UConn vs South Carolina Still just another Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn vs South Carolina Still just another Game

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SC and UConn is a big game but not a rivalry. Like someone else mentioned it is a measuring stick game. Mississippi State was becoming a rivalry but this year game did not really feel like it. So it was probably inflated due to the vocal fan base. Dawn and Vic seemed to like each other and Vic was always gracious to SC. Tennessee should be the natural rivalry game since we supplanted them from the top. However they have been dwindling in the middle of the conference since SC rise to power. Since we play UConn every year it may one day become a rivalry. I would love to play Baylor every year but they like to pick and choose when they play you. Dawn hinted at awhile go trying to schedule Baylor but they waited after A'ja left to play us for the first time. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it worked out that way.
We need to improve our recruiting west of the Mississippi. I'm all for playing Pac-12 schools yearly.. it's also a different 'style' of ball that I enjoy seeing SEC schools go up against. I know it's hard getting players to come all the way east for programs not named UConn, but it's worth a shot.

Our OOC schedule should look similar to this every year:

1. Clemson
2. A North Carolina school (Duke, UNC or NC State now I guess)
3. A Big Ten school (Because we recruit heavily in the midwest, arguably our most important recruiting grounds outside of the southeast) or a school like Louisville or Notre Dame
4. A school west of the Mississippi, even better if it's Pac-12 (In the past we've had home & homes with Stanford, UCLA and USC.. would love to see an Oregon or Oregon State)
5. UConn (may as well continue it, right?)
6. Competitve OOC games against non-P5 schools (Temple, Gonzaga, etc)

Dawn does a really good job with our OOC, and if you look at our schedule for the last 5+ years it mostly reflects what I posted above.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Uconn was so happy to win this year because it was against the team that won the national championship last season.
Oh, that's right, SC DIDN'T WIN THE TITLE LAST YEAR! NOBODY DID!
Time to take down that absolute ridiculous joke of a banner. Show even a small spec of class. Act like you you been there before.
I know I'm asking a lot considering it's classless and clueless Dawn and SC but how about you try just a little bit.
This is a lesson on class. Thanks.

Reaction Score
This is a lesson on class. Thanks.
Yes it is.
It's mostly stating facts and what should clearly occur. But the 'Cocks will live up to their reputation and continue to delude themselves into thinking they won something last year.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The rivalry with Tennessee did not start with the 1995 game. It started with the 1995 PRE-game. When UConn came out of the locker room, Tennessee was warming up on the UConn side of the floor and proceeded to ignore requests to move to their own side of the court. That's how to start a rivalry.

SC is not a rivalry game in CT, but it is in SC. As a UConn fan in SC, what I see is Dawn trying to manufacture some type of legacy any way she can. She is trying to create a winning history out of incidents. She hangs her #1 banner and then puts up a bronze statue Aja (Boston may end up #2). Perhaps she can achieve the ranks reached by Tara, Kim, and Muffett but right now she is more among the ranks of Walz, Vic, and Graves. We will see how she progresses as Kara and Banghart cut into her regional dominance in recruiting.

Reaction Score
The rivalry with Tennessee did not start with the 1995 game. It started with the 1995 PRE-game. When UConn came out of the locker room, Tennessee was warming up on the UConn side of the floor and proceeded to ignore requests to move to their own side of the court. That's how to start a rivalry.

SC is not a rivalry game in CT, but it is in SC. As a UConn fan in SC, what I see is Dawn trying to manufacture some type of legacy any way she can. She is trying to create a winning history out of incidents. She hangs her #1 banner and then puts up a bronze statue Aja (Boston may end up #2). Perhaps she can achieve the ranks reached by Tara, Kim, and Muffett but right now she is more among the ranks of Walz, Vic, and Graves. We will see how she progresses as Kara and Banghart cut into her regional dominance in recruiting.
If UCONN put up bronze statues as quickly as does SC then by now we'd have literally put up 20+ statues. The entire outside front entrance of Gampel would be filled with statues.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
If UCONN put up bronze statues as quickly as does SC then by now we'd have literally put up 20+ statues. The entire outside front entrance of Gampel would be filled with statues.
Geno has a pitch he has used early in the year after winning a national championship. He explains that they are not defending the national championship. No one is going to come and take the trophy. Last year won that and it is over and done. That was last year's team. This year's team hasn't won anything. He puts championship in a perspective where they are nice, they signify you are meeting some goals, but they don't say anything about today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom