UConn v. Boston University (Friday 2/21 @ 7:05 @ XL & Saturday 2/22 @ Agannis Arena @ 7p on NESN) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Boston University (Friday 2/21 @ 7:05 @ XL & Saturday 2/22 @ Agannis Arena @ 7p on NESN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My issue with the post has nothing to do with the Courant's coverage. It's the circular firing squad of one fan base taking down another to support their team. It's stupid. Why not just make the point about the hockey team's coverage?

Also: 1) it's not "PC" to cover the women, its business, they are infinitely more popular than the hockey team (and I like the hockey team more but that's the facts), and 2) to call into question what the womens team has accomplished to make the case for hockey is ridiculous.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That ain’t hyperbole either...

008.jpg

Reaction Score
I couldn’t agree more with this post. Why do we have to put down the women’s team to make a point. I’m a fan of all UConn sports and I don’t begrudge coverage of any team. I read them all. Newspapers are on life support - they are trying to sell papers. I’d love to see more hockey coverage but I go elsewhere to get it. Huge hockey East game last night and only 5600 people show up. Let’s see how many will be there Friday night.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I couldn’t agree more with this post. Why do we have to put down the women’s team to make a point. I’m a fan of all UConn sports and I don’t begrudge coverage of any team. I read them all. Newspapers are on life support - they are trying to sell papers. I’d love to see more hockey coverage but I go elsewhere to get it. Huge hockey East game last night and only 5600 people show up. Let’s see how many will be there Friday night.
5600 is probably the highest attendance for all of HE this weekend. The Courant should be better. It doesn’t have to be at the cost of covering other teams. They can expand the sports section from five to six pages on a Monday. They are at fault here. They don’t get my money because of stuff like this.

Reaction Score

I admit to having a wife who is a newspaper reporter (not at the Courant). When UConn joined Hockey East, the Courant started to cover their games. They pretty much stopped last year, and if I had to make a guess, it was due to budget cuts that required them to have less reporters on staff. Hard to cover games when you can't pay to have reporters to do it.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I admit to having a wife who is a newspaper reporter (not at the Courant). When UConn joined Hockey East, the Courant started to cover their games. They pretty much stopped last year, and if I had to make a guess, it was due to budget cuts that required them to have less reporters on staff. Hard to cover games when you can't pay to have reporters to do it.
Then they should sub it out to the UConn blog or something. Take a picture and do a game report. Not that hard.

Reaction Score
My issue with the post has nothing to do with the Courant's coverage. It's the circular firing squad of one fan base taking down another to support their team. It's stupid. Why not just make the point about the hockey team's coverage?

Also: 1) it's not "PC" to cover the women, its business, they are infinitely more popular than the hockey team (and I like the hockey team more but that's the facts), and 2) to call into question what the womens team has accomplished to make the case for hockey is ridiculous.
Ah, the "straw man" argument. Did I question whether the women's basketball team is more popular than the men's hockey team? NO. Did I question whether the women's basketball team has accomplished more than the men's hockey team? NO. I am NOT putting down the team. I am putting down the Courant's coverage of UConn hockey. I am a big fan of the women's basketball team, but I don't believe full front sports page articles about two basketball players who have had little (if any) impact on the success of the team warrant more coverage than a page four, three-paragraph article about a rising hockey team (playing in the best hockey league in the country) that just upset a nationally ranked BU squad (and again tonight @BU 6-1).

Reaction Score
I'll start a separate thread tomorrow if the state paper buries the hockey team off the front page of the sports section.
At that point it will be worthy of being split out as a convo piece IMO

Reaction Score
If the XL Center isn't rammed next Friday I'll be really upset. Amazing weekend.
It will be. We just got almost 6k and now next weekend we are gunning for 1st round home ice. This state loves hockey if u feed them good hockey. Its been rare over the past 40 years.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I'll start a separate thread tomorrow if the state paper buries the hockey team off the front page of the sports section.
At that point it will be worthy of being split out as a convo piece IMO
I don’t even see a mention. Oops, check that...page E5...I bought a .99 cent “e” subscription this morning.
7101EF63-737D-4EDE-8984-CDD7F9F3BFC7.jpeg

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
5600 is probably the highest attendance for all of HE this weekend. The Courant should be better. It doesn’t have to be at the cost of covering other teams. They can expand the sports section from five to six pages on a Monday. They are at fault here. They don’t get my money because of stuff like this.
they don't do stuff like this because they don't get your money.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
they don't do stuff like this because they don't get your money.
I gave them 99 cents this morning. That bought me 12 weeks of the e newspaper. So they got something.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I gave them 99 cents this morning. That bought me 12 weeks of the e newspaper. So they got something.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If the XL Center isn't rammed next Friday I'll be really upset. Amazing weekend.
Very happy I spent my 2 free ticket offer on next friday's hockey game over men's or womens basketball.

Reaction Score
Was at the game last night. Scoring ~1 min into the 3rd completely demoralized BU. UConn outplayed them for the first 30 min, but after they went up 2-0, BU controlled the final 10 min of the 2nd (and got their only goal). But the 3rd period BU essentially gave up when it went to 3-1 so early on. I was shocked to see them come out flat in the first especially coming off an L the night before.

A strong contingent of UConn fans at the game as well! Hopefully heading up to Lowell in a few weeks for the HE season finale.

Reaction Score
I think in a way BU was demoralized because it was UConn, a program the view as somewhat beneath them. to lose as they did last night when they pretty much had the game in the bag then have the Huskies come out fired up last night was just too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom