11 is way better than 2..!! :)
- Apr 1, 2013
Last season, UConn scored the fewest points per game, 78.9 ppg, in over a dozen years. In addition, the two leading scorers, Crystal and Megan, left for the NBA and took their 1,078 points with them. What in the world makes anyone think this season could see a record scoring season from the Huskies? The answer in a minute, but first, what are the top scoring years for UConn since Geno arrived?
1. In 1998-99, the average was 91.2 per game.
2. In 1994-95, the average was 89.5 per game.
3. In 2017-18, the average was 89.4 per game.
4. In 2014-15, the average was 89.3 per game.
5. In 2015-16, the average was 88.1 per game.
So this year's team would have a long way to go to average enough to break into the top five season's all time, much less set a record. Even breaking the top 10 means scoring 83.9 ppg, every night. Importantly, the opponents from last season that gave up the most points to the Huskies are no longer on the schedule. They included Cincinnati (105), East Carolina (98) and Oklahoma (97). No idea who the weak sisters are in the new Big East, but there will no doubt be a few.
So how does this year's team even score more than last season if the top two scorers are gone from a low scoring team?
1. Christyn, who had a mediocre season, still averaged 14.6 ppg vs Crystal's 14.9. She needs to lead the team in points.
2. Olivia needs to dominate in the paint w/ two full seasons under her belt. Raise the average from 10.9 to 15 or so.
3. Anna should be much improved and skip the 0 for America start from 3 point range. She was the 5th leading scorer at 8 per game & could be 2nd or 3rd this year.
4. Evina is the wildcard. If healthy and playing well, she could replace Crystal's points. Or maybe that is too much to expect.
5. Aubrey may be the 5th starter (early season) and should improve her her 54.4% shooting from inside.
6. The six pictured above will replace Molly, Kyla, Evelyn and Batouly off the bench. (If some don't start.) Expect many more points in the 3rd and 4th quarter when UConn averaged only 37 points per half. In fact, the 4th period last year saw only an average of less than 17 points per game. The 4th period this year may see twice that scoring with the Huskie puppies running wild.
Don't look for any scoring records this year. But the overall scoring should be more balanced and better than last year's 78.9 per game average. The returning players, Crystal, Olivia, Anna & Aubrey should all be much improved. Evina needs to get & stay healthy... But it is that depth off the bench that will drive the scoring in quarters 2 thru 4..!!
Opinions?? Leading scorer this season?