UConn vs Navy game thread | Page 43 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Navy game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...and they still passed it when every "expert" said they should run it. Much like today, every "expert" said pass it and not run it. Both results ended badly.
there aren't enough face palm memes on the Internet to deal with you right now. Enjoy the island you and Diaco inhabit where it's acceptable give yourself one chance to win rather than a minimum of two.

Reaction Score
Yea you're right no team should ever pass the ball at the goalline ever again because of that one play.. Seems like dopey Diaco let that, like you go to his head and we lost because of it.

My point, which you are mocking or ignoring (I can't tell), is that everyone said BeastMode should've run it and BS should've passed it. Neither one is, or was, ever guaranteed to work, but here are the "experts" to proclaim their way would've worked. Despite zero evidence it would.

Reaction Score
Zero evidence? Shirrefs was 23/26. Zero evidence? We had just been stuffed running the ball on the prior possession, but Shirrefs showed the ability to pass/scramble down the field. Zero evidence?

You know what was guaranteed to only give us one shot at scoring instead of two? Running the ball. That's why it was stupid.

And Lynch should have run because they had a timeout.

Making a point about guarantees is like saying life isn't fair. No . But there were options that gave us a better chance to win, and Diaco blew it. If you disagree fine, you're basically by yourself on that.

Reaction Score
My point, which you are mocking or ignoring (I can't tell), is that everyone said BeastMode should've run it and BS should've passed it. Neither one is, or was, ever guaranteed to work, but here are the "experts" to proclaim their way would've worked. Despite zero evidence it would.
It's doesn't matter if throwing definitely would've netted a TD or not. It's a free play. 2>1

Reaction Score

You don't give yourself 1 play. Never should come down to that. I don't know if it would've worked out or not but guess what it didn't take a rocket scientist to know we needed to throw after we burned our last precious TO. That was apparent to everybody but the guy who makes 2M a yr to make these decisions.

Reaction Score
I loved the last play..A handoff back to Johnson, a slow straight handoff that the world could see, for a straight up the middle attempt. great play call and extremely slow movement.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I loved the last play..A handoff back to Johnson, a slow straight handoff that the world could see, for a straight up the middle attempt. great play call and extremely slow movement.

It was pure New York Giants, circa 1973.

Reaction Score
It was an unbelievable play. everything that could go wrong by making that play did go wrong.

I heard a story once that Larry Csonka deliberately fumbled the ball because he couldn't stand the OC and wanted to get him fired, which he was a day or so later. According to the story, Csonka pleaded with the QB, Joe Piscarcik (sp?) to take a knee and not run the play called by the OC but Piscarcik didn't have the nerve and the rest is history. As a lifelong Eagle fan it was one of the best days of my life.

Reaction Score
I heard a story once that Larry Csonka deliberately fumbled the ball because he couldn't stand the OC and wanted to get him fired, which he was a day or so later. According to the story, Csonka pleaded with the QB, Joe Piscarcik (sp?) to take a knee and not run the play called by the OC but Piscarcik didn't have the nerve and the rest is history. As a lifelong Eagle fan it was one of the best days of my life.
I guess it would be for you. the most unlikely win I ever saw.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In retrospect it was the best thing that happened to the Giants since Tittle retired.

The real story is in the huddle Csonka told Pisarcik to take a knee. Pisarcik said 'I have to run the play they called' (the OC told Pisarcik he would bench him if he ever changed a play call). Csonka replied 'I won't take the handoff so don't try to give it to me'. Pisarcik didn't think Csonka was serious so he tried to hand off anyway. To make matters worse, Csonka ran far wider than he would have to take a handoff so Pisarcik had to lunge towards him and extend himself to try to get the ball to Csonka, making the fumble inevitable.

Reaction Score
Yea you're right no team should ever pass the ball at the goalline ever again because of that one play.. Seems like dopey Diaco let that, like you go to his head and we lost because of it.

Being a 'Hawks fan for the last 38 years, I've had about 20 months' time to ruminate over that life-draining, franchise-diminishing play (from my perspective) and talk about it with hundreds of other Seahawks fans. It will probably be with me until I croak. One timeout left, second and goal from the one. Ball snapped with 26 seconds left. With Wilson (who, like Shirreffs, can run) at QB, here are your options:

QB rollout to the right, with the option to pass or throw. Any pass should be thrown where only the receiver has a chance at the ball. The worst thing that should happen is that Wilson tries to score himself, gets tackled inbounds, and you have to burn the timeout.

QB throws a fade route into the end zone (preferably back corner, but sideline is acceptable), where only the receiver has a chance at the ball. Worst thing that should happen is an incomplete pass. An experienced QB can also check to see if anyone is uncovered, of course (based on pre-snap motion, it looked like Lynch was actually going to be open as a receiver on that play, and possibly TE Luke Willson)

Call a running play and let someone (most likely Lynch in that situation, but Wilson would be acceptable) try to push the ball over the goal line. This does risk a fumble, but the worst thing that should be expected is a tackle inbounds and a need to burn the timeout.

What the Seahawks chose: a pass play into the center of the field in which Wilson had no discretion to target another receiver besides Lockette once the ball was snapped (though the QB could have audibled out of the play if the Pats didn't follow WR Baldwin over to the left during pre-snap motion, which would have left Seattle with a 2-on-3 in terms of right-side wide receivers). Statistically, the risk of an INT on a pass from the one-yard-line was about 1%, but we all know what happened. Browner overmatched Kearse, and Butler had a lane to make his jump at the ball and snatch it out of Lockette's hands after Lockette cut behind Kearse and turned toward Wilson and the ball. Because the ball was thrown a little in front of Lockette rather than right on his body, Butler was able to get there first.

That one hurt from a strategy perspective because that particular pass play interjected unnecessary risk into the mix, and relied on a faulty assumption (that Kearse could push Browner back a couple of yards, forcing Butler to alter his route). I personally don't think Lynch would have scored on a running play from that formation the way the Pats were lined up, but I think a different pass play would have worked - really, anything that gave Wilson discretion to make his own decision as to where to throw the ball. Carroll did what Diaco did, to an extent - took discretion away from his QB and made an error in judgment to boot, so the QB was stuck running a play that was not going to work.

What surprises me is that, with the amount of national conversation that went on around that play, Diaco apparently hadn't worked through his own "what would I do from the one-yard-line in that situation" priority list. He was stuck on the knee-jerk, most basic analysis of "run the ball, stupid." So, not only was he not prepared to call the next play after the catch at the 1-yard-line (using the timeout, which is really inexcusable), but he defaulted to the "judgment of the masses" and ran a pretty obvious play that was likely not to leave time for a follow-up.

Reaction Score
This was even WORSE than Tom Coughlin's inept clock management last year with the Giants!
At least he won a few Super Bowls. Don't compare him to Diaco. Doesn't make sense to do that.

Reaction Score
This team seems to suffer from serious over coaching as though the players are inexperienced freshmen. This is not a young team but the ultra conservative play calling has hamstrung them in both games so far - as it did last year. Let the players play - use their talents. Field punts, pass the ball, mix it up, use the tight ends!! Play calling is way too conservative. Pass plays are called mainly when the team is behind. And why are they getting behind - giving away possessions with ultra coder stove play calls. Johnson by the way is not thunder as he goes down way too easily for a supposed power runner.

THIS....

Reaction Score
I feel a little better this morning. Now that I was able to go to a family adult outting with the wife. Had a few beers, got on the make shift dance floor. Danced and drank a little bit of the pain off from yesterday's game.

My heart goes out to the kids, plain and simple.

We clearly have talent on this football team that is yet to be unleashed on offense.

But, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. If the coaching staff doesn't make FBS P5 play calling like what they should've done yesterday, it's not out of the question that more coaching changes can be warranted. Notto mention we can forget about a P5 conference calling us. Don't care how many corporate credentials we have to justify we might belong. You just can't do things like this in a live game. All that crap shoulda been worked in the Sprimg, Summer workouts, then Fall camp.

We all bleed Husky Blue here. We all saw the same thing yesterday. Totally inexcusable to give away a game when wins are crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom