we can handle any team down low. I also believe with our shooters we can keep defenses honest. Lets face it Azzi is going to draw alot of attention from defenses. That should open things up for everybody else. Everything should fall into place so long as we are healthy. Azzi Caroline and Dorka are at the top of the list. One other point all 3 will need rest and not to be pushed to hard and that includes practice. They may be healed and that would be great but we can not take the chance of reinjuring any player. With that said I expect to see more players play and a deeper lineup.
Let's face it. Everything everyone is suggesting is true. The team has talent and they will play hard. With luck, they will do very well. If you can imagine the Kansas City Chiefs losing Patrick Mahomes in pre-season to an ACL tear, you can better see the position UCONN is in. The games will be played. The team will compete. But when that unique talent is needed, it won't be there. This is a huge oss. And no amount of effort or hope can make up for it. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. Everything everyone is suggesting is true. The team has talent and they will play hard. With luck, they will do very well. If you can imagine the Kansas City Chiefs losing Patrick Mahomes in pre-season to an ACL tear, you can better see the position UCONN is in. The games will be played. The team will compete. But when that unique talent is needed, it won't be there. This is a huge oss. And no amount of effort or hope can make up for it. Sorry.
I don't think your analogy is entirely apt. This is more like if Tampa Bay lost Brady and Mahomes was his backup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom