UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 34 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
e
I just verified that my memory hasn't failed me completely:

NCAA Division I Women's Records:

Fewest point per game allowed: 46.2, UConn 2010

Lowest shooting percentage allowed: 30.0%, UConn 2010

That team included Maya, Tina, Kalana, Caroline, Tiffany, Kelly, and Lorin. In the Big East tourney, we gave up 41 to Syracuse, 44 to Notre Dame, and 32 to West Virginia. That's 39 ppg. Outstanding!

You're right, that was outstanding. It's a record I'd really like to see the 2017-2018 team try to break (or at least match). If they can successfully keep 90% of the teams they play under 50 points, they're going to win a lot of games.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Megan reminds me of Maya, very quick and energized.

I wonder if Walker is the 2nd coming of Maya? From all of the reports, press releases and video we've seen, she looks like she could be. I really don't like to compare players to others, especially our freshmen. They've got enough pressure (expectations) on them already. But it would be wonderful if she proved to be, or came very close? :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wonder if Walker is the 2nd coming of Maya? From all of the reports, press releases and video we've seen, she looks like she could be. I really don't like to compare players to others, especially our freshmen. They've got enough pressure (expectations) on them already. But it would be wonderful if she proved to be, or came very close? :rolleyes:
There's really only one Maya, but Meg's size, skills, and game are somewhat similar to Maya's. Some of us think that her game is also similar to that of Catch. Both are outstanding.

Reaction Score
There's really only one Maya, but Meg's size, skills, and game are somewhat similar to Maya's. Some of us think that her game is also similar to that of Catch. Both are outstanding.
I like Walker's game a lot and I agree that the physical skills may be comparable but IMO the development needed to get near Moore's level for her or any player will need to take place in that 6 inch area between her ears. Moore's mental game was and is elite.

JS

Reaction Score
Now that the HS season is thoroughly over, we'll take a break from pinning the exploits of the UConn signees and commits, though the thread will remain open.

Expect C. Collier as the first headliner of a tentative new thread a couple months from now -- and maybe by then another player or two to follow in AAU ball.

If there's not enough of interest going on in the summer for the class of 2018 and beyond, then we'll delay the new megathread until the fall.

Thanks to all who made this thread consistently informative and downright exciting for the future of Husky bball.

Reaction Score

No way. No way I see that. Maya's shot - a jump shot- was freaky great.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Good players come along every year. Great iconic players like Maya come along every 15-20 years. Walker was the best high school could offer up this year. We're so glad she wanted to be a Husky. How special she'll be, we'll just have to wait and see over the next four years. UConn fans will want to see because we haven't seen her at this level yet, and playing in Geno's system no less.

We'll just have to wait until UConn's summer tour games to get our first look at Miss Megan aka Megatron. That's better than having to wait until November. Let the games begin.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Megan reminds me of Maya, very quick and energized.

........and her shot is smooth as a baby's cheek.

Reaction Score
Whether Megan Walker is the second coming of Maya--that remains to be seen. But it is also too early to not to expect outstanding results from Ms Walker over the next few years.
As for me: I'm willing to allow Megans game to speak for her. Maya was Maya, Dt Was DT, Sue was Sue, Morgan was Morgan--stand alones --Ms Walker is Ms Walker --which can be said for the transfers and the new freshmen, let them show their game before we compare any one--until then we are comparing College standouts to High School kids very unfair!!!

Reaction Score
I like Walker's game a lot and I agree that the physical skills may be comparable but IMO the development needed to get near Moore's level for her or any player will need to take place in that 6 inch area between her ears. Moore's mental game was and is elite.
As a fteshman---Maya had issues in that 6 inch space---Geno was on her case over Defense and ONLY wanting to be a jump shooter---seems like a repetitive theme?? Believe it or not Maya became Maya with some Geno coaching---but that probably won't work with Ms Walker will it??

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Perhaps this is posted in one of the other threads today though I can't find it.

Lexi Gordon's mom posted a few photos of the freshmen moving into their dorms. Hope it's okay to post one.

DBCDCXKVYAA7Tny.jpg

Reaction Score
There may be high expectations on the freshmen class because of their talent, but not that much pressure. None of the freshmen are expected to start or be a difference maker in game situations. Last year somewhat unproven players needed to step up and they did that marvelously. There is a lot of experienced depth, so the rookies will be able to ease into it this coming season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I expect this will be a very challenging year for the coaching staff in managing player development and player expectations. This will make for great fun for us as fans as we measure who comes in when for whom and with what results. The odd man out could be Molly Bent. She has demonstrated basketball acumen and skills, but ended the year with her head still getting in the way. Jump that hurdle and she will hold her own.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The freshmen can lean on each other and bond even more. This is better than having a 1-player class. Geno can bring them along slowly. I expect that all can score effectively in "garbage time" and increase our leads. I think that all will play some in the first half of selected games. I think that Mikayla will be the biggest surprise.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is posted in one of the other threads today though I can't find it.

Lexi Gordon's mom posted a few photos of the freshmen moving into their dorms. Hope it's okay to post one.

DBCDCXKVYAA7Tny.jpg

Ahhhh! The day we've been waiting for since their decision to attend UConn was announced. I see championship pedigree in this photo. No doubt they've been looking forward to this day as well. Let their journey begin.

Thought: We've had The BIG 3, and The Core Four. Is it too early to christen this group of ladies with a name?
Do we dare? If we do, what moniker that is unique and accurately describes them can we give them?

Carnac

Reaction Score
There may be high expectations on the freshmen class because of their talent, but not that much pressure. None of the freshmen are expected to start or be a difference maker in game situations. Last year somewhat unproven players needed to step up and they did that marvelously. There is a lot of experienced depth, so the rookies will be able to ease into it this coming season.

Agreed!! Stevens & Camara's presence on the team will buy them time needed to get acclimated and adjust to this level of play. Kia & Gabby will be gone after this year. The freshmen will be needed and called upon to play, and play well next year. This year, they sit, watch and learn.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Not so fast my friend. Maya didn't look like the Maya we now know her first day on campus. She was coached, cultivated and nurtured by Geno and staff. The same staff that will coach Megan. I realize Maya as a UConn icon and legend. She's on the "Mount Rushmore" of UConn women basketball players.I'm not saying she is, I'm just wondering IF she may be. Another Maya will come along someday. If not at UConn, then somewhere else.

It's almost unfair to compare any player to her, the pressure and expectations to rise her game to that level, and maintain it, would be enormous. Extraordinarily great players do come along from time to time. Only time will tell if Megan is one of those players. We should know by the end of her junior year, maybe sooner.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We've had The BIG 3, and The Core Four. Is it too early to christen this group of ladies with a name?
I suggest we wait to see how these young ladies develop before we hang a nickname on them. After all, the Big 3 and the Core 4 earned their nicknames with their play on the court. So too will this wonderful freshmen class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom