UConn vs South Carolina Still just another Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs South Carolina Still just another Game

Reaction Score
While it is a great game to watch every year. With Top 5 schools with top of the line recruits and 2 high profile coaches. This is just another game and still hasn't reached rivalry level and I don't see it happening any time soon.
A rivalry with an out of conference school is hard to get started. Their games are really meaningless except for bragging rights for that year. It's a great game to draw fan interest in the Womens Basketball. The only thing it does is change the position in the polls for the following week.
Everyone knows the History how UConn and Tennessee became rivals in the 1995 season. The New Kids on the Block beat the Greatest Team, Coach and Program on MLK holiday to become No 1 in the Country for the first time ever! It still wasn't at rivalry status but the New Kids managed to get under the OGs skin! Then they met again in the NC game with most people picking the Lady Vols to win it all and they almost did. But the Huskies came back and won their first NC! THE Rivalry was Born! What a rivalry it was with the teams going back in forth with winning games and both teams winning NCs. What separted the 2 were the 4 times Connecticut beat them in the NC Game!
No other out of conference team has really developed a rivalry with UConn since Tennessee. Those 2 games also helped put Womens Basketball on the map!
Will and can UConn and South Carolina ever reach rivalry status. It is possible but right now it's just a great game between 2 great programs.

Nice post but I disagree with your contention that it not a rivalry and just another game.
Here's why:
  • We often compete to recruit the same player(s) (which in itself is a rivalry!)
  • The relationship between the HC's - to a degree Geno has mentored Dawn
  • Both teams are perennially in the top 5 nationally and tournament seedings are heavily influenced by the outcome of our games.
  • The lone SC NC was a derivative of Mississippi State upsetting UCONN
Proof that a rivalry exists is the presence of regular SC posters on our Board - even more than ND posters!
UCONN vs SC is so much more than just another game, for sure.

Reaction Score
Since the term "rivalry" is a subjective term, there is no right or wrong answer. This game took on more significance because it was a #1 vs #2 match-up. If UCONN and SC stay at the top of the rankings and continue to play, it will become a rivalry.
There is something to be said of how UCONN is both respected and hated. There is no doubt , in anyone's mind, that they are the pinnacle of WCBB. A victory against them , because its so rare, takes on more significance for the victor.
Listen to Mike Neighbors of Arkansas' press conference after their victory. Probably one of the biggest moments of his coaching career and said that it could have tremendous value in recruiting. So, Dawn Staley's reaction is totally understandable after losing a close game to us.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It is just natural as an opponent program starts to be a credible threat (on the court or recruiting), we will start finding fault and develop less than kind feelings. Some people more than others. That just adds to the fun.
Mmmm, I don’t see it that way. I think it’s more a case of just noticing them and including them in the conversation. I don’t think anyone on The Boneyard really dislikes the gamecocks or Dawn. But, as a national champion, "unanimous banner hanger" and rising power, they are definitely on the radar now. But dislike, not so much. Now, when Dawn blames her lost to us in March madness due to floor varnish, we may be a step closer to rivalry.

“We had our team prepared for a satin finish, not semi gloss. For semi gloss you have to be much more careful with your cuts and traction...”

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Talking about rivalries, I paid a visit to VolNation the other day. They have the equivalent of the BY’s General Basketball page in the form of a thread. Evidently, there were quite a number of LV fans watching our game on Monday night, routing for the Gamecocks to bury us.

Several pages of posts ran the gamut from disappointment for UConn’s victory to numerous posts indicating that the Huskies are really not that good. One poster went as far as to make the strange argument that, “UConn can’t be that good if they hav to play 3 freshmen.” Say what?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Game was very important, imo. Based on a weaker strength of schedule for UConn (fewer games against elite teams), the win basically sowed up a #1 seed, probably a #1 overall seed if they win out, which they should. This could make a difference in terms of E8 & FF matchups. It also gives the players confidence they can beat anyone. No one will be a worse matchup for UConn than SC, because of their size & speed combo. Why they didnt feed Boston more is beyond me.
Responding to the "why they didn't feed Boston more" I'm no baskeball expert and didn't stay at a holiday Inn, but Boston looked totally gassed at the end of the game. AE was doing a decent game matching Boston's physicality and she also had four fouls and was probably more tentative; and on the last play where she had 2 bunnies to win, she didn't rise off the floor - iirc she was flat footed and tired.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Mmmm, I don’t see it that way. I think it’s more a case of just noticing them and including them in the conversation. I don’t think anyone on The Boneyard really dislikes the gamecocks or Dawn. But, as a national champion, unanimous banner hanger and rising power, they are definitely on the radar now. But dislike, not so much. Now, when Dawn blames her lost to us in March madness due to floor varnish, we may be a step closer to rivalry.

“ We had our team prepared for a satin finish, not semi gloss. For semi gloss you have to be much more careful with your cuts and traction...”
Rivalry - when your star player at the end of the game runs over and punches a stanchion padding and says "I just needed to hit something orange", that is a rivalry. We're not there yet with SC!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Talking about rivalries, I paid a visit to VolNation the other day. They have the equivalent of the BY’s General Basketball page in the form of a thread. Evidently, there were quite a number of LV fans watching our game on Monday night, routing for the Gamecocks to bury us.

Several pages of posts ran the gamut from disappointment for UConn’s victory to numerous posts indicating that the Huskies are really not that good. One poster went as far as to make the strange argument that, “UConn can’t be that good if they hav to play 3 freshmen.” Say what?
However, a number of the posts were very complimentary of Paige and her ability. There was even a comment saying the thought of Ducharme coming next season is scary. But yes, they make a number of negative comments about UConn. They probably don't like UConn very much and really don't like Geno.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Nice post. I largely agree. A few comments:

I don’t see Staley getting a lot of “hate” from UConn fans. In fact, an awful lot of people on this board are pretty complementary of Dawn and the program. Nor do I see a lot of people wanting “to knock the program back in the purgatory.”

Truth be told, we kind of like you guys. You are a good program, with a good head coach and talented players and, for the most part, polite, informed, and courteous fans that stop by our board. Now, that doesn’t insulate you when you do silly things like putting up the unanimous number one banner or Dawn complaining about the ball in our last game. Those are things that are always going to attract the attention and commentary of other fan bases.

I think that you may be misinterpreting a lot of the posts and this site after the game. A lot of them are less about South Carolina, say and more about 1) winning another one versus two match up and 2) our excitement over the development of our very young team and particularly Paige.

All that said, I agree with you it’s not quite a rivalry game but it is a good game that both fan bases, and women’s basketball fans in general, look forward to. I hope we keep the series going.
I know you are experienced in sports, just take a moment to think about a few things that went into a few of my posts on this subject. The preeminent rivalry in the game-no. What could become a rivalry a big maybe. Do we hate SC or Dawn no. If you are competitive minded, there is no one you would rather beat than the coach, players, institution that you are close to. Did you ever try harder to beat anyone more than those people, were there ever more fiercely contested matchups. Not in my life time, bragging rights, no hate like with TN or ND, but is it not possible to have a rivalry without hate? I don't know about any others but while I don't hate the SC players they sure would never make my Christmas card list, in fact I don't care for them at all. I could also dislike Ms. Dawn for a few hours as well.
Yes keep the series going by all means. Thanks for a thought provoking post, I enjoy it when posters make me think. Enjoy the game tonight.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Nice post. I largely agree. A few comments:

I don’t see Staley getting a lot of “hate” from UConn fans. In fact, an awful lot of people on this board are pretty complementary of Dawn and the program. Nor do I see a lot of people wanting “to knock the program back in the purgatory.”

Truth be told, we kind of like you guys. You are a good program, with a good head coach and talented players and, for the most part, polite, informed, and courteous fans that stop by our board. Now, that doesn’t insulate you when you do silly things like putting up the unanimous number one banner or Dawn complaining about the ball in our last game. Those are things that are always going to attract the attention and commentary of other fan bases.

I think that you may be misinterpreting a lot of the posts and this site after the game. A lot of them are less about South Carolina and more about 1) winning another one versus two match up and 2) our excitement over the development of our very young team and particularly Paige.

All that said, I agree with you it’s not quite a rivalry game but it is a good game that both fan bases, and women’s basketball fans in general, look forward to. I hope we keep the series going.
Thanks! I clearly love the Boneyard because I keep coming back ha.. but seriously, it’s a great place to talk women’s basketball. College and pro.

The purgatory comment was referring more so to the SEC. As a program, we used to live at the bottom of the league so to now be at the top consistently for the last 7 or so years is impressive. Every league game we play we get our opponents best game because of our previous bottom dwelling status. Every team in the league wants to have a “rivalry” with SC.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Thanks! I clearly love the Boneyard because I keep coming back ha.. but seriously, it’s a great place to talk women’s basketball. College and pro.

The purgatory comment was referring more so to the SEC. As a program, we used to live at the bottom of the league so to now be at the top consistently for the last 7 or so years is impressive. Every league game we play we get our opponents best game because of our previous bottom dwelling status. Every team in the league wants to have a “rivalry” with SC.
National champions always have a target on their backs. For most teams you are their biggest game of the year. That's part of what makes it so difficult to sustain success. I'm confident that Dawn and the SC athletic department will navigate that just fine.

(FWIW, I appreciate your AD going after Calhoun (and Geno?) shows that you are committed to excellence.)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Every conference game is by nature a rivalry. The big question is does it pass the smell test as a big time rivalry with national implications. SC is no doubt big time, one of the teams others use to measure themselves against. Glad you found the BY. Other good points of view make the site better.

Reaction Score
I just think this is actually a case where the competitiveness of the SEC works against SC. When Tennessee v UConn was the dominating rivalry in the sport, the SEC was different.. sure, there were some good Auburn, LSU and Georgia teams here and there but there was nowhere near the commitment to WBB across the board in the SEC as there is now. Tennessee had space to establish a rivalry with UConn because it was almost an afterthought that the Lady Vols were going to dominate the SEC.

Nowadays, while South Carolina does dominate the SEC, the margin of error in the conference is slimmer. There are just more good programs in the SEC now than back then. This current season has probably been one of the most competitive in quite some time, for example. A&M and Tennessee are 1 game back from SC as we speak. As long as the SEC is uber competitive, conference games are always going to be more important than an OOC game. And I think "importance" is the foundation of a rivalry. If the winner of a game doesn't matter then there are no real stakes involved. I think what took Miss State v SC overboard was meeting them in the national title game. All gloves were off after that. Perhaps UConn v SC needs the same.

I don't agree. This year the competitiveness of your conference is a big positive. Who has SC beaten in OOC? Thus this year your conference has legitimized your toughness. This year - this loss means little that you lost. But frankly if you won - a potential big debate would have been if Geno is slipping and Dawn is the new UCONN." OFC the NCAA's will tell a story too.

And with your recruiting class coming up - you'll probably continue to dominate the SEC. Which is great. But this upcoming class along with your current soph class - you have to beat other top teir teams outside of your conference in the future just like you did last year- otherwise Dawn runs an enormous risk of getting out-recruited in the future.

This year imo the game more important to UCONN - and good we came through. In contrast SC lost the two big games vs top 5 teams and yet they still remain in top 4 "because" of your conference not "in spite" of it.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I don't agree. This year the competitiveness of your conference is a big positive. Who has SC beaten in OOC? Thus this year your conference has legitimized your toughness. This year - this loss means little that you lost. But frankly if you won - a potential big debate would have been if Geno is slipping and Dawn is the new UCONN." OFC the NCAA's will tell a story too.

And with your recruiting class coming up - you'll probably continue to dominate the SEC. Which is great. But this upcoming class along with your current soph class - you have to beat other top teir teams outside of your conference in the future just like you did last year- otherwise Dawn runs an enormous risk of getting out-recruited in the future.

This year imo the game more important to UCONN - and good we came through. In contrast SC lost the two big games vs top 5 teams and yet they still remain in top 4 "because" of your conference not "in spite" of it.
Yes 100%

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Another ingredient of a rivalry is that the players and coaches should be chomping at the bit to play each other. Baylor had the potential to be our next rival after ND, but Mulkey is selective about when they will play us. On the one hand that gives them a better record against us than SC, but I actually have less respect for them. Staley is in the Summitt/Auriemma mode of playing anyone, anytime. I have great respect for that and would welcome them becoming our next real rival.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While it is a great game to watch every year. With Top 5 schools with top of the line recruits and 2 high profile coaches. This is just another game and still hasn't reached rivalry level and I don't see it happening any time soon.
A rivalry with an out of conference school is hard to get started. Their games are really meaningless except for bragging rights for that year. It's a great game to draw fan interest in the Womens Basketball. The only thing it does is change the position in the polls for the following week.
Everyone knows the History how UConn and Tennessee became rivals in the 1995 season. The New Kids on the Block beat the Greatest Team, Coach and Program on MLK holiday to become No 1 in the Country for the first time ever! It still wasn't at rivalry status but the New Kids managed to get under the OGs skin! Then they met again in the NC game with most people picking the Lady Vols to win it all and they almost did. But the Huskies came back and won their first NC! THE Rivalry was Born! What a rivalry it was with the teams going back in forth with winning games and both teams winning NCs. What separted the 2 were the 4 times Connecticut beat them in the NC Game!
No other out of conference team has really developed a rivalry with UConn since Tennessee. Those 2 games also helped put Womens Basketball on the map!
Will and can UConn and South Carolina ever reach rivalry status. It is possible but right now it's just a great game between 2 great programs.
I respectfully disagree also. THIS game WAS NOT just another game. Here's why: with the cancelation of the Mississippi State, Louisville and Baylor games, this game became the BIGGEST and most noteworthy game on our schedule. It was against a top 5 team. UConn had no other top 5 teams left on their schedule. SC was number 1 when the ball tipped, but they were top 5 at the beginning of the season.

THIS GAME, more than any other game on our schedule (we all had it circled) would be used to measure UConn's growth and development to this point in the season, and a barometer (some will disagree I know) of how they may fair in the tournament against other top 10 teams.

It's impossible to measure your readiness for March against BIG East teams. DePaul and Marquette are the closest teams we have to an elite top 10 team. UConn handled them both pretty good. If we make it to the final four, we will have to get by 1-2 top ten teams. Probably a 2 seed (unless they get knocked off) in the regional championship round. Had we gotten blown out, the critics and naysayers in the Boneyard would have had a field day, and their readiness would be in doubt.

How would you feel if UConn had lost by 20? It would have been difficult to go into the tournament having your butt handed to you by the only top 10 team you played this season. But they won. It took a herculean effort by Paige (Miss Magic) Bueckers to do it, but they did it! We won!!

I didn't think SC looked that tough or intimidating. Arkansas looked tougher and gave us a better game than SC did. The win left me happy and very optimistic about our chances in the tournament. There are always dark horses in the tournament field (Arkansas) looming in the shadows waiting to strike. You can't take any team for granted. It's happened in the men's and women's tournament. A 16 seed has knocked off a 1 seed. It's no longer "unthinkable." :eek:

As far as a rivalry goes, in my opinion, there are two types of rivalries, friendly and heated. Tennessee was/is heated. The fan bases don't like each other period! Notre Dame is somewhat heated only because Muffet McGraw fanned the fames with rancor type remarks made during several tournaments. There is no love lost between these two fan bases either.

I consider Baylor and South Carolina "friendly" rivalries. The coaches exchange Christmas cards, and the fan bases don't hate each other. I hope our current home and home series with ND, Baylor and SC continues going forward. I'd also like to see Louisville, Arkansas and Texas added to their yearly OOC lineup. Great games for all, and a good recruiting tool as well. I think all of these coaches would welcome a preseason game with UConn. I don't believe any of these coaches would duck us. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice post but I disagree with your contention that it not a rivalry and just another game.
Here's why:
  • We often compete to recruit the same player(s) (which in itself is a rivalry!)
  • The relationship between the HC's - to a degree Geno has mentored Dawn
  • Both teams are perennially in the top 5 nationally and tournament seedings are heavily influenced by the outcome of our games.
  • The lone SC NC was a derivative of Mississippi State upsetting UCONN
Proof that a rivalry exists is the presence of regular SC posters on our Board - even more than ND posters!
UCONN vs SC is so much more than just another game, for sure.
It's not about Geno and Dawn because Dawn isn't in his league. Recruiting really has nothing to do with it because Wilson who UConn recruited lost all her games against the Huskies by double digits with the last 2 by 30 points each. Mississippi State beating UConn has nothing to do with that NC. None of that makes a rivalry. The lone tournament game UConn was up 28 at the half with Dawn calling her first timeout with 1 minute and 28 seconds left in the half.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree also. THIS game WAS NOT just another game. Here's why: with the cancelation of the Mississippi State, Louisville and Baylor games, this game became the BIGGEST and most noteworthy game on our schedule. It was against a top 5 team. UConn had no other top 5 teams left on their schedule. SC was number 1 when the ball tipped, but they were top 5 at the beginning of the season.

THIS GAME, more than any other game on our schedule (we all had it circled) would be used to measure UConn's growth and development to this point in the season, and a barometer (some will disagree I know) of how they may fair in the tournament against other top 10 teams.

It's impossible to measure your readiness for March against BIG East teams. DePaul and Marquette are the closest teams we have to an elite top 10 team. UConn handled them both pretty good. If we make it to the final four, we will have to get by 1-2 top ten teams. Probably a 2 seed (unless they get knocked off) in the regional championship round. Had we gotten blown out, the critics and naysayers in the Boneyard would have had a field day, and their readiness would be in doubt.

How would you feel if UConn had lost by 20? It would have been difficult to go into the tournament having your butt handed to you by the only top 10 team you played this season. But they won. It took a herculean effort by Paige (Miss Magic) Bueckers to do it, but they did it! We won!!

I didn't think SC looked that tough or intimidating. Arkansas looked tougher and gave us a better game than SC did. The win left me happy and very optimistic about our chances in the tournament. There are always dark horses in the tournament field (Arkansas) looming in the shadows waiting to strike. You can't take any team for granted. It's happened in the men's and women's tournament. A 16 seed has knocked off a 1 seed. It's no longer "unthinkable." :eek:

As far as a rivalry goes, in my opinion, there are two types of rivalries, friendly and heated. Tennessee was/is heated. The fan bases don't like each other period! Notre Dame is somewhat heated only because Muffet McGraw fanned the fames with rancor type remarks made during several tournaments. There is no love lost between these two fan bases either.

I consider Baylor and South Carolina "friendly" rivalries. The coaches exchange Christmas cards, and the fan bases don't hate each other. I hope our current home and home series with ND, Baylor and SC continues going forward. I'd also like to see Louisville, Arkansas and Texas added to their yearly OOC lineup. Great games for all, and a good recruiting tool as well. I think all of these coaches would welcome a preseason game with UConn. I don't believe any of these coaches would duck us. :)
If UConn and Stanford start playing again that would be their top rivalry just on what they have done to UConn in the past.

Reaction Score
It's not about Geno and Dawn because Dawn isn't in his league. Recruiting really has nothing to do with it because Wilson who UConn recruited lost all her games against the Huskies by double digits with the last 2 by 30 points each. Mississippi State beating UConn has nothing to do with that NC. None of that makes a rivalry. The lone tournament game UConn was up 28 at the half with Dawn calling her first timeout with 1 minute and 28 seconds left in the half.
I respectfully disagree. Please refer to my other contentions and, most certainly, UCONN being upset by Miss St most certainly aided SC in their championship. What do you have to say about the mutual courting of Boston or Amihere?

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I guess a “rivalry” means different things to different people. To me, a rivalry is something that is established over time, not over night. Every coach in America is loyal to their players and their support groups, as they should be.

If asked, I think the majority of coaches would say they are only interested in winning as many games and championships as they can at any given time in their career regardless of what school they are currently at.

What do the folks here that are throwing shade at Dawn (and any other coach) want or expect her to do? Bow down to Geno and kiss his rings? :eek: What other coach is doing that? Why are some of us so consumed with what she or any other coach or program is doing?

I prefer to mind my own watch fire, and concentrate solely on MY players and program, and focus on the grand prize. The reason why we play the game, to win championships. You can’t make people or fans of other programs like you. So why bother? Aren’t we happy and confident in our own skin? Do we need the approval and sanction of others? I don't think so!!!

To me, acknowledging (or seeking approval from) anyone or anything outside of our family of players, fans and supporters is a distraction. Distractions we don’t need. Distractions are a detriment to any program. Nothing would please me more than to see THIS team win the national championship, while the other coaches and fan bases look on with envy and disgust. When you win, and do it with class, and without throwing shade at your rivals or would-be rivals, makes it all the better and very satisfying. ?

They won’t like you, but they will respect you and what you are doing, and the legacy you are creating. Many will secretly try to copy and emulate your style and approach. Some will even request to attend your practices, hoping to pick up some pointers and ideas on how to raise their program to the level of yours.

My time is too valuable to be concerned about Dawn Staley or any other WBB coach. I don’t give a tinker's damn what Dawn (whom I really don’t have any dislike for) or anyone else does or thinks about Geno or our program.
Al Davis summed it up very nicely with 3 simple words..........”just win baby.” When you do that, everything else will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a very important win because it proved to the UConn players that they could get a clutch win against top competition.

The UConn-Tenn, rivalry is unique because it attracts fans who do not normally watch women's basketball. Many probably don't even know that the two teams have not played each other for a while. It attained a magical status, an ancient, mystical combat that draws fans of sport to it.

ESPN, of course, strove mightily to create it and strives to maintain it. But, it is still intriguing that it worked.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Please refer to my other contentions and, most certainly, UCONN being upset by Miss St most certainly aided SC in their championship. What do you have to say about the mutual courting of Boston or Amihere?
Where SC recruiting picked up was when Dawn got the HC job for the National Team. The first big player they both went after was Aja but that was a hometown thing mainly. That put them more in contention for the top recruits than anything else. Dawn wanted Paige and Azzi and they ended up. The top 2 programs in the East just like UConn recruited against Duke, North Carolina Virginia and NC State back in the day. Recruiting goes in cycles especially nowadays with parents, coaches and friends in their ear. I'm waiting for this new transfer rule to explode with transfers because of those 3 reasons. Kids don't like their playing time or rules of the team. Don't be surprised if we see half of teams leaving especially the teams with over 10 players.

Reaction Score

Really nothing on the court has made this any kind of rivalry. Different leagues, Uconn up 9-1 in the series, until Monday all games decided by double digits and the one tournament game they played Huskies were up 30 before halftime. With UConns history with Baylor and Stanford there's a better rivalry there. Those two teams won their share against UConn. Louisville has beaten UConn once in the last 25 years and played them for Conference and 2 National Championships and that's some what a rivalry because the last 2 games they played were close with the Cardinals winning one but before that UConn pretty much won easily.

Reaction Score
It was a very important win because it proved to the UConn players that they could get a clutch win against top competition.

The UConn-Tenn, rivalry is unique because it attracts fans who do not normally watch women's basketball. Many probably don't even know that the two teams have not played each other for a while. It attained a magical status, an ancient, mystical combat that draws fans of sport to it.

ESPN, of course, strove mightily to create it and strives to maintain it. But, it is still intriguing that it worked.
It helped measure where they are at as a team. Nothing else.

Reaction Score
It’s not a heated rivalry in the traditional sense, but it’s a fun series for bragging rights... and there's nothing wrong with that. Rivalries can and do change over time, something Husky fans should know well given their rivalries with Tennessee and Notre Dame. A great rivalry has great personalities (players and coaches), great moments (last minute shots, player skirmishes, etc.) and great competitiveness/continuity (continued meaningful games). SC v. UConn has the first big time, Geno and Dawn are titans in the game.. but doesn't really have the last two. We've only once met in a game of any real significance, so the winner and loser of this game hasn't really suffered because of the series.

I will say, UConn fans were rightfully dismissive of this series prior to last season. Many of them probably thought that SC would never beat UConn, so when it happened, especially in the fashion that it did happen, it was a gut punch for them. This year, there was a noticeable excitement from Husky fans prior to the game and once the Huskies won The Boneyard was downright celebratory in a way that I really haven't seen during a regular season game since I started posting here. UConn fans REALLY wanted that game, beyond just wanting a win I surmise. Judging from the number of topic threads created for that ONE game, Husky fans wanted the win for a variety of reasons..

I have noticed a growing vitriol on both sides. UConn is the traditional powerhouse. Geno is the Krzyzewski of Women's basketball, the coach that opposing fanbases respect but also hate with a passion. Everybody wants to beat UConn, not just South Carolina. SC fans have no real reason to hate UConn other than the fact that UConn is the best program in the sport. We want to be one of the best programs in the sport, and how do you do that.. by challenging the best program in the sport. That doesn't make it a rivalry, yet at least. UConn used to beat SC like a drum in games that would essentially be over after the 1st quarter. That's changing, which shows the elevation of SC as a program.. which could be something UConn fans are picking up on, a trajectory they once saw their own program make. I think a lot of the vitriol from Husky fans towards SC is due to the Gamecocks' growing clout in the sport.. it's not jealousy but more of a thing of wanting to smackdown an upstart. I think Dawn also has a role here. She's brash, opinionated and polarizing.. in other words, she's a lot like Geno. I think Husky fans subconsciously pick up on that as well, and a lot of the hate she receives from Husky fans boils down to that.

I don't know if SC v UConn will ever become a true rivalry. There are good ingredients. Both programs have elite coaches, elite players, passionate fanbases.. but something is missing and I can't quite put my finger on it. SC v Vic Schaefer's Miss State was well on it's way to classic rivalry status, those games had IT. Again, I don't know what it is but it's likely due to games that mattered. We knew Miss State, it was a conference race against them constantly, it was FUN, and we always knew it was going to be us and them at the end. It mattered. SC v UConn doesn't have that yet. Most SC fans only really care about UConn for three days - the day before the game, the day of the game, and the day after the game... after that, we have to immediately turn the page and focus back on SEC play where we play every game against teams that try to knock us back to purgatory.

A great series that should continue being played? Yes. A true rivalry? Not yet.
Uconn was so happy to win this year because it was against the team that won the national championship last season.
Oh, that's right, SC DIDN'T WIN THE TITLE LAST YEAR! NOBODY DID!
Time to take down that absolute ridiculous joke of a banner. Show even a small spec of class. Act like you you been there before.
I know I'm asking a lot considering it's classless and clueless Dawn and SC but how about you try just a little bit.

Reaction Score
SC and UConn is a big game but not a rivalry. Like someone else mentioned it is a measuring stick game. Mississippi State was becoming a rivalry but this year game did not really feel like it. So it was probably inflated due to the vocal fan base. Dawn and Vic seemed to like each other and Vic was always gracious to SC. Tennessee should be the natural rivalry game since we supplanted them from the top. However they have been dwindling in the middle of the conference since SC rise to power. Since we play UConn every year it may one day become a rivalry. I would love to play Baylor every year but they like to pick and choose when they play you. Dawn hinted at awhile go trying to schedule Baylor but they waited after A'ja left to play us for the first time. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it worked out that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom