Uconn WBB Program/Players | The Boneyard

Uconn WBB Program/Players

Reaction Score
After an epic performance against South Carolina in her biggest game to date at UConn, Freshman Paige Bueckers gave a Senior like performance at the Postgame interview that could serve as a recruiting ad for the program. Why am I not surprised?

An Alabama football fan since Bear Bryant days (relevance later), I and my younger daughter became UConn fans during Stewie's junior year. During her senior year we drove to Storrs for the Notre Dame game, did the Geno restaurant lunch and walked to Gampel hoping to catch shoot-around and practice. Doors were locked, and daughter became in need of a ladies room with none in sight. Doors opened and Stewie and Tuck walked out. She asked for directions to a ladies room, and both walked her to one inside Gampel. Since then, both of us will walk over glass for them.

The following year's undersized team - on and off the court - is my favorite, and arguably Geno and CD's best coaching performance during my fandom. I'll go to my grave believing Saniya was fouled in the last few seconds by Miss. State, and have no doubt they would have again dismantled Asia Wilson and South Carolina for the championship. Afterwards a gracious Geno made no complaints a la Wilson vs Nike balls, congratulated Miss. State, and complimented their players - especially Morgan William!

This past football season I was captivated by the Alabama football team, its cast of players who gave up turning pro to return for a final run, and ofcourse by Heisman winner Devonte Smith. Actually the truly electric Jalen Waddle was my pick before his unfortunate injury. After winning the trophy Smith gave a wonderfully modest speech, distributing credit to his teammates, coaching staff, school, family etc. That's who I compare Paige to, both on and off the court!

Geno's program is to WCBB what Nick Saban's is to college football. Both recruit and attract their own type of players who are attracted to and thrive on the challenges their programs provide. When both have special players, they are extraordinarily special. Certainly other teams have had them, Sabrina comes to mind. But both programs consistently attract and produce them like none of their competitors. That's how I see Paige Bueckers, the current freshman class, and am looking excitedly forward to next year's class.

Reaction Score
Paige is a generation player, so is Azzi I think. She will join DT, Maya and Breanna as one of the best UConn player in WNBA.

BTW any news about Saniya Chong? I do miss her.

Reaction Score
After an epic performance against South Carolina in her biggest game to date at UConn, Freshman Paige Bueckers gave a Senior like performance at the Postgame interview that could serve as a recruiting ad for the program. Why am I not surprised?

An Alabama football fan since Bear Bryant days (relevance later), I and my younger daughter became UConn fans during Stewie's junior year. During her senior year we drove to Storrs for the Notre Dame game, did the Geno restaurant lunch and walked to Gampel hoping to catch shoot-around and practice. Doors were locked, and daughter became in need of a ladies room with none in sight. Doors opened and Stewie and Tuck walked out. She asked for directions to a ladies room, and both walked her to one inside Gampel. Since then, both of us will walk over glass for them.

The following year's undersized team - on and off the court - is my favorite, and arguably Geno and CD's best coaching performance during my fandom. I'll go to my grave believing Saniya was fouled in the last few seconds by Miss. State, and have no doubt they would have again dismantled Asia Wilson and South Carolina for the championship. Afterwards a gracious Geno made no complaints a la Wilson vs Nike balls, congratulated Miss. State, and complimented their players - especially Morgan William!

This past football season I was captivated by the Alabama football team, its cast of players who gave up turning pro to return for a final run, and ofcourse by Heisman winner Devonte Smith. Actually the truly electric Jalen Waddle was my pick before his unfortunate injury. After winning the trophy Smith gave a wonderfully modest speech, distributing credit to his teammates, coaching staff, school, family etc. That's who I compare Paige to, both on and off the court!

Geno's program is to WCBB what Nick Saban's is to college football. Both recruit and attract their own type of players who are attracted to and thrive on the challenges their programs provide. When both have special players, they are extraordinarily special. Certainly other teams have had them, Sabrina comes to mind. But both programs consistently attract and produce them like none of their competitors. That's how I see Paige Bueckers, the current freshman class, and am looking excitedly forward to next year's class.
Great story!

Reaction Score

My father (RIP) went to school with Bear Bryant, who as you know played on the 'Bama football team. The star of that team was Don Hudson, the great wide receiver. The center was also an All-American who became a professional wrestler. Moons after my dad graduated, we went to see Tarzan White wrestle in Miami and met him after the bout. Such are the scant degrees of separation . . .

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My father (RIP) went to school with Bear Bryant, who as you know played on the 'Bama football team. The star of that team was Don Hudson, the great wide receiver. The center was also an All-American who became a professional wrestler. Moons after my dad graduated, we went to see Tarzan White wrestle in Miami and met him after the bout. Such are the scant degrees of separation . . .
Bear was the "other end" to Don Hutson at Bama. When Bear came to Bama, he had yet to graduate from high school. So he went to high school in Tuscaloosa and practiced with the college squad. He was a local character for many years around here. There was a restaurant in Birmingham that had a permanent table for him and his entourage. Did Coca Cola and Golden Flake commercials on local television. Quite a legend and adored by Bama fans. His grave is still regularly visited by the Crimson Tide faithful. The younger ones know Saban, but old timers still revere Bear.

Reaction Score
I'm writing this while watching Caitlin Clark - who BTW is pals with Paige - shooting the lights out against Nebraska. She is a gunner, and her 3's are more like 4's. She also hit a 5 in last second of 1Q. If Azzi Fudd is even better, I can't wait. But make no mistake, Clark is also the real deal.

Reaction Score
Bear was the "other end" to Don Hutson at Bama. When Bear came to Bama, he had yet to graduate from high school. So he went to high school in Tuscaloosa and practiced with the college squad. He was a local character for many years around here. There was a restaurant in Birmingham that had a permanent table for him and his entourage. Did Coca Cola and Golden Flake commercials on local television. Quite a legend and adored by Bama fans. His grave is still regularly visited by the Crimson Tide faithful. The younger ones know Saban, but old timers still revere Bear.
Geno and The Bear were also similar. Geno sat down Stewie and Morgan Tuck in the third UConn game I ever watched for not playing by his standard, and didn't care if he lost in the process. They got the message and performed brilliantly thereafter.
My all-time favorite Alabama player Joe Namath (until those awful social security ads) was benched in his sophomore year before the Orange Bowl game, which Alabama won with 4 field goals. Joe Willie too got the message, and the rest is history.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Paige is a generation player, so is Azzi I think. She will join DT, Maya and Breanna as one of the best UConn player in WNBA.

1613512994558.png
1613513805152.png
Not sure what Sanyia is doing currently.I believe she has been living in China and as far as I can tell not playing bball currently ( attached 2 photos from her instagram.

Reaction Score

Saniya Chong and John Groover, a 6’ 4” shooting guard most recently with the Xinjiang Flying Tigers, have been dating. John Groover is originally from Buffalo, so besides basketball they both have hailing from upstate New York in common. Without getting too much more into their personal lives, I‘ll just say that Mr. Groover seems understandably very enamored with Saniya, and I wish them both the best!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom