UConn v. Merrimack (Tuesday 1/7/20 @ XL @ 7:05p) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Merrimack (Tuesday 1/7/20 @ XL @ 7:05p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talk about lurching from one extreme to another. They were playing reasonably well after the BC series before the Christmas break, now they are going down the elevator shaft without the elevator.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You don't need an on-campus rink to not no-show against Merrimack twice. Excuses.

Reaction Score
The gentleman who stands outside the XL Center and plays his harmonica has 10x more moxie than our team..

Reaction Score
I would have left after two periods but they scored just before the second period ended. My mistake.

Unless you sat through that first period tonight I don't think my explanation or any box score could do it justice to just how excruciating it was to watch. Horrible play against a HORRIFIC team..... a team that started 3 freshman and a freshman goaltender. And we get our ass whooped.

Ricky Gervais should have been the PA announcer tonight.

If things don't miraculously turnaround quickly I just don't see how changes aren't made soon.

Reaction Score
Went to the game tonight, and the previous comments are 100% correct. No energy, no enthusiasm, just going through the motions. Almost as tough to watch as a UCONN football game!
Oh, and they can't build the on campus arena soon enough. I would put 1,000 max at the XL tonight. Building had zero energy, and quite frankly was sad.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Went to the game tonight, and the previous comments are 100% correct. No energy, no enthusiasm, just going through the motions. Almost as tough to watch as a UCONN football game!
Oh, and they can't build the on campus arena soon enough. I would put 1,000 max at the XL tonight. Building had zero energy, and quite frankly was sad.
Hard to have any energy when your team is completely outplayed from the outset of the game by a lesser team. I’ve had season tickets since 2014 and I’ve been to plenty of games that have been crazy loud. By the way, attendance was 2953, just below the season average for a home game. Not bad for a Tuesday night. UConn is currently 7th in Home attendance in the HE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What a waste of talen. 12 turnovers in the defensive end in the first period alone. It's very hard to watch and Cav is a very good recruiter but can game day coach worth a lick. To play like this after the mess against Northeastern, 3rd period in that game wasn't awful, shows he might be losing this team. Sad effort against a weak MC team.

Reaction Score
Hard to have any energy when your team is completely outplayed from the outset of the game by a lesser team. I’ve had season tickets since 2014 and I’ve been to plenty of games that have been crazy loud. By the way, attendance was 2953, just below the season average for a home game. Not bad for a Tuesday night. UConn is currently 7th in Home attendance in the HE.
PAID attendance was 2,953. Fannies in seats probably less than 1,500. Many season ticketholder no-shows. But Trinity is ranked #1 in D3. Might check them out.

Reaction Score

>>“I apologize to all the fans that came out because they didn’t see a team customary to what we usually put on the ice,” head coach Mike Cavanaugh said. “We did not compete for 60 minutes, they were the better team. They deserved to win and we have not played well the last two games.”<<

>>“Quite frankly, the last two games started the same way and we start feeling sorry for ourselves,” Cavanaugh said. “Maybe that’s confidence, maybe not. Instead of playing downhill, we’re playing uphill all game. Unfortunately, we’re letting one goal turn into two goals turn into three goals instead of just saying ‘Okay they scored a goal, let’s get back to what we do well.’ Maybe that’s confidence, I don’t know. I know it’s not the way we wanted to play.”<<

Reaction Score
A terrible performance. You’d think it was the Bruins out there. Left early again. Not a watchable product at this point. They are going to alienate even their most staunch proponents if these absolute stinkers persist. I have spoken.
I couldn't of said that any better. I thought last Friday night was the worst I witnessed, but this was pure misery.

Reaction Score
I missed last night but was there Friday. There was a good crowd that night but it’s tough to get the crowd into it if your team is looking like they’d rather be home watching season 3 of Mrs Maisal. And I hope the goalie has his insurance paid up. He gets zero support. One tweet said without his play it could have been 4-1 after 1.

Reaction Score
I too left early - first time ever. So disappointing. Not sure if they were disinterested, distracted or whatever. Time to look in the mirror and fix the problem. If you are a NHL draftee, how do you think your play looks?? If you hope to play past college, why should anyone sign you?? Play with some pride, and play for each other. This was a winnable game and you came out flat again. I am a huge UConn sports fanatic; hockey is my favorite sport. I've been to Ireland, Las Vegas, and Hanover NH to watch you play, and I'll be in Bridgeport. Show me I'm not wasting my time or money.
Passionate rant over.

Reaction Score
Cav says they put their heads down and sulk after a goal and it snowballs.
I'm more concerned with their play BEFORE the first goal allowed.
They played like sh!!!t from the opening tip, never mind after MC scored their first goal.
And honestly our first goal never should have gone in it was shot almost from the boards at a horrible angle. Our offense was putrid.
Time to just pull names out of a hat for the next game to make the lines.

Reaction Score
Absolutely awful effort last night as everyone has said. I debated leaving after the 2nd until that late goal and stayed till the bitter end hoping to see some effort. I did get to catch a puck in the third which made the evening for me. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_214607.jpg
    IMG_20200107_214607.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 342
Reaction Score
In early December, we all saw a glimmer of hope. It turned out to be a false sense of hope though. In reality, other than beating two terrible teams - Miami and Vermont 4 straight, this season has pretty much been a disaster.

Losing 6-2 to a bad Merrimack team is the new low. Barely getting a tie vs. St. Lawrence (the dregs of the ECAC) and blowing a 2 goal lead vs. Dartmouth in the Ledyard Classic were bad enough. We looked like "guano" vs. NE, but I kept my powder dry. I thought that surely Cavanaugh would rally the troops to take out lowly Merrimack. But out came the listless Huskies and put up a real stinker.

Cavanaugh should be canned now. Put Pereira, "Micky the Dunce" or whoever behind the bench for the rest of the season. End the ignominious reign of the Cavanaugh now!

Reaction Score
Not a lot to add. Just plain embarrassing quite frankly. I am OK if we lose when there seems to be effort and intensity yet there was clearly none.

I think the season has been awful. The goalie has not helped either so it’s been a conglomeration of crap. I thought this was a year to reasonably expect to get into top 5 of league based on perceived talent. Now it will be a minor miracle if we squeak into the 8th seed. Os the talent overrated or is the coaching a problem? Also I think whoever handles our defensive “system” needs to be replaced or changed immediately. We turn the puck over constantly And are generally terrible in that phase.

Reaction Score
We simply can't have nice men's sports at UConn.

It's time to start asking why that is.

Where is AD Dave? He's the Captain of this ship. He sets the tone, the culture, the morale, the goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom