UConn Summer Ball 2021 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Summer Ball 2021

Reaction Score

It was certainly a very good week for Brendan O'Donnell. His ERA for most of the summer season has hovered around 5.00 or so. O'Donnell's performance this week was good enough to get his summer season ERA down to 3.37. To his credit, O'Donnell has been used quite a bit by the Vermont NECBL team (as opposed to the Vermont Frontier League team). O'Donnell is fifth on the team for innings pitched (24 innings), and is fourth on the for number of appearances at 13, all in relief. He also has 8 walks in 24 innings, which isn't bad at all, especially for a young pitcher. The NECBL is in the last week of the summer season before the playoffs start, it will be interesting to see how O'Donnell progresses from here.

Reaction Score

Norwich can certainly use the three runs (they have had problems on offense of late) from the Korey Morton homer. On that basis (plus the fact that he is indeed a Husky), we have to be pleased.

Had a tiring day at work today, so I'm not at the game tonight. My wife is at the game, and sent me a message about the Korey Morton homer just before I saw this. Morton takes huge swings at almost every pitch he goes after, and she is afraid this will just encourage him to continue with the huge swings. I definitely agree with her from what I have seen of him this summer. Before this game started, Morton was hitting .218 for the summer season for Norwich. My wife and I both wish he took an approach at the plate that took more advantage of his speed, just putting the ball in play and cutting down on his strikeouts. This summer he has strikeouts in close to half of his official at bats. As I've mentioned before, he takes the huge swings and will swing at virtually anything, he does not really show good strike zone judgement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As of July 15, Simmons was hitting .189 in 12 games played. No doubt he had to work himself back from the injury that ended his UConn season. Since that date Simmons has gotten very hot at the plate, and is now hitting .324 with 4 homers and 3 doubles in 71 official at bats. He now has a .422 on base percentage, and a .563 slugging percentage. Only real blemish is that he strikes out in a bit over a third of his at bats. Still, definitely looking forward to seeing how he does at UConn next season.

Reaction Score
Incoming transfer Ben Huber:

It is really amazing in a summer season that last just over a couple months how much player movement there is with summer ball. Definitely seeing it with Norwich this summer, as players just come and go.

Always seems like the Cape Cod teams pick up new players just before their playoffs start. Be interesting to see how Ben Huber does with this brief stint with Bourne.

Reaction Score
Norwich is in the 5th inning, and Korey Morton has 4 hits so far. He is putting the ball in play tonight, and using his speed, it is good to see. Two of the hits were infield singles, and he also turned a solid single to right center into a double. So far he has scored twice, and has 3 rbi's. Norwich up 12-0 after 5 innings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Norwich is in the 5th inning, and Korey Morton has 4 hits so far. He is putting the ball in play tonight, and using his speed, it is good to see. Two of the hits were infield singles, and he also turned a solid single to right center into a double. So far he has scored twice, and has 3 rbi's. Norwich up 12-0 after 5 innings.

Reaction Score

Chudoba’s Cape League numbers have been very impressive, especially coming from a school like assumption. Having pitching depth always helps, especially in the college game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom